I want Jimmy G here next year

39 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I’d prefer to take the money Jimmy G would command and give it to Dalton Schultz or Jessie Bates or somebody that will help Zach out

Was thinking about how next season is going to put an end to the embarrassment we've put on display at TE the past few years.  I feel confident JD is going to bring in 2 guys (maybe 1 draftee and 1 FA).   It's amazing how awful we've been at this position for so long.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jbt said:

so Zach sits for the next couple of seasons then you pick up his 5th year option with not knowing anything more than this year?

No.....not what he said.

You get a REAL QB to compete with Zach.  If Zach beats him out, great.  If Zach can't, then you have a placeholder for two years, because if Zach can't beat out Jimmy G., then Zach isn't our future....cut and dry.

If Zach does win the starting job but goes down for four games, Jimmy G. has the talent to win.  

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsDogs said:

Before this thread gets crapped on, hear me out:

I live in the Bay Area - moved from NY 25 years ago and still bleed green.  However, SF is my B team, and I'm raising my son to be a Niners fan (I believe if I gave this monkey from my back to his from 3000 miles away I'd get a call from Child Protective Services, but I digress).  I watch a lot of Niners football.  I think they are insane to move on from Jimmy G in the prime of his career for a Div II Quarterback.   

Looks, the dude just guts out wins.  He can be clutch in the right situations. He can make all the throws.  This offense is PERFECT for his skill set.  He will elevate the offense.  it will become obvious which wideouts are running precise routes, as he will throw guys open.

The Great Aaron Rodgers didn't start until Season 4.

I've seen enough of Jimmy ( and yes the boneheaded plays) to be convinced he could elevate the team's play, and set a standard for Zach to meet if he ever wants to be the starter.

Queue the wolves, Jimmy haters, and Zach coddlers (and BTW I think Zach will evolve to be an excellent pro - I liked how he progressed towards the end of the season).  I think 2 years of Jimmy, at a minimum, would make us a better team, and Zach a better QB.

I have to ask, do you think The Jets bring in a high salary like JG will command with the way JD has navigated FA? I would be happy if we brought in a second tier pass catching TE like Howard

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

No.....not what he said.

You get a REAL QB to compete with Zach.  If Zach beats him out, great.  If Zach can't, then you have a placeholder for two years, because if Zach can't beat out Jimmy G., then Zach isn't our future....cut and dry.

If Zach does win the starting job but goes down for four games, Jimmy G. has the talent to win.  

If Zach bombs out next year,  then I think we're better off not having a veteran.  Let's just try to lose as many games as possible and be in the Bryce Young sweepstakes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Fair points. What did you think of Lance in the time he got to play? 

Not bad, but definitely not ready.  Doesn't run through all of his reads, has trouble seeing the field, and counts on his arm and athleticism to bail him out (of course, you could say that about a lot of rookie QBs).  Very different than Jimmy.  While Trey has the gun and the speed, he is a long way from mastering that offense, and SF is in WIN NOW mode.  I respect that Shanahan rolled with Jimmy, which was not the most popular opinion at the time.  I do think Trey was WAY overdrafted based on a complete ****up by Lynch of making that insane trade to move up to 3.  SF wanted Zach badly, and if you know the #2 team is locked in on Zach, why make that trade?

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

garapolo wouldn't have been sacked 9 times yesterday.  he would've been injured after the third one.  wilson is learning to be a game manager.  he had nothing to throw to yesterday and zero run game.  can't fault him for the loss.   next season he'll do much better.  as for garapolo being right for this offense, that may be but i doubt if douglas would've drafted wilson and traded darnold if saleh and lafleur thought he wasn't the right guy.

Fair points - Garappolo is not as fragile as Chad, but yeah that game would have crushed him.  I also guarantee he gets rid of the ball quicker with linemen up in his grill, and only takes 3-4 sacks.

I’ve tinkered with the idea…but at the end of the day…why?

Why throw $6+ million a year at a Garopollo, Trubisky or Brissett when the Jets are essentially committed to Wilson for the next two years whether he pans out or not?

I’d rather just re-sign Flacco for another year on the cheap if he still feels like playing.

He knows the system, is a former Super Bowl winner, still has the arm and no longer has any delusions of being a consistent starter.

In other words, he’s the perfect backup to a young QB.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

I’m just glad you didn’t make your kid a Jets fan. Saved him from 18 weeks worth of misery. Every year. That’s more than a third of his life!

I bought him a Jets hat when he was real young (and before the Jets completely bottomed out) and my wife was NOT having it!  This is my little guy at our Niners Superbowl party - he's in the Garappolo jersey.  To be honest, my Jet fandom is like a werewolf curse - time to stop the bloodline ?

83914369_10219445355817866_2950545603530063872_n.jpeg

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The old "draft a qb at 2, watch him get progressively better as the year goes on, then bench him the next 3 years for a JAG qb" move.

This is a brilliant plan.

Jimmy is no Jag but yeah highly unorthodox.  Hey it's the Jets - we've sucked badly for a decade why not go against the grain?  We're worried about the fragile ego of a 22 year old QB who went 4 and 13?  It's not like hiring Urban Meyer and giving him millions to be a destructive a-hole!

And to be clear, Jimmy will only come here as the starter.  Did anyone on this board watch the Niners Rams game yesterday?  Jimmy balled out man.  Coming back from a 17 point deficit at halftime and winning that game.  It was nice.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’ve tinkered with the idea…but at the end of the day…why?

Why throw $6+ million a year at a Garopollo, Trubisky or Brissett when the Jets are essentially committed to Wilson for the next two years whether he pans out or not?

I’d rather just re-sign Flacco for another year on the cheap if he still feels like playing.

He knows the system, is a former Super Bowl winner, still has the arm and no longer has any delusions of being a consistent starter.

In other words, he’s the perfect backup to a young QB.

JG at $6MM? He’s closer to $26MM.

Flacco and/or White aren’t serious options for more than a game or two. Maybe a few games tops with Flacco. But they may need more than just to have another body to dress; but rather they may need someone for longer, to seriously evaluate other players instead of writing off their bad season due to Wilson. Especially with the way Wilson’s got an impulse to scramble around for an extra few seconds instead of tossing it away. 

Though he’s still clearly not an obviously-good starter, Wilson’s shown enough that the other option doesn’t need to be a JG-money type of investment. I’d still ante up more than Flacco/White, but there are other options you mention in between, like Brissett. 

The problem with the other option being just Flacco is, if Wilson struggles again early, there’s no seriousness to the idea they’ll go with Flacco for a dozen games or more. They could do that with Brissett, Trubisky, and a couple others who aren’t bank breakers.

I’d definitely take a more realistic 10-game-starter option for $6MM over a $3MM unserious 10-game-starter option. The difference in cost will have zero effect on the ability or inability to sign anyone else. 

I do think there’s an excellent chance they just re-sign Flacco, though, if he’s willing to return here. Douglas seems to have a sort of crush on him. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not particularly a fan of JG or his cost or his fragility.

I just want average, middle of the road, 15th or so ranked/rated QB play and production, to start with.

I don't care who gives it to us.  

I just don't want to watch another season where our QB is ranked 32nd and we're out of contention by week 6.

Feels like that is not asking too much.

Totally agree - and you'll get that and possibly more with Jimmy.  I hear a lot of sunken cost fallacy.  Aaron Rodgers sat behind Farve BEFORE the rookie salary cap. 

JG was a top ten qb this year statistically, and is probably in the 10-13 range individually and would likely be higher if he didnt have the injuries.   You dont bring that in as a backup, and many teams will pay a very high price for him, despite the very high injury risk.

He would be a massive upgrade to the Jets team of course, but it would basically mean the GM was falling on his sword and willing to move on from ZW as well as his own job.

Not going to happen at this point.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I’d prefer to take the money Jimmy G would command and give it to Dalton Schultz or Jessie Bates or somebody that will help Zach out

this is it. great post

this is why guys like Aaron Rodgers get pissed when the team uses a 1st rd pick to draft his replacement when he still has 3-4 more good years left.

that 30 mil for Jimmy G would be best spent on weapons to help Zach get better.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, PavlovsDogs said:

I bought him a Jets hat when he was real young (and before the Jets completely bottomed out) and my wife was NOT having it!  This is my little guy at our Niners Superbowl party - he's in the Garappolo jersey.  To be honest, my Jet fandom is like a werewolf curse - time to stop the bloodline ?

I have two little girls and they could care less about the Jets. The prefer they local teams anyways (Mavs, Cowboys, Rangers). Way better choices than Jets, Mets n Nets. Couldn’t curse my kids’ Sundays. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, PavlovsDogs said:

200-3.gif.d5ca7f139c0571531a80af57ff523e32.gif

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

No.....not what he said.

Sure, pay $30 million dollars and give up 2 draft picks to create a QB competition that only benefits the beat writers

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, PavlovsDogs said:

Before this thread gets crapped on, hear me out:

I live in the Bay Area - moved from NY 25 years ago and still bleed green.  However, SF is my B team, and I'm raising my son to be a Niners fan (I believe if I gave this monkey from my back to his from 3000 miles away I'd get a call from Child Protective Services, but I digress).  I watch a lot of Niners football.  I think they are insane to move on from Jimmy G in the prime of his career for a Div II Quarterback.   

Looks, the dude just guts out wins.  He can be clutch in the right situations. He can make all the throws.  This offense is PERFECT for his skill set.  He will elevate the offense.  it will become obvious which wideouts are running precise routes, as he will throw guys open.

The Great Aaron Rodgers didn't start until Season 4.

I've seen enough of Jimmy ( and yes the boneheaded plays) to be convinced he could elevate the team's play, and set a standard for Zach to meet if he ever wants to be the starter.

Queue the wolves, Jimmy haters, and Zach coddlers (and BTW I think Zach will evolve to be an excellent pro - I liked how he progressed towards the end of the season).  I think 2 years of Jimmy, at a minimum, would make us a better team, and Zach a better QB.

I wanted the Jets to draft Jimmy G. Big mistake not doing so. No way he’s coming here. Would love it but ain’t no way Jose.

11 hours ago, rangerous said:

garapolo wouldn't have been sacked 9 times yesterday.  he would've been injured after the third one.  wilson is learning to be a game manager.  he had nothing to throw to yesterday and zero run game.  can't fault him for the loss.   next season he'll do much better.  as for garapolo being right for this offense, that may be but i doubt if douglas would've drafted wilson and traded darnold if saleh and lafleur thought he wasn't the right guy.

With way more weapons that Douglas will get for Wilson, much improved OL play that was seen, for the most part, once Wilson came back, and the confidence that I think Wilson now knows he belongs at the highest level in the sport, you’ll definitely see LaFleur open up the entire playbook.

You’ll see Mahomes type plays, you’ll see Rodgers type throws.

You’ll see him take off for big gains running to keep Ds honest.

You will also see him be a “game manager” when the situation calls for it, that’s not his game, but in his rookie year he learned to do that by necessity, due to the just unbelievable amount of injuries that totally decimated his unit.

There was a reason he was drafted #2, off the charts talent in so many ways.

He can win in many different ways, which is way nicer than being stuck with a QB that needs a 15 play drive where everything has to go right.

image.thumb.png.31a960701c3b4fb2444139198d2a945c.png

• Upvote 2

I watched most of the Rams game last Sunday.   Good post.  He's a very good QB.  Highly under rated.   Zach would be hard pressed to ever beat him out as the starter if we brought him in.   The NFC West is a balls out division from top to bottom.  Games are all out war.  

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

No.....not what he said.

Jimmy G is barely a real qb

• Thumb Down 1

10 hours ago, PavlovsDogs said:

Jimmy is no Jag but yeah highly unorthodox.  Hey it's the Jets - we've sucked badly for a decade why not go against the grain?  We're worried about the fragile ego of a 22 year old QB who went 4 and 13?  It's not like hiring Urban Meyer and giving him millions to be a destructive a-hole!

And to be clear, Jimmy will only come here as the starter.  Did anyone on this board watch the Niners Rams game yesterday?  Jimmy balled out man.  Coming back from a 17 point deficit at halftime and winning that game.  It was nice.

No one is fretting about a fragile ego. This is a narrative designed to make Zach look like some sort of weakling that needs to be got rid of.

This team is going to win or lose with Zach - that much is clear. And Jimmy G will only come here to start - that much is also clear. So if you sign Jimmy G, you have decided to move on from Zach. Not because of his ego, but because you just signed a guy that is going to take his job for the next three years (barring injury). At the end of that you have to decide on the contract of a guy you chose not to play for 3 years. 

So - do we sign an expensive vet, anoint him as starter, and look to trade last year's top draft pick after 13 games? Or do we continue to develop that draft pick - for better or worse?