Jets Sign 10 Practice Squad Members To Futures Contracts

3 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

The 8 not signed DE Freedom Akinmoladun DL Ronnie Blair LB Noah Dawkins CB Lamar Jackson TE Josh Perkins WR VYncint Smith TE Dan Brown and CB Ken Webster (believe the rule is the Jets have 10 days to sign them after the season then they are free agents ) 

What are the rules on futures contracts?  All those guys have spent legitimate time on NFL rosters.  They may not be interested in futures deals.  I think every single one of them has more than double digit NFL games under their belt. 

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What are the rules on futures contracts?  All those guys have spent legitimate time on NFL rosters.  They may not be interested in futures deals.  I think every single one of them has more than double digit NFL games under their belt. 

Unless they changed it every person who ended on the practice squad has to sign a futures deal to be on the Jets next year . Unless the agents are telling them don’t sign see if a playoff team wants you 

Blair is a Saleh guy so I’m shocked he was not signed today 

8 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

Unless they changed it every person who ended on the practice squad has to sign a futures deal to be on the Jets next year . Unless the agents are telling them don’t sign see if a playoff team wants you 

Blair is a Saleh guy so I’m shocked he was not signed today 

They have to sign a deal.  I don't know that it has to be a futures deal.  I think the futures deals just mean that they don't count against the 2021 cap and don't go into effect until the 2022 league year starts in March.  Those guys all have reason to think that teams will want them.  They may not be among the 53 x 32 best players in the world, but they are almost certainly among the 90 x 32 best.  They may be looking for better deals or some small signing bonus.  They may think they have more options than the others. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They have to sign a deal.  I don't know that it has to be a futures deal.  I think the futures deals just mean that they don't count against the 2021 cap and don't go into effect until the 2022 league year starts in March.  Those guys all have reason to think that teams will want them.  They may not be among the 53 x 32 best players in the world, but they are almost certainly among the 90 x 32 best.  They may be looking for better deals or some small signing bonus.  They may think they have more options than the others. 

Exactly. The Jets have 10 days to work out a deal and then they become free agents 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

That was nice of them.  I think he was on a deal that would have paid him around $10M for 2022.  You knew they would cut him, but they could have played games until the deadline.  A playoff team might actually want him, so it was a class move for a change.  I wonder about Neasman.  He was on a minimum deal.