You are the Jets GM: First Round question

3 hours ago, viffer said:

We've swung for the fences a million times over the years, and 99% of the time it didn't work out. If I had a dollar for every "swing for the fences" pick that never panned out I could afford to buy the team from Woody Woodpecker. We are in a position to add 2 of the 10 best players in all of college football in the first round. We need 2 day-one starters in the first round.

I’d’ve taken Wirfs over Becton, I’ve said it a number of times, but I can’t really fault JD going for the potential Becton offered there. Those best available players need to be graded on the curve of premium positions, though. If you don’t do that, you wind up with Jamal Adams at #6 overall, Saquan Barkley at #2, etc. It’s just poor team building and roster management at that point. You find starting caliber S, TE, RB, IOL, LB in the third round or later every year. If you’re spending a top ten pick on those positions, that player needs to be a superstar to justify taking him over an Edge or WR graded similarly. 

• Upvote 1