This will be JD’s make or break off season.

I don’t think it’s a mixed bag. Wish it was. 4th worst team in the NFL this year. Not a single pro-bowl caliber player on the roster, except Berrios at KR (and Gase was responsible for that signing). Douglas has been a horrible GM. 

He is not going anywhere though so I guess all we can do is hope that he improves. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The Fant, Moses and LDT acquisitions were great. 

But two of them are free agents, and the other likely earned a serious multi-year deal filling in for Becton. 

Most interested to see how JD navigates this situation.

I think he'll re-sign LDT and let Moses go (OT are more expensive).  So our top 5 OLinemen should be:

Becton, AVT, McGovern, LDT and Fant

Then add another OLineman in the 2nd/3rd round

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, KRL said:

I think he'll re-sign LDT and let Moses go (OT are more expensive).  So our top 5 OLinemen should be:

Agreed.   Thus far JD has loved the one year deals, and that’s fine, but we’re at the point where we need to have some continuity in these position groups.   There needs to be a core of guys who can work and grow together.  Look at the WR group, we can’t keep having an entire new group every year.   

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

My thoughts exactly. That's why I was so bummed yesterday when the ND C Patterson said he was staying another year. Would have loved him with one of our two 2nds. 

JD has to be like a kid in a candy store this offseason. A ton of draft picks and gobs of cash to spend in FA. Plus, a bunch of talented rookies who will be much better next year and a coaching staff that has a full offseason to work together. Get 'er done JD!

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.   Thus far JD has loved the one year deals, and that’s fine, but we’re at the point where we need to have some continuity in these position groups.   There needs to be a core of guys who can work and grow together.  Look at the WR group, we can’t keep having an entire new group every year.   

Yup...and the one year deal guys usually aren't very good.  He's going to have to pony up and potentially get stuck with some bad contracts - take more risks.

It was okay the past couple of years - as he was just tearing down the mess Mac left him with - but that was the easy part.  Having the patience to see it through was the hardest thing about it...

But now is the hard part - the build.  Building the roster with a mix of vets and young guys is the key to sustainable success.  We're going to find out a lot about JD this off-season for sure.

• Upvote 4

Don’t know if it’ll quite be make or break, but I expect some urgency this offseason. They need to be hovering in the .500 range next year, with some very clear improvement from Zach. 

I’m hoping that the main difference between the 2020 and ‘21 drafts was the coaching staff he was working with. Just seems like JD and Saleh were on the same page, and brought in players that they could work with and develop. If that continues for a second straight year, they should have no problem being much more competitive. 

• Upvote 4

I agree.
I don't think they need to get to the playoffs next year - but the team needs to be competitive.  This can't be a laughing stock again.  
I think you'll see him spend a lot this off-season.  He won't spend foolishly but I don't think we'll be going into next off-season as one of the teams with the most cap space...
It's time to start winning games.
I think the playoff narrative has to change... this is just an unheard-of length of time with no playoff appearance... not to compare but Parcells took a 1-15 team to the verge of the playoffs in one season...other teams turn things around...I don't see the afc as that difficult as we actually beat the top seed and the 3rd or 4th seed this year

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The Fant, Moses and LDT acquisitions were great. 

But two of them are free agents, and the other likely earned a serious multi-year deal filling in for Becton. 

Most interested to see how JD navigates this situation.

I would bring back Fant and LDT. Moses kept limping off in two or three games towards the end of the season. He did play well, but I am pretty sure next year he will be injured a lot.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, frankiepapa said:

I think the playoff narrative has to change... this is just an unheard-of length of time with no playoff appearance... not to compare but Parcells took a 1-15 team to the verge of the playoffs in one season...other teams turn things around...I don't see the afc as that difficult as we actually beat the top seed and the 3rd or 4th seed this year

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think we would all like it to change - but the reality is the team is probably not ready to make a legitimate playoff run.

7-9 wins and not being a laughing stock would be a major improvement for this team.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

• Who knows with Becton? Do we believe Pauline and the rumors?
  • LDT needs some sort of special dispensation from a medical board to play in the NFL next year to avoid wasting his med school degree?
  • Moses, because of his position, could easily get expensive.

The straightforward answer is to bring them all back and punt the Becton/Fant/Moses decision until training camp and make it an open competition for the two tackle spots. But there are other options -

• Ekwonu plays the wide zone @ NC State and a likely top 10 pick
  • Kenyon Green from A&M could play RG or RT, a likely top 20 pick
  • Scherff is a free agent
  • Ben Jones C Titans, another free agent, fits the scheme and allow you to move McGovern to RG
  • Sleeper type free agent - Joseph Noteboom RT Rams. Played well in relief this year, tremendously athletic

It could very well be as straightforward as you say. But there are quite a bit of moving pieces here and Becton's disappointing year looming over everything might not make this simple.

Look, it's not rocket science to say this is a critical off season.  The product on the field stinks.  Has to get better.  JD knows that.

JD's first draft was bad.  Team would be well ahead of where it is now if he had been "average" in that draft.  No repeats.  If 2020 was bad, 2021 was excellent.  He has shown he can do it, but he and we need a repeat of the quality of the 2021 draft.

JD has positioned the cap beautifully for where the Jets are now.  He has the money to spend.  Agree that the 1 year contracts have so far been marginal.  He will have to pick his spots, but bring in a few longer term vets.

Splashy spending can feel good but set up problems down the road.  JD will have to look at the salary structure today, but also position himself to resign a lot of players over the next 2-3 years.  We, as fans, sometimes forget this.

I have high expectations and high hopes for JD.  But clearly, we will see.  I don't think JD is Idzik, but that is the risk.

• Upvote 2

It may be a make or break year for JD for many fans, but I don't think it is for ownership. They've bought in to the rebuild through the draft. I think they view this coming season as just another brick in the wall and are simply looking for overall team progress in 2022.

Also, if Becton has a healthy complete season next year, the 2020 draft will have netted 3 starters (Hall, Becton and Mann) and a depth Safety/Special teamer (Davis). Not a great draft, but certainly not terrible. It would arguably be the best draft of the 10 that preceded it. And 2020 plus 2021 are the best two successive Jets drafts in combination since the late 1970s.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don’t think it’s a mixed bag. Wish it was. 4th worst team in the NFL this year. Not a single pro-bowl caliber player on the roster, except Berrios at KR (and Gase was responsible for that signing). Douglas has been a horrible GM. 

He is not going anywhere though so I guess all we can do is hope that he improves. 

terrible gm? moore , carter , carter ll , avt, wilson, hall plus more role players - yeah 2020 draft sucked ( except for hall) but it takes time to rebuild a team with no talent anywhere - this “gm sucks” stuff is short sighted at best and i’ll leave it at that

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

terrible gm? moore , carter , carter ll , avt, wilson, hall plus more role players - yeah 2020 draft sucked ( except for hall) but it takes time to rebuild a team with no talent anywhere - this “gm sucks” stuff is short sighted at best and i’ll leave it at that

I'm not seeing why people keep posting MC2. He hasnt been good. 

According to PFF he has allowed 60 receptions on 79 attempts. Just watching games he regularly gets burned, doesnt turn around, misses tackles, gets easily thrown off etc.

JD is essentially half way through his contract and the team sucks-you can make whatever excuses you want from him but the roster is bad and the coaching this past year was bad(some actually give Joe a pass for  the bad coaching which I believe is why he made the change-it bought him another "year 1" but the reality is the team won 7 games with Gase before Joe broke up that team.

Joe's first draft was one of the worst in Jets history which is no easy task-that is a fact most are not even on the team so we dont have to wait the 3 years+ to know the results

My personal opinion is his second draft was an improvement (moore was a big hit) but folks are over valuing it as well. Joe went all in on Wilson and I think it was a mistake ( I hope and pray I am wrong). 

Joe is not getting fired I know that-he will be given probably two more years as well-but in my opinion anything less than 6 wins next year in this longer season would be a failure and the team actually as to start to beat teams in the division. If the team gets a bit better while others in the division do as well the net is last place again

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

team won 6 wins in two years-his roster sucks and folks constantly over value the skill  of our players.

Moore is a legit-everybody else the book is still open  or in the case of 2020 closed

At some point the guy that buys the groceries and hired the cook has to be held accountable to the meal that is making everybody sick.

This is a make or break year for Joe-I hope he does WONDERFUL but I believe he is no better than Mac or Izadick as shown by his record-if he gets the team to win games than I will crown him until then he is a 6 win gm for two seasons and bottom of the AFC east

• Upvote 2

I kind of agree. He has lots of cap space he made a big decision on a Qb and HC and things have to start looking up and improving. It’s all about team record and since taking over the record of team has been in the weeds. This season in many games the team wasn’t competitive. If we’re no better in 2022 a lot of it’s on him. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

Seems that you’re relying on feelings. All 32 fan bases are posting the same things you’ve done with your post - listing players that have potential that they’re excited about, that show that the team is “improving”. Nothing wrong with that, there’s multiple players I’m excited about as well.

But once you set aside feelings, the facts are rather unpleasant. Joe Douglas hasn’t signed, traded for or drafted a single position player that is Pro Bowl caliber. 32 months on the job. There’s no data, no statistics, no facts that indicate that he is a competent General Manager. I hope he kills it this offseason and shows that he has become one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1