Maynard - RIP

1 hour ago, Jets1958 said:

"I don't really look at it like I'm the greatest receiver, Maynard said on his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. "After you play awhile anybody can break certain records. Longevity is the key. The record I'm proudest of is being the first guy to get 10,000 yards in receptions. Others may do it but I'm the first and only one guy can be the first." 

- Don Maynard 

and he did it when the receivers could get mugged by the defensive backs.  like he said, it's great he was the first.  who's to know how well he would have fared in today's nfl.  rice blew away that 10,000 yard mark but maynard was first and had that record for quite some time.

• Upvote 4

When I was really young I lucky enough to get a Jet's uniform from my parents for my birthday. It came with a helmet, pants and jersey. The helmet was just a cheap replica - it all came in a box. I think it was a Rawlings uni, but I could be wrong. I would throw it on and make believe I was Joe Namath throwing to my brother, who was Don Maynard and vice versa when he was the QB. I wasn't really even old enough to understand the game and how great he was - but we somehow new it. There was nothing like a bomb from Namath to Maynard and there has never been a combo on the Jets as good as they were. Hopefully Zach and Elijah can be as good as they were - that would mean they would both end up in the Hall of Fame.

Namath to Maynard, what made me a Jets fan.  He was a tough SOB who never backed down.  One of the few players when you say he was an all time great no one disputes it.  Played one year with the dumb assed Giants and they cut him.  Thank you GMen

RIP #13, Jets fans will always remember you for what you meant to the team and city

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Terrible news.  I loved Maynard when I was a kid, he was my favorite Jet; everyone else had Namath, but Maynard was my guy.  First  NFL jersey I ever bought was a Maynard 13 for my son.  Incredibly underrated for an all time great.

Rest in peace.

Maynard and Namath were like Batman and Robin.  He lifted the AFL becoming a lethal weapon.  Slipped through the cracks as he was the 109th pick by the Giants in 1957, my birth year. Then released by the Giants to n 1959. Thanks GMen. Rest is history. RIP to one of the most unique WR’s ever. He was like a gazelle. I’ll be wearing my #13 Maynard jersey to honor the HOF great. ?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Maynard was a great story teller too. I remember he was re-living his salary negotiations with Weeb Ewbank. He said Weeb wrote a number on a piece of paper, turned it over,  and slid it across the desk to Maynard saying something like "Now you can't go sharing that figure with everyone, it's just between you an me". Maynard turned the paper over, read the number and responded something like "Jeeezzzz Weeb don't worry about it,  I'd be just as ashamed as you to share that number with anyone else."
RIP Don Maynard, the original Urban Cowboy.
Agree it was great to listen to him speak of his time as a player. Whenever I see the current Jet receivers dropping pass after pass, I think of an interview where he claimed that between he and George Sauer, they went an entire season without a drop. There may be a bit of hyperbole there, but watching those two as a kid, I don't think he was far off.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, cat999 said:

Agree it was great to listen to him speak of his time as a player. Whenever I see the current Jet receivers dropping pass after pass, I think of an interview where he claimed that between he and George Sauer, they went an entire season without a drop. There may be a bit of hyperbole there, but watching those two as a kid, I don't think he was far off.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

IIRC, he said that he never dropped a pass in his entire career.

RIP Don Maynard

Cut by the Giants, went across town to the Titans, who were a joke.  Retired with all the records-since broken of course, but the game has changed. One of the building blocks of the new American Football League and an important piece of New York sports history.  RIP Don.  

• Upvote 2