***2021 NFL PLAYOFFS - WILD CARD ROUND***

31 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Hate hate hate instant reply. Just ruins the flow of the game and makes refs afraid to make a definitive call. Get the game out of the sky box and put on the field of play where it belongs and let the chips fall where they may good or bad. 

I agree with you but there’s no going back at this point, especially with gambling. 

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I was in Europe during the World Cup….  It is a life changing experience.   These same people think American Football is a dull game full of very non athletic big men needing of protection.  The world of fútbol fans to football fans is probably 10 to 1.  

Im no soccer fan but it is HUGE except for here……..

Call me the typical American sports fan then. I've tried to watch it. I truly have. But it does nothing for me.  I really don't care what the rest of the world finds entertaining.  I don't see the point.  And the World Cup is popular because it adds nationalism to an event that takes place once every four years.  If Football was a global sport and had a true world championship with games between countries once every four years, people in this country would be out of their minds. It would be the Super Bowl x 10.  

Yes they did. Apparently people have a never ending hunger to see the same movie just with some names changed.
I honestly think their popularity is a result of the isolated social environment we live in. Its like a drug ... kids actually believe they can be super heros or at least 'special' for a week on youtube.

Add up the money going into any super hero movie and put it up against the budget for The Godfather, Saving Priva tr e Ryan, JAWS, Alien, The Departed, The Hateful 8 ...

Then tell me which movies are of better quality.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

• Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

Is this what the NFL meant by Super WildCard Weekend:

- 4 blowouts

- 1 game marred by an egregious officiating mistake

- 1 game ending on an epic bonehead play

This has just been a horrendous slate of games.  Only good to come out of this weekend was watching the Pats get blown out.

Goodell will see the solution as “we need to add more teams to the playoffs”

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

In a sport where 3-4 plays determine a game, it is important to get the calls right.  You are exaggerating.  I don't mind the occasional delay to correct mistakes.  Every sport uses the technology now.  It's never going away.  

Really not exaggerating just look at the process I know it’s here to stay but it takes way too long and I just don’t like it. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Call me the typical American sports fan then. I've tried to watch it. I truly have. But it does nothing for me.  I really don't care what the rest of the world finds entertaining.  I don't see the point.  And the World Cup is popular because it adds nationalism to an event that takes place once every four years.  If Football was a global sport and had a true world championship with games between countries once every four years, people in this country would be out of their minds. It would be the Super Bowl x 10.  

I get it. I used to be you.  I have been studying Spanish intensely the last few years and soccer is key to the culture.  Ive grown to respect it.  When Maradona passed, Argentina shutdown for  days.   That’s one of many examples.  

Just now, CSNY said:

Really not exaggerating just look at the process I know it’s here to stay but it takes way too long and I just don’t like it. 

Plus there’s no more spontaneous happiness for fans anymore.  Everything is replayed so their excitement is tempered and they can only cheer after the game screeches to a halt for the refs to review the play. Then the ref announcement (rather than a great play) brings about cheering.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CSNY said:

I would love to see a time limit on reviews.  They are supposed to correct obvious errors only.  So if you can't look at the tape and see quickly and easily that a mistake was made, stick with the call on the field.  60 or 90 econds shoudl be plenty of time.

Too many officials are now using replay as a crutch.  Not sure what call to make,  call it a TD or a turnover and you get an automatic review,  Replay or not, refs need to be decisive and make what they think are the right calls on the field.  The catch-no catch from earlier tonight where no call was made on the field unitl after about 7 or 8 minutes of on-field conferences shoud not happen.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Plus there’s no more spontaneous happiness for fans anymore.  Everything is replayed so their excitement is tempered and they can only cheer after the game screeches to a halt for the refs to review the play. Then the ref announcement (rather than a great play) brings about cheering.

Exactly. Ruins the entire flow of the game Hated it since the inception hate it even more now 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I would love to see a time limit on reviews.  They are supposed to correct obvious errors only.  So if you can't look at the tape and see quickly and easily that a mistake was made, stick with the call on the field.  60 or 90 econds shoudl be plenty of time.

Too many officials are now using replay as a crutch.  Not sure what call to make,  call it a TD or a turnover and you get an automatic review,  Relay or not, refs need to be decisive and make what they think are the right calls on the field.  The catch-no catch from earlier tonight where no call was made on the field unitl after about 7 or 8 minutes of on-field conferences shoud not happen.

That was the rule at one point.  They had like 30 seconds to review.  The idea was to only overturn the obvious.  We’re too far along though.  Things aren’t going back (certainly not anytime soon) 

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Too many officials are now using replay as a crutch.  Not sure what call to make,  call it a TD or a turnover and you get an automatic review,  Relay or not, refs need to be decisive and make what they think are the right calls on the field.  The catch-no catch from earlier tonight where no call was made on the field unitl after about 7 or 8 minutes of on-field conferences shoud not happen.

I could swear that when it started there was a time limit where if the ref was still trying to make a decision the screen would go blank. Now a decision sometimes takes longer than watching Godfathers 1&2 back to back 

Now that’s an exaggeration ?

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

There are just too many stoppages in football. 

That a football fan would make fun of soccer for being boring is laughable.

Its pretty crazy. It's even more bizarre that pretty much all of them are just advertisements. 

Of more than 3 hours of transmission there are only on average 18 minutes of actua football. More than 50 minutes of advertisements that come in more than 20 breaks. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I get it. I used to be you.  I have been studying Spanish intensely the last few years and soccer is key to the culture.  Ive grown to respect it.  When Maradona passed, Argentina shutdown for  days.   That’s one of many examples.  

There are so many things about the sport I just don't understand that take away from it.  The object of offensive strategy is to draw a foul in the penalty area, resulting a penalty kick that has about an 80% chance of scoring when there is about a 0-5% chance of scoring on the play with the foul.  The exaggeration of players when there is contact is comical.  They fall down in like they were shot in a B movie.  It is way too easy to play prevent defense.  The offsides rule is a joke and changing it would make the sport great, but....  And games decided by penalty kicks are the biggest joke in sports.  It is like having a FG contest with only FG kickers on the field decide a football game, or having a HR derby decide a baseball game, or a free throw shooting contest decide a hoops game.  Play 9 on 9, then 8 on 8 and so on - or anything resembling the actual sport.  I can't get past PKs.  

As for national heroes, we have the same thing in this country for Olympic champions- and nobody - NOBODY watches Olympic sports outside the Olympics.  Nationalism breeds interest like nothing else. Would anyone know who Michael Phelps was if not for the Olympics, Does anyone watch gymnastics in non-olympic years?  If football was a global sport, some of these players would be 10X more popular in the US then they are now if they were winning world championships against teams from other countries once every 4 years.  Maradona was an Argentinian winning World Cups for Argentina.  Tom Brady is winning Super Bowls for a team from Boston or Tampa and he is from California by way of Michigan....

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Too many officials are now using replay as a crutch.  Not sure what call to make,  call it a TD or a turnover and you get an automatic review,  Replay or not, refs need to be decisive and make what they think are the right calls on the field.  The catch-no catch from earlier tonight where no call was made on the field unitl after about 7 or 8 minutes of on-field conferences shoud not happen.

I really wish the Dallas fans had better aim with their trash.  The refs deserved more than cups and wrappers thrown at them.

• Thumb Down 1