Game Observations (BUF)

KRL

I like your plan. My only real change would be using two of the draft picks on a G and C.  As we saw against Buffalo, without an O line, there is no run game and without a run game, there is no offense. I have not been this excited and optimistic about the Jets since Rex rode into town. In a perfect world, in addition to the free agent signings and draft picks, we get healthy and complete and effective seasons from Becton and Lawson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Good read, and I agree with all, except like many others I think the second first rounder should be a WR investment.

I think that’s based on signing a star WR in free agency. Right now, I’m looking for Edge and WR in the first, but that changes if they sign a Robinson or Williams for me. 

But a safety with even a traded down first rounder? No thanks. I’ll take the LB, though. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

I think that’s based on signing a star WR in free agency. Right now, I’m looking for Edge and WR in the first, but that changes if they sign a Robinson or Williams for me. 

But a safety with even a traded down first rounder? No thanks. I’ll take the LB, though. 

Even if they sign A-Rob or Williams (unlikely), I'm still taking a swipe at a 1st round WR.  Maybe that's just me.  But the common thread in watching any half decent team (especially one with a developing or developed young QB) is a deep stable of talented WRs.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I think that’s based on signing a star WR in free agency.

That would certainly change draft priority.

What star WR's are really going to be available/willing to sign here, this offseason? 

I haven't really checked FA yet, as sooooooo many FA's get signed by their old teams long before FA actually seems to start most years.

• Upvote 1

My biggest take away from Zach's performance yesterday was that he needs to learn to escape the pocket without moving backwards 10 yds.

I wanted to blame the WRs yesterday for not being able to get open when the play breaks down - but that's hard for a WR to do when instead of scrambling left or right, the QB is scrambling 10 yds backwards first.

I'm confident Zach will study his game tape this offseason and make the mental changes necessary to fix this going forward.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

That would certainly change draft priority.

What star WR's are really going to be available/willing to sign here, this offseason? 

I haven't really checked FA yet, as sooooooo many FA's get signed by their old teams long before FA actually seems to start most years.

I don’t disagree, was just interpreting KRL’s post. Free agency will go a ways towards determining what they want/need to do in the draft. Like I said, right now I’m Edge and WR, in that order - unless something drastically changes. 

• Upvote 2

I happened to miss yesterdays game, which puts this in a new perspective. But my outcome is the same- injuries. I mean, the o-line may have struggled but Buffalo is tough to go against and if you do not have your best, you are in for a long day. McDermott and Feeney lining up with LDT and Moses does not instill a ton of confidence. Not to mention the mess at WR. Conversely, defense was as healthy as they could be, if you take away the guys who have been listed out for season for some time now. 

These kinds of games prove once again that in the NFL you win with an elite pass rush or a dominant o-line (preferably both). 

I like the offseason plan. I think JD will really focus on building through the draft and therefore play to the strength of it in FA. So yes, a pass rusher at 4 and if we move down a top LB makes sense. Unless Hamilton slides, which maybe what you were thinking. The only thing I'd add is that one of those 2nd round picks should go to TE. The TE class is pretty deep but there are 2-3 guys who have separated themselves. And I want the Jets to get a shot at one of those top guys. TEs in general go bottom 1st, early 2nd. I think there's a chance no TE goes in Rd. 1 this year so the Jets could have their pick of the litter and get a really good one. McBride and Wydermyer come to mind as the best fits within the top tier of prospects. I want a guy who can come in and make an impact right away, who can come in and start to develop chemistry with Zach.    

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, varjet said:

I agree with all of this, including the trade down and positions picked, but I think OL will be the BPA at 4 and WR  be the BPA at 1B.  Defenders and TE will slip into Rd 2. 

Interesting take. So, essentially you think Neal will be the pick at 4? 

I also think this will take us out of the running for one of the top 5, maybe even 6 pass rushers. The pass rusher class is pretty deep once you get passed that top tier - (Ojabo, Karl., Thib., Hutch, Johnson, Walker, Leal). So maybe the Jets zero in on someone they really like. Could be. But I think something unexpected would need to happen for the Jets NOT to take a 1st round pass rusher. I hate to bring it up but it would be a similar mistake JD made when waiting for a WR in the Mims draft.    

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Initial Off-Season Plan

Free Agency

I want Joe Douglas to focus on three positions S, TE and WR.  Here are some potential targets:

S (I was looking at veterans who can be a "gray head" and settle a young secondary)

I wouldn't be against bringing back Marcus Maye and/or LaMarcus Joyner on one year make good deals'

Bring back the injured Lamarcus Joyner?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Draft

I want Douglas to do the following in the draft:

- Use the second #1 pick on either a LB or S

My 2 cents, have at it 

That should be for the C from Iowa

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

I have to say, the more I watch this kid Pinnock, the more I like him. Has size, speed and hits like a Mack truck. Think we really have something in this guy. Wonder if S is going to be where he stays?

he said he wants to do the transition to S during this offseason

• Upvote 2

I think the first thing we need to do is resign the players that actually made a difference this year. Berrios, Moses, Quincy Williams etc.

Also somebody who's coaching on the Defensive side of the ball absolutely sucks! This needs to be addressed immediately as good coaches all around the league are becoming available.

Something on Defense just isn't right, and usually I'm on top of this stuff but I just was unable to be this year.

My point is I want to see them take care of our home base first. Especially Berrios! We better not give this guy away over chump change. Am I the only one who noticed him and Brady whispering to each other after the Tampa Bay game? This has happened to the Jets way too often.

Again the first task at hand is evaluating our current roster. Both of our starting safeties went down and completely took the veteran presence and leadership away from the secondary which is full of first-year starters. Ouch.

Aside of Mosley and Williams I couldn't tell you who the other linebackers are on this team. Obviously we need a pass rusher and it's been that way for years lol.

As far as free agency and the draft we mostly need some Plug and Play guys in my opinion we have some good foundational pieces.

I was impressed with Salehs post game press conference yesterday. He's patient and level-headed and really made it a point to get his message across that he has young guys who are being taught and are learning. Now it's up to JD to keep them and keep them moving forward.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I think the first thing we need to do is resign the players that actually made a difference this year. Berrios, Moses, Quincy Williams etc.

Also somebody who's coaching on the Defensive side of the ball absolutely sucks! This needs to be addressed immediately as good coaches all around the league are becoming available.

Something on Defense just isn't right, and usually I'm on top of this stuff but I just was unable to be this year.

My point is I want to see them take care of our home base first. Especially Berrios! We better not give this guy away over chump change. Am I the only one who noticed him and Brady whispering to each other after the Tampa Bay game? This has happened to the Jets way too often.

Again the first task at hand is evaluating our current roster. Both of our starting safeties went down and completely took the veteran presence and leadership away from the secondary which is full of first-year starters. Ouch.

Aside of Mosley and Williams I couldn't tell you who the other linebackers are on this team. Obviously we need a pass rusher and it's been that way for years lol.

As far as free agency and the draft we mostly need some Plug and Play guys in my opinion we have some good foundational pieces.

I was impressed with Salehs post game press conference yesterday. He's patient and level-headed and really made it a point to get his message across that he has young guys who are being taught and are learning. Now it's up to JD to keep them and keep them moving forward.

Quincy Williams should be back next year as a backup linebacker. He shows flashes, big hits. But I suspect his film grades poorly often. They need an upgrade desperately. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I like your plan. My only real change would be using two of the draft picks on a G and C.  As we saw against Buffalo, without an O line, there is no run game and without a run game, there is no offense. I have not been this excited and optimistic about the Jets since Rex rode into town. In a perfect world, in addition to the free agent signings and draft picks, we get healthy and complete and effective seasons from Becton and Lawson. 

Nobody gets it, but without the OL there is no JETS team. We'll be struggling again next year.

Only 35 weeks to go til KRL's next gameday observations. What a great addition to the board this thread is.

I'm assuming Carl Lawson will shine at the edge like CJ did at LB this year after sitting out so I agree with The Oline as 1st priority. Wouldn't it be great to have a 1st class tight end & WR as well. 

We have a lot of needs actually but other than CJ, our LB core is a joke

The Jets have cap space and draft picks to fill holes in both 2022 and 2023.  My inclination would be to use the cap space where it works and then draft the players that you have to draft.

The reality is that it is hard to find OL, particularly OT, WR and Edge in FA.   We have negotiating power to extend Fant and CM and should do that.  Sign LDT if we can do it early to lock him up.  Send Feeney, GVR, Edoga and McDermott packing.  That is 45% of our OL roster last year.  Find draft picks, FAs and PS players to replace them. 

Teams find a way to sign S, CB and TE every year.  Those are a good use of FA money.  And WR depth.

So the pick 1A really is about who is the best OT or EDGE available  Pick 1B will definitely be a WR.  

4 hours ago, slats said:

He had nowhere to go yesterday behind a makeshift line. Every time he turned around, he had another defender in his face. The worst one was when he ran out of bounds for a nine yard “sack,” but Piñiero bailed him out. Otherwise, for the most part, he at least managed to safely get rid of the ball. It’s to his credit, considering what he faced yesterday, that he managed to finish the season with five straight games without a pick. That’s good stuff. 

Early in the year we were losing games because of Zach. He's worked to improve that and we haven't lost because of him since his return from injury. 

The next big step is for him to start being the reason we win games. That one is a big ask and will potentially take more than next season. We also need to upgrade the talent around him to improve the chance of it happening.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Early in the year we were losing games because of Zach. He's worked to improve that and we haven't lost because of him since his return from injury. 

The next big step is for him to start being the reason we win games. That one is a big ask and will potentially take more than next season. We also need to upgrade the talent around him to improve the chance of it happening.

BIngo. 

I was impressed with Wilson. Got the sh*t kicked out of him but kept getting up time and time again. Wasn't reckless with the ball. Bills defense has been ball hawking at times this season and I expected a pick or 2 but he refused to give the game away when his defense was playing so well. The TD pass was a great arrow between 2 defenders

• Upvote 3