LDT needs to see to his medical career before returning to the NFL (it seems)

LIJetsFan

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I think you're missing the point, which tried to explain without going too deep into the details.  The Canadian Medical Board has a rule in place that you must start your medical residency within 4 years of graduating, if he does not do that, by law his education will become void.  So, he won't have a medical career after he retires from football.

So, he's going to have to appeal for an extension of some kind, and hopefully the overseeing board is willing to acknowledge that playing in the NFL is an extenuating circumstance that is causing him to be in violation of the 4-year rule, which has nothing to do with his medical professional capabilities, and grant him the additional time, likely with some kind of CE requirements along the way.

Oh ok, I didn't see that part. That does make things different. 

48 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I want the Jets to upgrade over him anyway but this would kind of seal it for me. You only have a short shelf life in the NFL in the grand scheme of things. He can focus on his medical career after he retires. It doesn't seem like football is his top priority. 

At least he was honest about it.

Good on him, go focus on a career that he can do for 30 years that won't damage his body.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ZachEY said:

I think you're missing the point, which tried to explain without going too deep into the details.  The Canadian Medical Board has a rule in place that you must start your medical residency within 4 years of graduating, if he does not do that, by law his education will become void.  So, he won't have a medical career after he retires from football.

So, he's going to have to appeal for an extension of some kind, and hopefully the overseeing board is willing to acknowledge that playing in the NFL is an extenuating circumstance that is causing him to be in violation of the 4-year rule, which has nothing to do with his medical professional capabilities, and grant him the additional time, likely with some kind of CE requirements along the way.

This guy came in and really added value at the end of the season. I also appreciate and admire his contributions to the world as a doctor - so long as he can get the extension from their medical board, I'd sign him. 

Given his smarts, I have a feeling he is the type of guy who will know how to take care of himself and be a solid pro. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

They’d be better off targeting a guard in free agency. Save the premium picks for premium positions. 

oline is premium in my books, even guards.  Now that does not mean you are going to over draft guys but I would not avoid oline like I would some other positions.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It sounded like he was planning on coming back when he started off talking about how the team needs to get better at finishing games heading into next year. 

The doctor thing and free agency talk is obviously his way of starting negotiations on a new deal. I am not overly worried about his MD situation. 

If only he had a connection to someone who had a relationship to a company with influence in the medical establishment?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

This guy was a godsend when he came in for GVR... I wish him well in whatever he decides to do. Even if he stays, it doesn't change the fact that the JETS need to draft Linderbaum, Neal or Ekwonu. My pref is Linderbaum, because that would move McGovern to RG. Saves money and still gets us Edge/WR/TE in the first 2 rounds.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Maybe he can double as the team doctor ? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

This guy was a godsend when he came in for GVR... I wish him well in whatever he decides to do. Even if he stays, it doesn't change the fact that the JETS need to draft Linderbaum, Neal or Ekwonu. My pref is Linderbaum, because that would move McGovern to RG. Saves money and still gets us Edge/WR/TE in the first 2 rounds.

Honestly what his addition showed was that the line needed competence that GVR was not providing, not that it needed to draft a third starting OT let alone a center with top 5-10 picks.

The line was above average with Fant AVT McGovern LDT Moses. Neither a #4 pick OT nor a #10 pick C is "needed" in any sense of the word "need."

Instead of a $3-4MM backup swing tackle, I'd overkill-extend Moses at $8MM per year 100x out of 100 if it meant not expending a #4 overall pick on another tackle. Extending known quantity Moses means the team has two LT starters and 2-3 RT starters at a total trio cost of under $25MM. Look at it as buying the #4 pick in the country for $5MM/yr (while the team is flush with cap space, no less). 

The starting center wasn’t what was killing the team. Crappy QB play, inconsistent WRs, nonexistent TEs, a useless RG, and this sorry excuse for a defense were the problems. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I want the Jets to upgrade over him anyway but this would kind of seal it for me. You only have a short shelf life in the NFL in the grand scheme of things. He can focus on his medical career after he retires. It doesn't seem like football is his top priority. 

Do you have any idea what is entailed with maintaining an active Medical License and an ability to practice?  I do and it can be difficult, and IMO he was just saying that he has to ensure that that avenue is still available to him if the NFL is not available for him next year before he can talk about contracts etc.  He's already 30, only finished medical school in 2018 doing it in the off season with the blessing of the KC Chiefs, and I'm not sure he's even completed his residency/post-graduate medical training yet.  He's made like $50 mill in the NFL and won a SB with the KC Chiefs.  The simple fact he's still here, with the rebuilding 4-13 NYJ IMO tells you all you need to know about his 'priorities'.

The guy at this point has no idea about the NYJ's intentions with him going forward, so he states a simple truth about weighing his options and you're questioning his priorities?  Geesh...this place is rough. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, greenwave81 said:

Don't need to target a OG...draft Lindebaum and move McGovern to OG (which he is better at anyway).  Problem solved.

I’m not totally against this but Jets fans need to get over this obsession with finding the next Mawae/Mangold at center.

We’ve already devoted Top 15 picks to the OL in consecutive years and have a solid center in McGovern.

Our defense is straight up trash and the only worthwhile receivers under contract for next year are Moore and Davis (both of which finished the season on IR), and I’d put money on Davis being a cap casualty in 2023.

If Douglas, as a former OL and supposed scout extraordinaire can’t find a quality starting OL outside of the 1st round, then what is the f*cking use of this guy?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1