Jump to content

Every Throw from Zach Wilson Week 18 vs Bills


Spoot-Face
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This point would speak to me if we hadn't seen this exact same kind of post made about 3 other homegrown Jets QB's since 2009.  

People are hitting every excuse on @jgb's QB excuse mat for Wilson that they did for prior QB's:

  • "[Insert great QB] couldn't succeed with these receivers"
  • "He was running for his life out there"
  • "The OC didn't do enough to give him simple throws out there"
  • "No one was open all day"
  • "This is his just his Xth start"
  • "You guys wanting him to be slinging it for 400 yards out there are being ridiculous"
  • "He can't catch the ball himself"
  • "He had no running game"

I'm sick of it.  For once, I'd like to have a young QB that we can be confident is "the guy" heading into year 2 of his career.  Instead we get to spend this whole offseason debating over it.  

Please name the QB drafted this year that fits that criteria? If you say Mac Jones I will punch you  in your nads. 

Zach has had an awful year but he has been less awful as of late. That’s pretty much best anyone has gotten with this class of QB’s. 
 

He has cut down the pics and looked like he had half a clue against Tampa. Buffalo game was ugly. 


 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Please name the QB drafted this year that fits that criteria? If you say Mac Jones I will punch you  in your nads. 

Zach has had an awful year but he has been less awful as of late. That’s pretty much best anyone has gotten with this class of QB’s. 

He has cut down the pics and looked like he had half a clue against Tampa. Buffalo game was ugly. 

You actually raise an interesting question:  Are Pats Fans "confident" that Jones "is "the guy" heading into year 2 of his career"?

I'm not going anywhere near a Pats Board, but it would be interesting to get a feel for the answer to that question. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This would be such a terrible decision on so many levels.

If they just want the QB2 to be in house, it ought to just be Mike White.  Otherwise they need to be looking to upgrade with an acquired QB.  

Flacco is a complete waste of a roster spot.

I actually think the QB2 should be Mike White, unless you are getting someone potentially overqualified for the role like Minshew. 

Mike White is young and showed some promise in limited time and the locker room seems to like him.

Having said that, you have to wonder why he wasn't the backup at the end of the year. No one is interested in seeing Flacco play. Mike White could conceivably be the guy here if Wilson flames out or suffers a devastating injury. No more Flacco. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You actually raise an interesting question:  Are Pats Fans "confident" that Jones "is "the guy" heading into year 2 of his career"?

I'm not going anywhere near a Pats Board, but it would be interesting to get a feel for the answer to that question. 

From what I have seen they are, but no more confident than people were about Sanchez when the team was having success with him in 09/10. When the team is winning, it's all good in the hood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Please name the QB drafted this year that fits that criteria? If you say Mac Jones I will punch you  in your nads. 

Zach has had an awful year but he has been less awful as of late. That’s pretty much best anyone has gotten with this class of QB’s. 
 

He has cut down the pics and looked like he had half a clue against Tampa. Buffalo game was ugly. 

Davis Mills has a shot.  16 TDs to 10 INTs and 6.8 YPA in 13 games (11 starts).  I'd certainly be very happy with that performance as a Texans fan.  Houston was pretty much actively tanking entering the season.

The other top QB's in this class being nearly as bad as Wilson does not make me feel any better about Wilson.  We've seen entire QB classes flame out before and it could easily happen again with this one. 

The point is that rarely are there QB's who you don't feel confident about heading into year 2 who end up being success stories.  Which isn't surprising, given how few QB's on the planet there are who end up playing at a high level in the pros.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

From what I have seen they are, but no more confident than people were about Sanchez when the team was having success with him in 09/10. When the team is winning, it's all good in the hood. 

Even when the team was having success in 09-10, any reasonable fan admitted that Sanchez was not good and needed to be better.  He needed to take the next step in 2011 and he didn't.  He was hidden by a tremendous roster in 2009-10 outside of a few nice games.  He wasn't "good" really at any time those years. 

Which is why I'm always curious why so many people here STILL believe weppinz can "save" a bad QB.  They can't.  Bad QB's would still be bad even if they had prime Jerry Rice and Megatron at WR.  It's like we've learned nothing from past QB's here.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Even when the team was having success in 09-10, any reasonable fan admitted that Sanchez was not good and needed to be better.  He needed to take the next step in 2011 and he didn't.  

True. 

But a lot of people hung onto that "4-2 in the playoffs" deal for as long as they possibly could. Sanchez also played on a stacked team with the number 1 running game and defense in 2009. No team ran the ball more than the Jets did between 2009-2010. So, I would argue the Sanchez's rookie season was particularly bad from this perspective. The guy threw 20 picks for a team that was trying not to throw the ball more than it had to.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

True. 

But a lot of people hung onto that "4-2 in the playoffs" deal for as long as they possibly could. Sanchez also played on a stacked team with the number 1 running game and defense in 2009. No team ran the ball more than the Jets did between 2009-2010. So, I would argue the Sanchez's rookie season was particularly bad from this perspective. The guy threw 20 picks for a team that was trying not to throw the ball more than it had to.  

Indeed.  I appreciate that Sanchez stepped his game up in he playoffs.  But that's not saying much.  When your teams runs for 300+ yards in a game but you still manage to lose because your QB throws 5 picks, the bar is very low.

I don't view Mark Sanchez as being much better than Darnold or Geno Smith, yet you still have some here calling Sanchez one of the top 3 or 5 QB's in Jets' history because of those 4 playoff wins he was mostly dragged to.  It's madness.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Indeed.  I appreciate that Sanchez stepped his game up in he playoffs.  But that's not saying much.  When your teams runs for 300+ yards in a game but you still manage to lose because your QB throws 5 picks, the bar is very low.

I don't view Mark Sanchez as being much better than Darnold or Geno Smith, yet you still have some here calling Sanchez one of the top 3 or 5 QB's in Jets' history because of those 4 playoff wins.  It's madness.

Yep. Wins are a team stat. This isn't singles tennis. 

Sanchez had some great playoff moments for sure, but people go too far with it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

You actually raise an interesting question:  Are Pats Fans "confident" that Jones "is "the guy" heading into year 2 of his career"?

I'm not going anywhere near a Pats Board, but it would be interesting to get a feel for the answer to that question. 

It probably depends on the week. But with Belichick still there and them holding onto it was Bill and not Tom I’d say it’s likely they are. I think he will likely be a poor man’s Alex Smith. With running game and  that D, will stack up wins. He certainly went into best situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Davis Mills has a shot.  16 TDs to 10 INTs and 6.8 YPA in 13 games (11 starts).  I'd certainly be very happy with that performance as a Texans fan.  Houston was pretty much actively tanking entering the season.

The other top QB's in this class being nearly as bad as Wilson does not make me feel any better about Wilson.  We've seen entire QB classes flame out before and it could easily happen again with this one. 

The point is that rarely are there QB's who you don't feel confident about heading into year 2 who end up being success stories.  Which isn't surprising, given how few QB's on the planet there are who end up playing at a high level in the pros.

Fair answer. But I wasn’t using the fact they kind of all sucked to make Wilson seem better, simply pointing out that a crappy rookie year is closer to the norm. That’s all. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Fair answer. But I wasn’t using the fact they kind of all sucked to make Wilson seem better, simply pointing out that a crappy rookie year is closer to the norm. That’s all. 

QB's not making it is also the norm.  Only a dozen, and maybe a few more, can play the position at a high level at any given time.  So when a QB looks bad as a rookie, I'll assume he's not going to make it.  Seems fair, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

QB's not making it is also the norm.  Only a dozen, and maybe a few more, can play the position at a high level at any given time.  So when a QB looks bad as a rookie, I'll assume he's not going to make it.  Seems fair, no?

I’m sure you hope he does  just like I do. All we really can do. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

So I keep hearing.

If you all want to think Zach did pretty much everything as well as it could be done given the circumstances, that's certainly your right.

I'm just saying a lot of starting QBs in this league. Guys who have been around the block, would have looked like s**t against the type of pass rush and lack of open receivers the Jets had against Buffalo. Thats not to say that the top 10-15 or so QBs couldn't STILL put up a  good game. But I just think Zach was not the biggest problem in the Bills game. And for a rookie (yes I will keep saying for a rookie until he's not a rookie)- he actually did alright and held his own- not turning the ball over, taking sacks instead of forcing the ball down field where it can get picked off (even if throwing it away would have been a better option), and showing composure. 

JMHO... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm just saying a lot of starting QBs in this league. Guys who have been around the block, would have looked like s**t against the type of pass rush and lack of open receivers the Jets had against Buffalo. Thats not to say that the top 10-15 or so QBs couldn't STILL put up a  good game. But I just think Zach was not the biggest problem in the Bills game. And for a rookie (yes I will keep saying for a rookie until he's not a rookie)- he actually did alright and held his own- not turning the ball over, taking sacks instead of forcing the ball down field where it can get picked off (even if throwing it away would have been a better option), and showing composure. 

JMHO... 

I am not sure there is another NFL starting QB who would have done all that scramble-backwards-spin-scramble back-spin-spin some more-scramble back then get sacked or throw it away as much as, or the same way, that Zach did vs. the Bills.  I've never seen a QB do that before so much in all my years of watching the NFL.

In terms of how he did, he was the worst producing starting QB in the NFL.  We have an entire thread with reasons (I won't call them excuses) why that final ranking, and the stats behind it, don't matter.  And that even if they did matter, it's not on Zach at all, it's all on his supporting cast.

Yes, he made huge strides in lowering his INT's.  And that is good and important.  He just didn't produce very much while doing so. 

We'll see how he does in 2022. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...