How much does a GM look at future draft classes when determining their picks?

I'm almost certain I read that the Jets passed on a QB the year Mahomes was taken (and we drafted Jamal) because we liked the following year's draft class at QB.   I wonder if the same thing applies to positions other than QB.  Like are we going to use #10 OA on a WR this year?  Back in 2020, there were star WRs picked in the 2nd round.  I have no idea what the perceived strength of the next draft class is but, again, I'm wondering if JD will take that into account when deciding on his picks this year.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm almost certain I read that the Jets passed on a QB the year Mahomes was taken (and we drafted Jamal) because we liked the following year's draft class at QB.   I wonder if the same thing applies to positions other than QB.  Like are we going to use #10 OA on a WR this year?  Back in 2020, there were star WRs picked in the 2nd round.  I have no idea what the perceived strength of the next draft class is but, again, I'm wondering if JD will take that into account when deciding on his picks this year.

With current technology I would assume it's possible but pretty difficult to be precise. I mean how incorrect are mock drafts prior to the college football season? 

Yeah but we had one of the worst GM's in our franchises history when we may or may not have passed on QBs in 2017 because we liked the 2018 draft class better so you have to take that into account. 

The idea of looking at a future draft class when determining your current picks is totally something I could see Maccagnan do. I can't see Joe Douglas doing something dumb like that. 

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It shouldnt apply to any GM's draft strategy, no matter the position.  You have no idea who's going to be available and where you'll be picking in the following season.  If you like a player and think he can make your team better, you take them, damn was supposed to be available next year.