Joe D and Robert Saleh season ending press conference 1/10

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I believe Saleh and Douglas have been hinting at expectations for 2023 & 2024 since they Saleh.

Whether folks like it or not…this year was Ground Zero and next year is another potential babystep.

If this year was ground zero then what the hell was last year? 

58 minutes ago, heymangold said:

From 2 wins, to 4 - I think a realistic goal would be 7 next year.  I just wanna see the jets on the “in the hunt” section late in the season next year.

Considering 24 teams were still in the hunt in December.. that's a low bar. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This press conference confirms my beliefs.  Next year is another building year.  We will again have the youngest team in the league with the most rookies  playing of any nfl team.

Listen to your gm and set your expectations accordingly.  This is all geared towards 2023.  Not 2022.

There are many of us who might not make it to 2023. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

If this year was ground zero then what the hell was last year? 

Considering 24 teams were still in the hunt in December.. that's a low bar. 

I’m not saying I’m on board with this….just that’s what they’ve been saying / acting like since they hired Saleh.

I think if you draft well and sign good free agents to 3 year deals that will expire by the time your draftees are entering prime + contract time then you can do a competitive rebuild (the right way).

Obviously Douglas sold them on something else and its an easy sell when you turn the Jets GM job and they come back and ask what will it take and you say 6 years…

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The main thing this press conference told you is that Joe D expects us to be better then 4 wins.  Not a playoff team, not a “in the hunt” team.

Year 2 in the system, patiently building through the draft, this team wins 6-8 games next year.

So Joe D is accomplishing what the short term goals are.

I think there is a huge difference between winning 6 games next year and winning 8 games.

6 wins will get you a top 8 draft pick in this years draft, and 8 wins gets you in the middle of the pack.

I would take 8 wins right now for next season, because that would mean that the Jets are competitive and most assuredly winning games within their division.

6 wins with all the draft capital and having the 4th most money to spend in free agency  would be another failure in my eyes.

• Upvote 4

I think you need to have realistic expectations about a team you build - especially in a full reset. You want them to build it correctly for the long run. I would expect that the expectation is for a big jump in wins - maybe double or better like they did this year 8 or 9 wins will likely do. The following year the expectation should be playoffs.

Now it doesn't mean they meet the expectations, but depending on how close they come, how good the team looks, and what kind of bad luck they had determines year 4 - IMO.

Just now, bostonmajet said:

I think you need to have realistic expectations about a team you build - especially in a full reset. You want them to build it correctly for the long run. I would expect that the expectation is for a big jump in wins - maybe double or better like they did this year 8 or 9 wins will likely do. The following year the expectation should be playoffs.

Now it doesn't mean they meet the expectations, but depending on how close they come, how good the team looks, and what kind of bad luck they had determines year 4 - IMO.

Playtime is over. They have picks and money. Two draft classes under their belts. Time to win some games. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I think playoff mandates in January are fairly stupid, but Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh should drop to their knees and thank the lord above for Joe Judge because they would both be on the griddle as we speak otherwise. Both of them are operating with an alarming lack of urgency, and if they feel like they can just flip a switch and 53 motivated Jets players are going to magically appear before them in 2023 or whenever, they’re going to be quite surprised. On the plus side, maybe Saleh will have the flooring installed in his fixer-upper in two years after all the lawsuits are resolved. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Playtime is over. They have picks and money. Two draft classes under their belts. Time to win some games. 

This is what you want.  And that is great.  But that is not what is happening here.  Listen to what your gm and coach are telling you.  6-8 wins and a better team in 2022.

One of the best teams in the nfl in 2023.

Thats the timeline.  If you are mad and upset with the jets, that is your own fault for not listening to what you are being told.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. But I have been building systems for 30+ years and I can tell you it takes longer to build a product by trying to shortcut than you do by doing it right up front. It is normally the pushing for faster sales that normally does a small company in. We have tried to patch and win for a while; FA and trades to build a team; this was a 3 year plan when Saleh was hired and JD was given the chance to reset - that has happened, trying to force a team to the playoffs in year 2 would be a mistake.

Now, if JD has another good draft and has a good FA and Saleh and staff come along, our injured players return, and Zack progresses - yeah, we could go to playoffs next year - I would be happy about that, but I doubt JD and Saleh will have those expectations thrust upon them by Woody.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The hahahahahah part is for calling people who have been through 50 years of mostly trash football and stuck with the team 'impatient'.

Anyone that uses that term to describe jets fans should be fired into the sun with sling shot for sheer out and out stupidity.

What has happened before Saleh and Douglas united is irrelevant to what their plans are.  They might not be irrelevant to you, but for Douglas and Saleh, they could care less.

So impatient Jet fans can have their playoff mandates, fire everyone threads and be miserable when we dont spend big in free agency.

I on the other hand am listening to what my gm and coach are telling me and understand how the are going to do this.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Sure. But I have been building systems for 30+ years and I can tell you it takes longer to build a product by trying to shortcut than you do by doing it right up front. It is normally the pushing for faster sales that normally does a small company in. We have tried to patch and win for a while; FA and trades to build a team; this was a 3 year plan when Saleh was hired and JD was given the chance to reset - that has happened, trying to force a team to the playoffs in year 2 would be a mistake.

Now, if JD has another good draft and has a good FA and Saleh and staff come along, our injured players return, and Zack progresses - yeah, we could go to playoffs next year - I would be happy about that, but I doubt JD and Saleh will have those expectations thrust upon them by Woody.

Douglas is already trying to correct things that he did upfront. You dont get do-overs from initial ****ups. The timeline remains the same. Hopefully he's sured up how to interview prospects and can figure out if they're motivated football players or guys who'd rather spend time towel whipping each other in the trainers room. Excuse time is over. 0-6 in the division is over. Seasons being over in October is over. It's time to win.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think playoff mandates in January are fairly stupid, but Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh should drop to their knees and thank the lord above for Joe Judge because they would both be on the griddle as we speak otherwise. Both of them are operating with an alarming lack of urgency, and if they feel like they can just flip a switch and 53 motivated Jets players are going to magically appear before them in 2023 or whenever, they’re going to be quite surprised. On the plus side, maybe Saleh will have the flooring installed in his fixer-upper in two years after all the lawsuits are resolved. 

When Carmela wants a spec house, she gets a spec house.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What has happened before Saleh and Douglas united is irrelevant to what their plans are.  They might not be irrelevant to you, but for Douglas and Saleh, they could care less.

So impatient Jet fans can have their playoff mandates, fire everyone threads and be miserable when we dont spend big in free agency.

I on the other hand am listening to what my gm and coach are telling me and understand how the are going to do this.

Not being argumentative, but I have been with this team 62 seasons and and I expect to finally have my patience rewarded. How many more rebuilds do we have to go through.

there needs to be more urgency from this front office. They have all sorts of capital to work with, so spend some of woody’s money and get some top notch free agents in here along with the draft picks

franchise season records 1 and 61

time for a little less patience 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rangers1 said:

Not being argumentative, but I have been with this team 62 seasons and and I expect to finally have my patience rewarded. How many more rebuilds do we have to go through.

there needs to be more urgency from this front office. They have all sorts of capital to work with, so spend some of woody’s money and get some top notch free agents in here along with the draft picks

franchise season records 1 and 61

time for a little less patience 

When was the last time we rebuilt?  The answer is never.

Being crappy, taking qbs high in the draft is not a rebuild.

Jet fans keep making this mistake by thinking that because we have sucked for so long, we must be rebuilding for that long too.  We havent.

This is the 1st time in franchise history we are doing a real rebuild.  Saleh even said in a press conference that Jet fans dont understand whats going on because they have never seen a rebuild.  And he is 100% right.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

When was the last time we rebuilt?  The answer is never.

Being crappy, taking qbs high in the draft is not a rebuild.

Jet fans keep making this mistake by thinking that because we have sucked for so long, we must be rebuilding for that long too.  We havent.

This is the 1st time in franchise history we are doing a real rebuild.  Saleh even said in a press conference that Jet fans dont understand whats going on because they have never seen a rebuild.  And he is 100% right.

Franchise history?  What did the peng-a-win do in 2006?  What did Walt do?  Idzik and Maccagnan combined for a rebuild.  Lack of success does not indicate lack of a rebuild.  Plenty of people erect crappy buildings.

66086632.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I believe Saleh and Douglas have been hinting at expectations for 2023 & 2024 since they Saleh.

Whether folks like it or not…this year was Ground Zero and next year is another potential babystep.

Is "Saleh" a verb now?  You know like "the Jets really Saleh'd this up*

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The main thing this press conference told you is that Joe D expects us to be better then 4 wins.  Not a playoff team, not a “in the hunt” team.

Year 2 in the system, patiently building through the draft, this team wins 6-8 games next year.

So Joe D is accomplishing what the short term goals are.

We’re so lucky to have Joe D. I’ll definitely be at the game he’s inducted into the Ring of Honor down the road!

36 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas is already trying to correct things that he did upfront. You dont get do-overs from initial ****ups. The timeline remains the same. Hopefully he's sured up how to interview prospects and can figure out if they're motivated football players or guys who'd rather spend time towel whipping each other in the trainers room. Excuse time is over. 0-6 in the division is over. Seasons being over in October is over. It's time to win.

Woody is that you? LOL

In all seriousness, I get that feeling. I hate loosing. Fans want to win, players want to win and the FO wants to win. Wanting it and expecting it are two different things. I don't know what ***ups you are referring to, my guess it is the 2020 draft. While I don't want to get into is it 2 1/2 years, 3 years, whatever - the point is that after last season, there was an agreement to hit the Reset button. It doesn't matter who was here before that and for how long. This year was year 1 of the reset. Like it, don't like it, agree with it or not. Next year is year 2. Expectations are much higher than this year, but I would expect 8-9 wins. That's that expectation. We may overachieve or underachieve (hoping for over).

But, yes, he won't get a year 3 if next year is a mess; he isn't going to get a pass because he picked wrong and signed wrong. If ZW isn't the guy and we aren't in the playoffs by the 2023 season I doubt he gets a pass, but IMO the clock was reset last season, this is the end of year 1.

In my mind, the Jets have been rebuilding for 10+ years, but in reality there have been many more loosing and embarrassing seasons than good ones over the past 50+ years for me. So, yeah, winning some games would be nice. And I hope to never be playing for draft spot again ...

• Upvote 2