Postseason First Year Opinions/Evaluations of Zach Wilson, Jets QB

Warfish

Postseason First Year Opinions/Evaluations of Zach Wilson  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Zach Wilson's future after his first season?

• Good, in difficult circumstances he rose to the occasion, and I believe he is our future franchise QB.
    • Unsure, I don't know what he will become, and I can't tell or project based on what happened 2021.
    • Doubtful, his play in 2021 was worse than I expected, and I don't think he will be a franchise QB.
  2. 2. Did Zach Fall Short, Meet or Exceed your Expectations in 2021?

• Zach exceeded my expectations, he was better and more productive than I expected.
    • Zach met my expectations, he was exactly what I though he was.
    • Zach failed to meet my expectations, he was worse than I expected.
  3. 3. If on Draft Day, you were given Zachs final actual 2021 Stats, would you have been happy with that and still supported the pick?

• Yes, stats are irrelevant for a rookie QB. After all, Manning sucked his first year too. I would have supported the pick and I support it now too.
    • Uncertain, I don't know if stats matter or not, and don't know if I'd have cared if given his stats on draft day.
    • No, the #2 pick should have done better than that, and if I knew that on draft day I wouldn't have supported the pick.
  4. 4. Do the Jets need to add a QB (Veteran or otherwise) for 2022?

• No, Zach is the man. Backup can be White or whomever. Another QB isn't a priority.
    • Yes, but not a priority, we just need a better backup QB in case Zach gets hurt. White is a JAG and Flacco too old.
    • Yes, we need a QB to compete with or drive Zach to be his best, but I still expect Zach to be the starter, but a better backup would be good if he falters/gets hurt.
    • Yes, we need legit competition at QB, and may the best QB play. Zach didn't earn uncontested status in his rookie year.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And he sat for Garoppolo

Lance plays for a playoff team that the panel on ESPN this morning were called the team that could surprise by making the SB.

No one said anything, anywhere close to that about the Jets

Are you saying that Trey Lance is in a better position to be developed as a young QB because that’s exactly my point man

• Haha 2

He went from looking like a bust of humiliating proportions to..not that. The Rodgers and Mahomes comps were pretty unfair. As has been stated in the thread, I was pleasantly surprised by his physical and mental toughness. There's a ton of "ifs" involved but there is a world where I see him running a good offense next year. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Are you saying that Trey Lance is in a better position to be developed as a young QB because that’s exactly my point man

No, didnt say that at all.  Am saying his numbers should look better with the team he plays on.  Not the same thing, most top of the draft QBs play with bad teams.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Origen said:

Biggest concern I would have looking at that stat line and deciding if I should re-draft him again would be the completion percentage.  That's too low.  Now, having watched the season I know it included a sh*t-ton of drops, and also a lot of horrible passes to start the year, interceptions, ducks, worm burners, etc. But, in the last quarter of the season that changed and he showed accuracy and the ability to make simple passes again.  I'm more intrigued to see him with real NFL caliber WR's for a whole season, that's for sure.  So, what's done is done and on to next year...

The last third of the season 80% of his incompletions were drops and throw aways.  Hopefully with a healthy team and a tight end, next year he can actually attempt throws. 

• Upvote 4

• Doubtful. I would be surprised if he turned into a franchise QB.
  • He's fallen well short of my expectations.
  • Based on his performance I would not pick him at 2 if we could go back in time.
  • We need a legit backup. I went for the third option because I think Zach should be given the chance to start and I think an "open competition" probably just equals a media frenzy but we absolutely need a contingency plan if he bombs.

I'm surprised even on a Jets board most seem to be optimistic about him/happy with his performance. He's had one of the worst rookie QB seasons in recent NFL history. Like, 50%+ of the board says this was meeting their expectations? 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Hex said:

I was a pro-Zach guy and I still am. I was very worried in the first few games as he was being careless, trying to play like he did in college against easy opponents. After his injury, he had a sub-par game against the Texans and after than has played fairly well. Since his returning from his injury he has thrown 2 picks, has thrown the easy passes progressively better and better, and has looked like a much more experienced QB for most of the games.

His lack of TD production is alarming, but I feel like that is due to the losses of his top receivers. I also heard that Zach ties the league high in most passes stopped at the 1 yard line. but the fact that some QBs are throwing 40 TDs and Zach has thrown 9 doesn't look good on paper.

If the draft was done over again, I would definitely pick Zach again if I were GM. I have seen nothing from any QB other than Mac Jones to prove that there were better options, but I also think Jones is a good system QB, and that he wouldn't succeed as much as he has on a team like the Jets.

I didn't expect him to do great, and on paper he has done way worse than I would have thought. But on the field his progression is obvious, the players around him like him, and he has outplayed most of the other rookie QBs. He is clearly better than his 31st ranking.

I expect to see eyeball progression as well as stats progression next year. This year I was mostly fine with his lack of production due to his obvious progress and his lack of talent around him for much of the season. Next year he has no such excuse. Even with bad talent he should show that he can elevate the players around him. I am expecting more production from him. I expect him to be a top 15 QB on paper.

This is a fair assessment.  
If the team stays mostly healthy, they add a #1 WR and an NFL caliber TE.  Then top 15 is a reasonable expectation.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:
  • Doubtful. I would be surprised if he turned into a franchise QB.
  • He's fallen well short of my expectations.
  • Based on his performance I would not pick him at 2 if we could go back in time.
  • We need a legit backup. I went for the third option because I think Zach should be given the chance to start and I think an "open competition" probably just equals a media frenzy but we absolutely need a contingency plan if he bombs.

I'm surprised even on a Jets board most seem to be optimistic about him/happy with his performance. He's had one of the worst rookie QB seasons in recent NFL history. Like, 50%+ of the board says this was meeting their expectations? 

This is pretty much my view as well.

The more positive folks seem to be seeing a whole lot of something in Zach that I'm just not seeing.  

The big improvement is the lack of INT's down the stretch.  We'll see in 2022 if he can keep that going, which would be good.  

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, didnt say that at all.  Am saying his numbers should look better with the team he plays on.  Not the same thing, most top of the draft QBs play with bad teams.

Why should Lance’s numbers be better than Zach’s? Because of the better coaching and surrounding cast usually present on Super Bowl contenders? 

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Why should Lance’s numbers be better than Zach’s? Because of the better coaching and surrounding cast usually present on Super Bowl contenders? 

You’re right, playing on a SB caliber team shouldn’t lead to better numbers.  What was I thinking

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Have to disagree on this one. If he went back to BYU last season and was in this draft, he’s easily QB1. 

Pump and dump baby!  #teamtradeZach

J/k.  More than fair assessments on the thread.  

June 6, 1998 (age 23 years), Kenny Pickett 

August 3, 1999 (Age 22 years), Zach Wilson. 

After next season Zach will be as old as Picket is this year.  

Zach is young and getting better.  I expect next season will be better but still have some “young QB moments”.

I think new coaches and roster issues made it look less pretty but they got enough development in that the year was a success for ZW.  

Time will tell but I like where it’s going.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

June 6, 1998 (age 23 years), Kenny Picket 

August 3, 1999 (Age 22 years), Zach Wilson. 

After next season Zach will be as old as Picket is this year.  

Zach is young and getting better.  I expect next season will be better but still have some “young QB moments”.

Good to see the return of the "He's only 22, he's so very young, give him time" argument we heard in support of Sam for all three years he was here.

• Upvote 2

1. I feel he can be our FQB at this point, but I had my reservations at the beginning of the season.

2. I didnt want to draft him, I thought he would be an egg. So, I guess he went beyond what I thought would happen.

3. Uncertain. I didnt want him so......

4. Yes we need a competent backup QB to push ZW, preferably not Flacco.

The Titans game caused me to think the kid could be good as long as we do something to support him here. He didnt light the world on fire this season, but he didnt look like an egg either. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Good to see the return of the "He's only 22, he's so very young, give him time" argument we heard in support of Sam for all three years he was here.

bUt sAm DiD tHat.  That’s not new on JN either lol.  

Aaron Rodgers looked way worse than Sam for 2 seasons.   It doesn’t matter where they start it matters where they go.

If Sam had a better second season he would have been on a good trajectory.  I expect Zach to have a better second season.  

• Upvote 2

Yes, he's clearly not a superstar at this point but he's got a clearer picture in the NFL than any of the QB's that are going to be available this year.  I was not a Zach guy, I was down with keeping Sam and going Sewell last year and seeing what happened.  But, when the coaches fell in love with him, we had to follow along.  I was happy with the preseason reports like everyone.  Then utterly befuddled by the first half of the year, while also knowing that they had to have seen something, and all the video and puff they showed us did indeed show a person who had done things, so I hoped.  In the end, the kid showed a lot of toughness and never pouted, thank god.  He also got better over the year, from terrible to mediocre, which for most rookies is a win.  I am happy to see how he does moving forward, with optimism.  Part of the rebuild was to put a bunch of rookies and 1 year flyers and see what sticks with this staff.  Now we know what the focus will be for next year.  WR, TE, OL, EDGE, LB, S.  Fill that in with FA and draft hits and whammo, dynastyville.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

bUt sAm DiD tHat.  That’s not new on JN either lol.  

Aaron Rodgers looked way worse than Sam for 2 seasons.   It doesn’t matter where they start it matters where they go.

If Sam had a better second season he would have been on a good trajectory.  I expect Zach to have a better second season.  

Exactly.  You saw, post injury, a definite upward trajectory from Wilson in many aspects of the pro game that just were not there pre injury.

Darnold did the same thing in his rookie year and played 2 consecutive great games against Houston and Green Bay, which fooled me into thinking the “light had definitely gone on”, as did the Highest QB Rating in the NFL over his last 4 games.

Year 2 saw regression and in Year 4 it’s arguable that Darnold played his best ball at the end of his Rookie season.

I don’t think that will be the case with Wilson. He has way more physical attributes than Darnold and is much more intelligent.

If we didn’t see the definite progress made post injury, I’d have doubts, but that’s not the case.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Remember when they made that same post about Darnold because he was the same age as Burrow, who had not been drafted yet? Good times. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Let’s try it this way: If @Mogglez was a promising, young QB prospect that needed a lot of refinement, would you prefer he end up on the Jets or on the 49ers? 

Well lets see, other than the talent of their respective rosters?  Who knows, who have the SF contingent developed?  Ugh, no one

I dont have a magic ball, and I have no idea if hes going to progress or not.  What I saw was mostly bad, and the so called positives (lack of ints the last few games) were imo mostly statistical variance as he threw many interceptable passes during that stretch.  The only positive were that his last few games (minus the Bills game) were his best.

If he does turn out to be elite, it will be one of the biggest turn arounds i’ve ever seen in a qb.

My biggest worry is that he never gets the chance, b/c of his scrambling and his lack of awareness of where the rush is coming from.  That one day he will simply be blindsided or run into a huge human coming in at mach 3 and Mrs Wilson might not have grandchildren.  It could have happened many times this season, and it was honestly extremely lucky that he wasn’t carted off.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Because Lance  taller and  doesn’t bounce footballs off of  defenders helmets and shoulder pads? 

not to mention how many ball Zach gets batted down at the LOS. that is getting to be a problem.

and he is 6'2 the same size as Rodgers, Dak, Jimmy G..... Rush Wilson is 5-11. i dont see the same problem for them

That Buffalo game was such a crappy way to end the season. I think if he had a game like he played against Miami for example, where he was just ok, I'd be much more hyped about Zach going into next year. It just sucks that the season ended on such a sour note. 

I don't like using the lack of weapons excuse, because it's not a reason for the QB to be awful, but it does need to be pointed out that he was throwing to practice squad guys. There is a difference in not having your top weapons, but still having capable backups, and what was on the field on Sunday. Throwing the ball to Tarik Black, Jeff Smith, and Denzel Mims is rough. I didn't even realize that even Keelan Cole, who is a capable backup got hurt in the game. Crowder came back, and got hurt again. That compiled with the crappy weather conditions makes me want to throw that game out for him but you can't really do that. The games are what they are. 

Missing all those receivers, our two best O-Lineman this year, and playing in that weather against that defense was a recipe for disaster. 

It's really hard to make an accurate assessment of the kid playing behind an OL of Fed-Ex delivery men caliber blockers. The elephant in the room really has to be how can it be possible for a team to suffer so many injuries from the minute training camp started to the last game of a season? I've never seen a Jets team like this one. Usually there is a time when guys start getting better and coming off IR and then the team looks almost normal but not the 2021 Jets. It started from the minute that Carl Lawson got hurt 5 months after we signed him and it just continued to go downhill from there

• Upvote 1