Jump to content

We need Two or more edge rushers and wrs


hmhertz
 Share

Recommended Posts

Only an idiot  would count on Carl Lawson with his history of injuries.

We were told by his defenders that he creates pressure and Trey Hendrickson didn't.

The results are in on brillante Douglas decision to sign Lawson over Trey. His signing is rehabbing

another of his many injuries, while Hendrickson was one of the league's leaders in sacks.

I like edge rushers who can run and bend, so my choices would be FA Harold Landry

and drafting David Ojabo.  I don't see a starting quality outside receiver on our roster,

certainly not the over rated bum we wasted cash in FA on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t understand how people can watch the game yesterday and see the defensive line in the backfield on every down but still want a edge and receiver!! We need to fix this oline!!  We need at least 2 pieces to complete the oline!  Neal/linderbaum then get edge and wr with our second round picks 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I don’t understand how people can watch the game yesterday and see the defensive line in the backfield on every down but still want a edge and receiver!! We need to fix this oline!!  We need at least 2 pieces to complete the oline!  Neal/linderbaum then get edge and wr with our second round picks 

i don't see the need to get two edge rushers but they need one.  even in yesterday's game the dline was getting some good penetration but they weren't able to keep allen contained.  he'd take off and there was nobody to catch him.  an edge would be able to keep his edge secure.  as for wr, they really need someone better than davis for the no. 1 guy.  but what they need more are for the guys to stay on the field every game.  the receivers missed too many games.  crowder probably isn't coming back so they at least need a replacement, not for slot since moore and berrios can cover that position but for one of the outside positions.  i also agree on the oline.  mcdermott and gvr did not hold up well against the buffalo rush.  they need more depth and at least one really good starter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I don’t understand how people can watch the game yesterday and see the defensive line in the backfield on every down but still want a edge and receiver!! We need to fix this oline!!  We need at least 2 pieces to complete the oline!  Neal/linderbaum then get edge and wr with our second round picks 

We were playing our 4th and 5th tackles, and our backup Center.

OL needs more quality depth to be sure, but edge and WR are also huge needs. We need another quality outside WR, and at least one quality edge who can pressure the QB.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I don’t understand how people can watch the game yesterday and see the defensive line in the backfield on every down but still want a edge and receiver!! We need to fix this oline!!  We need at least 2 pieces to complete the oline!  Neal/linderbaum then get edge and wr with our second round picks 

have you been watching all year? the OL was our best position. 

yesterday Mcdermont gave up 2-3 sacks. hes the backup to Fant who gave up one all year.

and Feeney another backup played center.

go watch the tape of Zachs throws and see how many times he had 3-4 secs to pass. it was alot. WRs couldnt get open, and he missed a few open guys in the flats. it wasn't the OL.

most mocks have 6-7 WRs going in the 1st rd. some of them are going to be good. we cant not get one. a good WR who gets separation will get double teamed and cause less blitzing. 

and we cant get to the QB for nothing. this is another deep draft in Edge. we cant afford to wait till rd 2 and let the top 5-7 guys get drafted. 

you want to fix the OL do it in FA or later in the draft. you can find good guys on the OL later in the draft more than you can WR and Edge.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jets need to pick a unit and get good at something rather then trying to fill every hole on the team this year... build a wall and run the ball down peoples throat...draft and sign ends and lead the league in sacks.  Worst thing they can do is take BPA and start drafting safeties in the top 10.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

We were playing our 4th and 5th tackles, and our backup Center.

OL needs more quality depth to be sure, but edge and WR are also huge needs. We need another quality outside WR, and at least one quality edge who can pressure the QB.

I agree but I think the value for those are there in the second round defiantly edge/OL in first I’d be happy then even double up at wide receiver in the 2nd and cb/lb after 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doitny said:

have you been watching all year? the OL was our best position. 

yesterday Mcdermont gave up 2-3 sacks. hes the backup to Fant who gave up one all year.

and Feeney another backup played center.

go watch the tape of Zachs throws and see how many times he had 3-4 secs to pass. it was alot. WRs couldnt get open, and he missed a few open guys in the flats. it wasn't the OL.

most mocks have 6-7 WRs going in the 1st rd. some of them are going to be good. we cant not get one. a good WR who gets separation will get double teamed and cause less blitzing. 

and we cant get to the QB for nothing. this is another deep draft in Edge. we cant afford to wait till rd 2 and let the top 5-7 guys get drafted. 

you want to fix the OL do it in FA or later in the draft. you can find good guys on the OL later in the draft more than you can WR and Edge.

I have been watching all year, Zach been running for his life and has less then a second to throw the ball, you are trying to build a starting offensive line out of backups, we need to fix the oline with another guard at least.

 

if it’s a deep draft ad edge then we can afford to use our second round picks on them, draft 2, solidify the edge position 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our biggest need is Edge rushers agile enough to bend.

We haven' had one since Johnny Abrascram. Power rushers

are always getting hurt, witness Lawson, Bosa brothers and JJ Watt.

Possibly all the steroids they gobble.  On the other hand the aforementioned

Abrascram had a long (15 yrs) productive career.  Another ancient bender

Robert Quinn just had 18 sacks in his 11th year.  That is why I want Ojabo

over Hutchinson as a sex offending Hall of Famer LT once said bend baby bend!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Our biggest need is Edge rushers agile enough to bend.

We haven' had one since Johnny Abrascram. Power rushers

are always getting hurt, witness Lawson, Bosa brothers and JJ Watt.

Possibly all the steroids they gobble.  On the other hand the aforementioned

Abrascram had a long (15 yrs) productive career.  Another ancient bender

Robert Quinn just had 18 sacks in his 11th year.  That is why I want Ojabo

over Hutchinson as a sex offending Hall of Famer LT once said bend baby bend!

Because he was such a fan favorite, few are willing to admit that maybe it wasn’t the best move for the team to pick up Mangold at the expense of John Abraham. 

I can sympathize with the swap at the time. Abraham was thought of as a fragile puss who wasn’t going to last long; Mangold looked like the exact opposite. Who really predicted Abraham would’ve been that productive for that long? 

I was a huge Mangold fan - and still am; he’s an easy player/ex-player to love - but the reality is an elite edge rusher trumps an elite center. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Because he was such a fan favorite, few are willing to admit that maybe it wasn’t the best move for the team to pick up Mangold at the expense of John Abraham. 

I can sympathize with the swap at the time. Abraham was thought of as a fragile puss who wasn’t going to last long; Mangold looked like the exact opposite. Who really predicted Abraham would’ve been that productive for that long? 

I was a huge Mangold fan - and still am; he’s an easy player/ex-player to love - but the reality is an elite edge rusher trumps an elite center. 

I'm not sure it was the mangold at the expense of Abraham, Abraham displayed some real Diva issues that helped make the decision.

I think it was too many missed opportunities the following years in finding an edge guy. "cough Gohlston"  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I don’t understand how people can watch the game yesterday and see the defensive line in the backfield on every down but still want a edge and receiver!! We need to fix this oline!!  We need at least 2 pieces to complete the oline!  Neal/linderbaum then get edge and wr with our second round picks 

We were playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers on the OL. 

Although the same is true for WR, the truth is, Corey Davis can't be your best threat on the outside and Berrios is a FA. The OL functioned pretty well when healthy this year, after the rough start. We definitely need more depth on the inside and may need a new right guard entirely depending on what happens with LDT, but the line is serviceable when healthy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Serviceable is not good enough. Not drafting an OL in the top 2 rounds would be a Fail!

Build your strength in the trenches. Draft and sign a few of play makers. Fill in the the D. 

 

EDGE

WR

OL

TE

LB

RB

S

CB

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would take Ojabo/Karlaftis and Treylon Burks/Drake London with a trade down from 10. And double dip in the 2nd if possible on Jermaine Johnson if he's there and a CB or safety with the second 2nd round pick. Sign best FA OLINE guard or center or both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, rldev said:

 

Trade back one of the top 2 picks if the value is there(Not too far back).

Draft Edge/OL/WR in round 1.

Draft OL/WR/TE in round 2.

Profit.

Based on prior drafts and my gut, I am seeing this year’s Jets draft like this:

1A-Hutchinson/Thib/Karlaftis-Edges always go high.  The 49ers always took DL high.  Unfortunately it could be Karlaftis-is he more like Solomon Thomas or Ryan Kerrigan.  We hope the latter.

1B-OL-Ekwonu or another will fall.  Someone who can play both T or G will work well.

2A-WR-someone good will drop.

2B-LB/S/TE/

3-TE/RB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edge is inevitable. 

I think the WR/OT debate is pointless before free agency and the combine.

  • Do we re-sign Moses?
  • Do we sign a starting receiver?
  • Do any of the round one receivers improve their stock at the combine?

And then there's the Mekhi question. I imagine the Jets will be checking-in with him diligently over the next few months until the draft. Is he having a productive, disciplined offseason? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I don’t understand how people can watch the game yesterday and see the defensive line in the backfield on every down but still want a edge and receiver!! We need to fix this oline!!  We need at least 2 pieces to complete the oline!  Neal/linderbaum then get edge and wr with our second round picks 

I think you're over reacting. Sorry. We have THREE starters on the line that were out - and played with a 3rd string left tackle and second string center. But you're judging our line play on backups to backups? Our line has plenty of talent. Sign a FA right guard and we're more than fine if Becton is OK. If he isn't OK, then and only then would I consider Neal. Where would we put him if Fant and Becton are OK? Fant had an amazing year and he's signed for next year. I will be disappointed if we go anywhere near the line in any of the early picks save for Linderbaum. Plus, most rookies will have growing pains early on in the season and I don't want Zach running for his life again because another rookie is learning on the fly. It even took AVT a few games to settle down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Two edge, two tight ends, two safeties.

If we are to look at what position group most warrants doubling and that is tight end imo.

Why 2 edge?  If we don't stop the run or RB/TE as a safety valve for the QB, it doesn't matter if we have 10 edge.

We need 1 Edge + Lawson back allowing us to slot JFM inside on passing downs (but not on running downs where he is effective at DE).

We need 2 starting caliber LBs with the physical traits and instincts to STOP the RUN and cover RBs/TEs.

Our weak LBs leave us guessing what is coming.  We stop the run and cover the dump-offs, we can then rush the passer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Why 2 edge?  If we don't stop the run or RB/TE as a safety valve for the QB, it doesn't matter if we have 10 edge.

We need 1 Edge + Lawson back allowing us to slot JFM inside on passing downs (but not on running downs where he is effective at DE).

We need 2 starting caliber LBs with the physical traits and instincts to STOP the RUN and cover RBs/TEs.

Our weak LBs leave us guessing what is coming.  We stop the run and cover the dump-offs, we can then rush the passer.

Edge is a massive need, to have the highest chances to getting a solution player you double down. 

I'm not assuming jfm can do anything of note after this past year and I'm also not assuming Lawson will come back to what he was before getting hurt.

The jets solved their WR problem by only drafting mims.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Edge is a massive need, to have the highest chances to getting a solution player you double down. 

I'm not assuming jfm can do anything of note after this past year and I'm also not assuming Lawson will come back to what he was before getting hurt.

The jets solved their WR problem by only drafting mims.

I guess my question back is where do you double down given all the needs this team has?  You also excluded LB from your priority list yet LB has a dramatic effect on both run and pass. 

Does your plan include stopping the run to improve the pass rush or do you disagree this is critical?

I'm with you Edge in round 1.  Where is the other Edge coming from?  FA or Draft and what position are we sacrificing to afford it?

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, undertow said:

Jets need to pick a unit and get good at something rather then trying to fill every hole on the team this year... build a wall and run the ball down peoples throat...draft and sign ends and lead the league in sacks.  Worst thing they can do is take BPA and start drafting safeties in the top 10.

100000000 percent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...