Game Observations (BUF)

KRL

5 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I'm confident Zach will study his game tape this offseason and make the mental changes necessary to fix this going forward.

I hope so too. Wilson strikes me as an earnest, cerebral kind of kid. Someone who needs to understand the big picture of how plays work, and why they don't. Coming into this season, he had a blank canvas of what to draw on. Now he has a decent chunk of game film to study. And he will, he works hard and wants to improve all the time. I never got that same sense of urgency from Darnold. 

In terms of football IQ and hard work, I expect Wilson to make a far bigger leap in year 2 than Darnold, who tbf was also learning a new game-plan. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KRL said:

Draft

I want Douglas to do the following in the draft:

- Use the first #1 pick on the best available pass rusher
- Trade the second #1 pick to move lower in the first round and pick up another 2nd rounder
- Use the second #1 pick on either a LB or S
- Use the first #2 pick on a LB or S (whichever we didn't select in the previous pick)
- Use the second #2 pick on OLine
- Use the third #2 pick on the best available offensive playmaker (RB, WR, TE)

My 2 cents, have at it 

Other than picking the best available pass rusher with the first #1 pick,  I view the draft differently than you do.

The Jets need difference makers, and the Jets were very fortunate to get difference makers at #14 AVT and the 2nd round pick, Elijah Moore.

With the #10 pick, I want a stud, either on the offensive line, wide receiver, top safety in the draft (Hamilton if he is there), or top linebacker if he is there.  

Use your 2 - high 2nd round picks to try to get difference makers like Elizah Moore with a TE, Linebacker or position of need.

I think one of the pitfalls of adding picks to try to close up holes on the roster, is that you are left with players in the lower rounds who may not work out.  See Mims as an example.  If the Jets didn't trade down in the 2nd round, there were other higher rated receivers that might have worked out instead of the Mims disappointment that nobody else wanted.  

If the Jets could close up 4 holes with 2 elite players in the 1st round, and 2 quality starters in the 2nd round, I would be elated.  Just my opinion.

I'm not @KRL, but here are my two cents.

I think congratulating the defense for holding them to 13 points for 50 minutes is way overblown.  I mean did Trent Green even realize that it was windy?  The Bills had 4 drives with the wind before victory formation.  They had 3 TDs and a FG and on the FG they had a TD call overturned for the guy being barely out of bounds.

Do people still think Hall is a lock down corner?  He had a very nice season, but they did what people have been asking for - they put him on the #2 WR and rolled help to Echols.  Seemed like Gabriel Davis was running around open all day to me. 

People are going to stick up for him because weapnz and the Oline, but I thought that Wilson was fairly terrible.  His accuracy on the dump offs was pretty bad and he seems like he doesn't know when to make the throw, messing up the timing.  Seemed that way on the Kroft flip and drop in the flat. There were a couple that I'm sure his supporters will call drops that were on him IMO.  Yes the catches could have been made, but he makes the easy things hard and his Geno Smith like scrambling when he should just get rid of the ball is puzzling. 

I get that Jeff Smith sucks, but I don't see why he isn't used on the jet sweep?  He has done it with success, particularly this preseason.  I get not putting him on the field in place of Berrios, but when he's on the field anyway?

McDermott got the start at LT.  I figured that Edoga would be ahead of him on the depth chart and was hurt, but then Edoga came in after Moses knee got twisted.  Was Edoga sitting because he is dinged or is that the depth chart? 

Pineiro has been pretty good, but Mann has not.  I am a little concerned because I don't like Mann, but they may need to keep looking for punters that can kick off if Pineiro can't handle it.  HIs 40-49 was abysmal with the Bears, but they should be able to tell if he has enough leg in practice.  FWIW, I have been in the Mann is fine camp until recently.  Some of the others (I think @Beerfish ?) have been complaining about him all along.  He is coming off a pretty significant injury, but I don't want to hand him anything for 2022. 

3 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Moses is a trap, if you give him a contract, he will be injured and out for the season in training camp

Yeah that's very possible there's a lot of that going around the NFL these days. These guys know how to play the system. It must be nice to be filthy rich and still have good knees when you're 45 LOL.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not @KRL, but here are my two cents.

I think congratulating the defense for holding them to 13 points for 50 minutes is way overblown.  I mean did Trent Green even realize that it was windy?  The Bills had 4 drives with the wind before victory formation.  They had 3 TDs and a FG and on the FG they had a TD call overturned for the guy being barely out of bounds.

Do people still think Hall is a lock down corner?  He had a very nice season, but they did what people have been asking for - they put him on the #2 WR and rolled help to Echols.  Seemed like Gabriel Davis was running around open all day to me. 

People are going to stick up for him because weapnz and the Oline, but I thought that Wilson was fairly terrible.  His accuracy on the dump offs was pretty bad and he seems like he doesn't know when to make the throw, messing up the timing.  Seemed that way on the Kroft flip and drop in the flat. There were a couple that I'm sure his supporters will call drops that were on him IMO.  Yes the catches could have been made, but he makes the easy things hard and his Geno Smith like scrambling when he should just get rid of the ball is puzzling. 

I get that Jeff Smith sucks, but I don't see why he isn't used on the jet sweep?  He has done it with success, particularly this preseason.  I get not putting him on the field in place of Berrios, but when he's on the field anyway?

McDermott got the start at LT.  I figured that Edoga would be ahead of him on the depth chart and was hurt, but then Edoga came in after Moses knee got twisted.  Was Edoga sitting because he is dinged or is that the depth chart? 

Pineiro has been pretty good, but Mann has not.  I am a little concerned because I don't like Mann, but they may need to keep looking for punters that can kick off if Pineiro can't handle it.  HIs 40-49 was abysmal with the Bears, but they should be able to tell if he has enough leg in practice.  FWIW, I have been in the Mann is fine camp until recently.  Some of the others (I think @Beerfish ?) have been complaining about him all along.  He is coming off a pretty significant injury, but I don't want to hand him anything for 2022. 

I think we all agree that ZW's short passing was atrocious for large portions of the season. Even the ones he wasn't bouncing or air-mailing, he didn't even show good accuracy.  Thankfully he played with a lot more confidence in the Tampa game so at least that was a positive sign.  But he absolutely has a lot to prove next year.

As far as ST, I think Mann's strength is tackling and Ammendola's strength was punting.  I don't think Piniero should be given the job next year, btw.  And I think we should consider bringing back Morstead at least as competition for the punting job.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Pineiro has been pretty good, but Mann has not.  I am a little concerned because I don't like Mann, but they may need to keep looking for punters that can kick off if Pineiro can't handle it.  HIs 40-49 was abysmal with the Bears, but they should be able to tell if he has enough leg in practice.  FWIW, I have been in the Mann is fine camp until recently.

I am happy with both Pineiro and Mann.  Pineiro split the uprights on a 49 yard field goal yesterday in the wind, and Mann I thought was terrific in the wind yesterday with his punts.  

If you want to criticize both Pineiro and Mann, today is not a good day to do it.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

This will be short & sweet and then we can look forward to the off-season:

- An incredible effort by the defense to hold BUF to 13 points for the first 50 minutes
of the game, unfortunately they collapsed from too much time on the field.  BUF bullied
them in the first meeting (45 points) and they showed tremendous growth/fight in a 
"meaningless" game.

The Bills seemed like they had some secondary objectives for portions of that game. The Bills targeted their 5th receiving option 14 times for 3 receptions and he had several drops. Coincidentally, he was close to a performance bonus for number of receptions. It makes me a little leery that they seemed to be able to move the ball and score at the beginning and towards the end of the game, but in the middle they had this change in how their offense operates. They had a drive with no pass plays or designed runs for Allen in there. 

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

I am happy with both Pineiro and Mann.  Pineiro split the uprights on a 49 yard field goal yesterday in the wind, and Mann I thought was terrific in the wind yesterday with his punts.  

If you want to criticize both Pineiro and Mann, today is not a good day to do it.

Not in the wind.  With the wind.  

I don't have much against Pineiro right now, but I am concerend that he doesn't handle kickoffs.  

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Bills seemed like they had some secondary objectives for portions of that game. The Bills targeted their 5th receiving option 14 times for 3 receptions and he had several drops. Coincidentally, he was close to a performance bonus for number of receptions. It makes me a little leery that they seemed to be able to move the ball and score at the beginning and towards the end of the game, but in the middle they had this change in how their offense operates. They had a drive with no pass plays or designed runs for Allen in there. 

A little leery? 

Weather 36 degrees, relative humidity 67%, wind 19 mph

The Bills had the wind in the 1st and 4th.  The Jets in the 2nd and 34d.  Ther eis your "change in how their offense operates."   I think they also dialed up the pressure in the 2nd and 3rd to keep Wilson from getting comfortable and being able to sling it. 

Pathetically speaking they still need to draft offense w the first two picks. I’m still in denial about Becton. I mean it’s such an only the Jets story. HOF looking first pick who then completely combusts after his rookie year 

1a. OL

1b. WR

2a. OL

2b. TE

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Quincy Williams should be back next year as a backup linebacker. He shows flashes, big hits. But I suspect his film grades poorly often. They need an upgrade desperately. 

@Maxman I just watch the game and it's all about the eye test. Whoever pops off the screen.

I like guys who play with heart. I can see who's still playing hard when our backs are against the wall or when we're losing. Who plays with personal pride!?

IMHO.. Willie Colon, Wayne Chrebet, Victor Green, Nick Mangold, Jericho Cotchery, Braylon Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Braxton Berrios are the kind of guys I want on the New York Jets.

It's just a small sample but all of the above played the game like they were saving a baby from a burning building! Lol. They weren't worried about stats.

It's not always how big or fast or strong they are, it's about guts. Some of these young dudes still honor the game and they respect their opportunity to do what they love to do.

If I'm building a team and there's a dude who's still playing as hard in the third quarter as he did on the third play of the game, I want every guy on my team to be like that.

I'll take that every time-

Regards to you and the Fam Bro hope all is going well.

9 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Even if they sign A-Rob or Williams (unlikely), I'm still taking a swipe at a 1st round WR.  Maybe that's just me.  But the common thread in watching any half decent team (especially one with a developing or developed young QB) is a deep stable of talented WRs.

Joe Burrow would agree with this.   I also look at Derek Carr of the Raiders and Herbert of the Chargers and you can see just how much a strong group of receivers (and a running game) can positively impact a quarterback.   

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

My biggest take away from Zach's performance yesterday was that he needs to learn to escape the pocket without moving backwards 10 yds.

I wanted to blame the WRs yesterday for not being able to get open when the play breaks down - but that's hard for a WR to do when instead of scrambling left or right, the QB is scrambling 10 yds backwards first.

I'm confident Zach will study his game tape this offseason and make the mental changes necessary to fix this going forward.

Ill need to watch it again but it seemed like the pressure was always in his face and he had no where to move up, back was almost only option. I think if we weren't out there with the 8th string WR corps Zach might have been able to make some plays. People will only see "9 sacks" but he was just doing everything he could to make a play.

That said after about sack 3 I am sitting Zach if its my choice

• Upvote 1

The Buffalo punter problem is simple.  You cannot drop the ball the typical length  in those conditions before kicking it.

Wind causes the ball to move on the way down, even a 1/4 inch is enough for a shank.

The ball most be dropped from a much lower point, less time and distance to make contact.

Braden Mann’s technique was perfect. 

15 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

My biggest take away from Zach's performance yesterday was that he needs to learn to escape the pocket without moving backwards 10 yds.

I wanted to blame the WRs yesterday for not being able to get open when the play breaks down - but that's hard for a WR to do when instead of scrambling left or right, the QB is scrambling 10 yds backwards first.

The “moving backwards 10 yards and juking the pass rusher to keep the play alive” technique had worked for Zach previous weeks - when there was only one or maybe two guys closing in on him.  The reason it didn’t work yesterday was because, with Feeney and McDermott getting regularly schooled, there were usually 2 or 3 free rushers to escape from and making the first guy miss wasn’t good enough.

As you mentioned, hopefully this will be another area where Zach learns from his mistakes and improves next season (along with pass protection improvements). 

Another name that needs to be considered in free agency is Haason Reddick.
He's found his pass rushing skills the past two years (23.5 sacks) and he's
only 27.  From a frame perspective (6-1 235) he would fit at OLB, but I
wonder if Ulbrich/Saleh are willing to change the scheme to incorporate
Reddick.  Because right now our pressure centers around the DLine and we don't
bring many blitzes.  But a good staff adjusts their schemes to the personnel,
and adding a blitzing Reddick to Lawson, Williams, Franklin-Myers and a draft
pick is very enticing

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2980504/haason-reddick