Quadruple Down on OL

Dunnie

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I dont care about DL or Edge nearly as much. Like QB .. we need to find the guys that can dominate on OL... Vera Tucker is for real ... that about it.

I say take every goddam OL player in the fing draft and keep only the best.

Use our treasure trove of cap space to fill in the rest in FA.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

It's possible Neal will be available at #4.  Linderbaum will almost certainly be as well (though I doubt he lasts until #10).

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I think they are going to either go 2 offense 2 defense or 3 offense and 1 defense.

The last couple of weeks. Minus yesterday the OL was pretty good. It can absolutely use improvement but I am hoping that a move of Becton to the right side and a draft pick and a free agent makes this OL solid.

To me I am looking in no particular order

Big WR (Julio Jones, A.J Green type)

Edge

OL

Linebacker

• Like 1

We need guys that can get open and catch more than anything else.

WR's and TE's should be the priority these off-season.  More than anything else...
Disagree ... without an inpenatrable OL these positions get stifled.

• Upvote 1

I just fell like an OL like this is sufficient...
Fant - AVT - McGovern - LDT - Becton/Moses/FA

I hear you .. but sufficient simply is not good enough.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, if they stay healthy. I think because of the zone  blocking scheme I think the “all O line” contingent is going to be dissapointed. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

We shouldn’t overreact to a game where we started 1 of 5 players on the line initially slated to start at season open.

And the LT was option 4.

Yes this. Our defense needs to get off the field and right now another running back(bruiser type) in my opinion and a big true number one that can get open and catch the ball. TE needs to be 100% revamped. Wow, so bad. 

• Upvote 2

I think people are going to be disappointed if they think the jets are bringing in that much help for the offensive line this year.

Fant, Becton, AVT, McGovern, McDermott are all likely to be here.  Feeney and Clarke have a decent shot at remaining.  Moses and LDT could very well resign.  

I really see only a mid tier free agent (Laken Tomlinson?) and a 2nd or 3rd round center.  

Fant, AVT, McG, Tomlinson, Becton is a pretty good line, with Moses, McDermott, LDT, Clarke and Patterson backing them up.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I dont care about DL or Edge nearly as much. Like QB .. we need to find the guys that can dominate on OL... Vera Tucker is for real ... that about it.

Obviously i am being snarky .. but my sentiment is real.

I get the frustration and snark.  With that said...

As yesterday showed, when the Defense plays better, the Offense is given many more possessions to try and do something.

And this Defense is historically bad.  The NFL is dominated by Offense, yes, and I'm for drafting alot more Offense, but the Defense must at least be competent if we're to become competitive.  

The strength of the draft @ #4 is likely an elite edge prospect, and I'm good with taking one.  Combined with the return of Lawson, I hope to some degree what he was pre-injury, we should have a materially better pass-rush, which has exponential effects on the rest of the Defense, especially the DB's in coverage.

With that said, I also think we need help at WR, OL, TE and RB, in that order.

As such, I draft a WR at #10 (my early hope is Garrett Wilson, who comps and as a guy similar to the WFT's McLaurin, which would be invaluable for young Mr. Wilson the QB.  Wilson-Davis-Moore-Berrios?  Yeah, I can get with that.

After that, in rounds 2-5 I tend to feel a split of O and D is right, picking up say, a Center, TE, LB and Safety the rest of the way out.

Not perfect, and we do have a TON of cap space, so some needs can and should be filled that way too, but this is where I stand today.  It's a long way still till the draft, so we'll see.

• Upvote 4

There’s no such thing as an impenetrable offensive line. The line improved over the course of the year as they learned and gained experience in the system. Either upgrade the doctor in free agency or resign him, make an offer to Moses as well, get Becton back, and start drafting developmental guys in the third round or later. The OL isn’t the primary problem on offense anymore, they need a new best WR and a couple starting caliber TEs. 

Oh, and they need an Edge desperately, whether you care or not. A defense that can stop the opposition helps the offense a lot, too. 
I wss an edge first guy until our entire oline got injured or sucked.

As stated above by FJ and ZachEY, our line prior to the injuries to McGovern and Fant was playing really well. A big piece of the problem yesterday was nobody being open as well as reserves at key line positions. If we get our receivers healthy and add another top receiver plus a TE that can get open then Zach wont require as much time to throw. Free agency will determine our draft priorities.

• Like 1

Just now, Dunnie said:

Cant tell if being sarcastic

Why would you take that sarcastically?  When healthy, it's by far the best unit on the team.  Head and shoulders better than every other unit.  Legit, not close.  Bring back Becton/Fant/AVT/LDT/Moses/McGovern and the OL is once again the strength of the team.  If you want to upgrade an IOL spot, ok cool, I I wont argue but I would absolutely not use a 1st round pick on OL.  It's the least of the Jets priorities.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1

I don't  see how anyone who watched this defense play all season wants to draft anything that is not a LB or edge. Our run D was swiss cheese and we have no pass rush. Allen was sitting in the pocket with all the time in the world yesterday.  Fix the D and your O won't  have to score every time they get the ball. We went OL in the first round twice with JD. We need to start looking elsewhere. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I wss an edge first guy until our entire oline got injured or sucked.

So you admit that you’re a knee-jerk reactionary? 

What about the entire WR corps that was also out or bad? Or the non-existent TEs or pass rush? 

The OL was playing very well for a good stretch, then got hit by injuries. It happens. It’s not something you overreact to. They need to shore the line up, but there’s no need for triage. They have much bigger needs. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’d add another IOL as well.  There was horrible depth this season.  

The Dr is talking about quitting to be a Doctor, so that would be 2 IOL that need to be added.  

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

The OL is by far the best unit on this team.  By far.  This is a terrible strategy. 

Haha, last game we were down a couple players and they handled Tampa nicely. We lose more pieces, have scraps  at wideout against the best defense in the NFL and now we need to pick nothing but O line?  Why react when you can over react  I guess. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Why would you take that sarcastically?  When healthy, it's by far the best unit on the team.  Head and shoulders better than every other unit.  Legit, not close.  Bring back Becton/Fant/AVT/LDT/Moses/McGovern and the OL is once again the strength of the team.  If you want to upgrade an IOL spot, ok cool, I I wont argue but I would absolutely not use a 1st round pick on OL.  It's the least of the Jets priorities.  

Yes - People are way too worried about yesterdays game.  This team needs playmakers on offense - which, incidentally, will make the offensive line a lot better when you have to worry about anyone getting the ball.

If you're taking an OT, it's because Becton is finished.  Fant was more than sufficient, and Becton takes over the right side.

• Upvote 2

The offensive line did a horrible job run blocking yesterday, but I actually think the pass blocking was OK. 

I am a big Wilson defender, but he was hanging on to the ball way too  long yesterday. I am guessing part of that was due to the WRs being awful and not getting open/running wrong routes/zero chemistry. 

The run blocking had actually been pretty good most of the 2nd half of the season. 

I think we definitely need to draft a Center but unless the Jets have inside info that Becton is toast, then I don't think they are going to go all in o-line this year. 

AVT/LDT/Moses/Becton are likely our starting 4/5 next year. So draft a center high and the maybe a project Tackle/Guard in the later rounds. Edge/WR/CB/TE/C are the most likely targets in top 3 rounds. 

45 minutes ago, slats said:

There’s no such thing as an impenetrable offensive line. The line improved over the course of the year as they learned and gained experience in the system. Either upgrade the doctor in free agency or resign him, make an offer to Moses as well, get Becton back, and start drafting developmental guys in the third round or later. The OL isn’t the primary problem on offense anymore, they need a new best WR and a couple starting caliber TEs. 

Oh, and they need an Edge desperately, whether you care or not. A defense that can stop the opposition helps the offense a lot, too. 

This 100% …..all that investment in the offense is great but we’ll never see them on the field if our defense is being routinely walked up and down the park by every QB and offense it faces. What was the TOP yesterday? …it was horrendous
We need to stop putting Zach and the offense in a hole when the first and only time they sniff possession each quarter is when they are already down a score after 10 minutes having been been sat getting cold on the bench.
There’s no doubt we could upgrade at C or RG but it’s not as urgent as the paucity of talent everywhere else and we shouldn’t need to be burning high draft picks on low value positions. The shortsightedness of neglecting the D because of some deeply flawed “super unit’ o-line wet-dream is mind boggling…meanwhile in Indianapolis, the poster boys for o-line investment will be watching the playoffs at home….again

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Obviously i am being snarky .. but my sentiment is real.

I love the idea of taking care of 1 position group for the next decade.  Taking Neal at #4, then Lindenbaum at #10 if he lasts that long would elevate the offensive line to one of the best in the NFL.

Similarly, taking Hamilton for safety, then Stingley at #4 and #10 would solidify the back end of the defense for years to come.  

Taking one of the premier edge rushers, then the top LB in the draft would solidify the front end of the defense for a long time.

If it were up to me, I would have to take the best edge rusher available at #4, and take the best available O lineman available at #10.  In the second round, take the best available players at the following positions:  1. Wide Receiver 2. linebacker 3. Tight end  4. cornerback  5. Safety.

So, whatever players were the best available at those position groups would be my choice for the 2 second round picks.

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Yes - People are way too worried about yesterdays game.  This team needs playmakers on offense - which, incidentally, will make the offensive line a lot better when you have to worry about anyone getting the ball.

If you're taking an OT, it's because Becton is finished.  Fant was more than sufficient, and Becton takes over the right side.

I don't  understand why everyone wants  to give up on Becton as the LT. Fant filled in admirably but Becton has a much higher ceiling.  The injury this year was a freak accident. We drafted Becton to be the starting LT and Fant to be the depth guy. Fant has tremendous  value to this team and will be extended but I love having him as a plug and play OL. That is something Becton probably can't do. If anything you continue  to start Fant at RT and you can always move him later. We need to see what Becton can do. 

• Upvote 1