I want Jimmy G here next year

PavlovsDogs

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Sure, pay $30 million dollars and give up 2 draft picks to create a QB competition that only benefits the beat writers

Nobody said anything about giving up draft picks.  Not sure where you got that from Joe.  

I am under the assumption that PavlovsDogs was suggesting Jimmy Garrapolo because he will probably be cut by San Fran to save over $25 million in cap space and move forward with Tre Lance.  I mean, obviously if they don't release him, you don't trade assets for him.  But if you can sign him, why not?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, PavlovsDogs said:

Before this thread gets crapped on, hear me out:

I live in the Bay Area - moved from NY 25 years ago and still bleed green.  However, SF is my B team, and I'm raising my son to be a Niners fan (I believe if I gave this monkey from my back to his from 3000 miles away I'd get a call from Child Protective Services, but I digress).  I watch a lot of Niners football.  I think they are insane to move on from Jimmy G in the prime of his career for a Div II Quarterback.   

Looks, the dude just guts out wins.  He can be clutch in the right situations. He can make all the throws.  This offense is PERFECT for his skill set.  He will elevate the offense.  it will become obvious which wideouts are running precise routes, as he will throw guys open.

The Great Aaron Rodgers didn't start until Season 4.

I've seen enough of Jimmy ( and yes the boneheaded plays) to be convinced he could elevate the team's play, and set a standard for Zach to meet if he ever wants to be the starter.

Queue the wolves, Jimmy haters, and Zach coddlers (and BTW I think Zach will evolve to be an excellent pro - I liked how he progressed towards the end of the season).  I think 2 years of Jimmy, at a minimum, would make us a better team, and Zach a better QB.

If Houston moves on from Culley I could see McDaniels and Jimmy G reuniting.

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Nobody said anything about giving up draft picks.  Not sure where you got that from Joe.  

I am under the assumption that PavlovsDogs was suggesting Jimmy Garrapolo because he will probably be cut by San Fran to save over $25 million in cap space and move forward with Tre Lance.  I mean, obviously if they don't release him, you don't trade assets for him.  But if you can sign him, why not?

They are moving forward with  Lance. Hmm, sounds like a good idea. Maybe the Jets should try with Wilsont and not spend a ton of cap space on a backup QB like Jimmy G who won't come here to 

a- Be a backup

b- on the cheap. 

Horrible idea  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

He's not getting released.  He just led his team to the playoffs.  If SF is ready to move on, there are 5-10 teams that would be happy to have him as a starting QB at $26 million next season.  QBs that lead teams to the playoffs don't get cut. They get traded for decent draft picks. If the Jets can trade Darnold, the 49ers will get great value for Garappolo.  If the Jets foolishly want him, it will cost at least two picks, including a high 2nd.  It's a bad move. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, NYJets43 said:

Got to give the kid at least another season. Stick to the plan!

Totally, especially since he was improving and throwing to traffic cones, I mean off the street receivers by the end of the year…

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yep - never said to give up

assets for him.  He will be released - and then  NINERS fans are going to bitch when Trey Kapernick leads them to no man’s land 😂

16 hours ago, PavlovsDogs said:

Not bad, but definitely not ready.  Doesn't run through all of his reads, has trouble seeing the field, and counts on his arm and athleticism to bail him out (of course, you could say that about a lot of rookie QBs).  Very different than Jimmy.  While Trey has the gun and the speed, he is a long way from mastering that offense, and SF is in WIN NOW mode.  I respect that Shanahan rolled with Jimmy, which was not the most popular opinion at the time.  I do think Trey was WAY overdrafted based on a complete ****up by Lynch of making that insane trade to move up to 3.  SF wanted Zach badly, and if you know the #2 team is locked in on Zach, why make that trade?

Steve Young has talked about this. SF was certain that JD would not take the risk and draft Wilson and we would take Fields instead. I do not know why they thought that as by the time they made the trade the day of Zach's pro day everyone had Zach to the Jets pretty much in ink. Certainly a week or so later even Young knew the Jets were 100% locked in on Zach. Maybe the conversations with the Jets and Zach were really low key or very non-committal and they took that to mean they were not going to take. Lynch and JD watched the pro day together which makes it doubly weird that they thought we were taking Fields. I am not sure JD would burn a bridge and tell Lynch they weren't taking Zach when they were.

It would be a really interesting thing to see in like an insider piece on the SF decisions and trade.

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

If Houston moves on from Culley I could see McDaniels and Jimmy G reuniting.

If I am Houston, I am neither getting rid of Culley NOR looking for another QB. The Texans actually played pretty well and Mills play was definitely strong enough to roll with him in 2022. Zach improved each week but so did Mills. 

That said the way they handled the Watson situation was pathetic. They should have fined and suspended Watson the maximum allowed  of he did not act as a member of the team.

The rumored compensation they wanted was never ever going to happen and I think maybe they remained passive hoping that someone caved. It was idiotic.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

JG at $6MM? He’s closer to $26MM.

Flacco and/or White aren’t serious options for more than a game or two. Maybe a few games tops with Flacco. But they may need more than just to have another body to dress; but rather they may need someone for longer, to seriously evaluate other players instead of writing off their bad season due to Wilson. Especially with the way Wilson’s got an impulse to scramble around for an extra few seconds instead of tossing it away. 

Though he’s still clearly not an obviously-good starter, Wilson’s shown enough that the other option doesn’t need to be a JG-money type of investment. I’d still ante up more than Flacco/White, but there are other options you mention in between, like Brissett. 

The problem with the other option being just Flacco is, if Wilson struggles again early, there’s no seriousness to the idea they’ll go with Flacco for a dozen games or more. They could do that with Brissett, Trubisky, and a couple others who aren’t bank breakers.

I’d definitely take a more realistic 10-game-starter option for $6MM over a $3MM unserious 10-game-starter option. The difference in cost will have zero effect on the ability or inability to sign anyone else. 

I do think there’s an excellent chance they just re-sign Flacco, though, if he’s willing to return here. Douglas seems to have a sort of crush on him. 

Yes I lean homer but I think Wilson improved so much over the last 5 or 6 games that I think it is much more likely that he makes a big jump in 2022 than struggles. Watch the QB school video. Zach wasn't good because he played off schedule sandlot QB, he played well because he played fundamentally excellent football. Footwork, reads, accuracy, timing, it was there.

I was even impressed against Buffalo. Yeah he took way too many sacks but he was trying to make plays but was not reckless. We just had nothing on offense.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If I am Houston, I am neither getting rid of Culley NOR looking for another QB. The Texans actually played pretty well and Mills play was definitely strong enough to roll with him in 2022. Zach improved each week but so did Mills. 

That said the way they handled the Watson situation was pathetic. They should have fined and suspended Watson the maximum allowed  of he did not act as a member of the team.

The rumored compensation they wanted was never ever going to happen and I think maybe they remained passive hoping that someone caved. It was idiotic.

Yea that team is a train wreck. I do think both Mills and Culley did an admiral job but I think the Jets getting the senior bowl means the Texans job is not as safe as we think.

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Yea that team is a train wreck. I do think both Mills and Culley did an admiral job but I think the Jets getting the senior bowl means the Texans job is not as safe as we think.

Yes the Jets coaching is an interesting (and AWESOME) development. Culley was intended as a temp, bridge head coach but he seemed to me at least through a couple games and red zone that he did enough to get a second season. And Mills was essentially playing his second year at high level football and was impressive.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yes I lean homer but I think Wilson improved so much over the last 5 or 6 games that I think it is much more likely that he makes a big jump in 2022 than struggles. Watch the QB school video. Zach wasn't good because he played off schedule sandlot QB, he played well because he played fundamentally excellent football. Footwork, reads, accuracy, timing, it was there.

I was even impressed against Buffalo. Yeah he took way too many sacks but he was trying to make plays but was not reckless. We just had nothing on offense.

However likely or unlikely you think it to be, compare his chances of sucking to someone very established. Plus with that scrambling propensity he'll always be a bit higher injury risk than many others.

Putting aside any homer/hater labels, I don't think he's earned zero other viable 10+ game starters being on the roster. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

However likely or unlikely you think it to be, compare his chances of sucking to someone very established. Plus with that scrambling propensity he'll always be a bit higher injury risk than many others.

Putting aside any homer/hater labels, I don't think he's earned zero other viable 10+ game starters being on the roster. 

I didnt say we should roll with just Zach and Mike White, but I also do not think we need any sort of QB competition or shared rep situation either. We have to fully commit for at least one more year and hopefully provide a better supporting cast for him.

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I didnt say we should roll with just Zach and Mike White, but I also do not think we need any sort of QB competition or shared rep situation either. We have to fully commit for at least one more year and hopefully provide a better supporting cast for him.

I mentioned no one seriously thinks he won't be the opening day starter. But if he looks horrible for the first month straight, out of the gate, the rest of the team shouldn't be punished for the remaining 12-13 games just because there's no one else they feel they can start for more than a few weeks of spot duty. 

Just saying, such risk is unnecessary. It's not like every backup costs $10MM/yr. Especially since the established, veteran starter money really got up there.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They are moving forward with  Lance. Hmm, sounds like a good idea. Maybe the Jets should try with Wilsont and not spend a ton of cap space on a backup QB like Jimmy G who won't come here to 

a- Be a backup

b- on the cheap. 

Horrible idea  

No harm in kicking a tire, unless the vehicle belongs to a mobster.

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why acquire an expensive Garoppolo via trade (due $27M, though very little of that is guaranteed coin) when we can just sign Jameis Winston or Mitchell Trubisky as FA's, or trade for a cheap Gardner Minshew?

Again, nobody is suggesting it is done through a trade.  There is a presumption that IF Garrapolo is released due to their commitment to Lance, then it is worth looking at.

And it is quite possible:  If they are in on Lance, they do NOT want to pay $27 million for a back-up QB, and would not have to, given what little guaranteed money is in his contract for 2022.

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He's not getting released.  He just led his team to the playoffs.  If SF is ready to move on, there are 5-10 teams that would be happy to have him as a starting QB at $26 million next season.  QBs that lead teams to the playoffs don't get cut. They get traded for decent draft picks. If the Jets can trade Darnold, the 49ers will get great value for Garappolo.  If the Jets foolishly want him, it will cost at least two picks, including a high 2nd.  It's a bad move. 

Possibly.  But if San Francisco goes into koo-koo mode, and believes they can get multiple picks for him, there may be no taker.

Look, the idea of Garrapolo coming here is a LONG LONG shot. What Pavlov, I think, is getting at, that IF there is a possibility for a very good back-up/borderline starter, to come here and back-up (and push) Zach Wilson, so be it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Jets won’t bring in real competition, and if we are honest with ourselves we know why. 

Not that I want Woody Johnson to meddle, but it would be nice to imagine a world in which Douglas and Saleh know that messing up at QB puts them squarely on the hot seat, thus adding urgency to the idea of bringing in a legitimate QB2 (or QB1b) to compete for the job.  

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Possibly.  But if San Francisco goes into koo-koo mode, and believes they can get multiple picks for him, there may be no taker.

Look, the idea of Garrapolo coming here is a LONG LONG shot. What Pavlov, I think, is getting at, that IF there is a possibility for a very good back-up/borderline starter, to come here and back-up (and push) Zach Wilson, so be it. 

What confuses me is that would be the situation for San Francisco if they keep him, they would have a very good back up/starter, and they have a highly drafted quarterback who’s trying to learn… Why not just keep him?

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again, nobody is suggesting it is done through a trade.  There is a presumption that IF Garrapolo is released due to their commitment to Lance, then it is worth looking at.

And it is quite possible:  If they are in on Lance, they do NOT want to pay $27 million for a back-up QB, and would not have to, given what little guaranteed money is in his contract for 2022.

I imagine SF will do everything in their power to try to get something back in a trade for Jimmy G before cutting him.  If he's cut that will be another matter entirely, but until that happens I'll assume we'd have to trade for a $27M backup, and that's not ideal.

2 minutes ago, LSJF said:

What confuses me is that would be the situation for San Francisco if they keep him, they would have a very good back up/starter, and they have a highly drafted quarterback who’s trying to learn… Why not just keep him?

Because their cap situation isn't anywhere close to as good as ours (they're projected to have a little over $11M at this time, and be over the cap after filling out the rest of their roster), and that $27M (actually a little under $26M after the dead money hit) would free them up to do a lot of things this offseason.

• Upvote 1

If Jimmy G came to the Jets next year, there is a very good chance he would outperform Zach Wilson in training camp. 

The idea that Zach Wilson is going to go to the bench next year but still be the future franchise QB is not likely. He's probably a dead man walking if that happens. The Jets won't do that.

We need Zach Wilson to show up to training camp and at least be at or around the Jimmy G level next year. If he does that, then there is a lot of hope for Zach going forward. If he's not even at that level next year, it's not looking good for him.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If Jimmy G came to the Jets next year, there is a very good chance he would outperform Zach Wilson in training camp. 

The idea that Zach Wilson is going to go to the bench next year but still be the future franchise QB is not likely. He's probably a dead man walking if that happens. The Jets won't do that.

We need Zach Wilson to show up to training camp and at least be at or around the Jimmy G level next year. If he does that, then there is a lot of hope for Zach going forward. If he's not even at that level next year, it's not looking good for him.

We all know that even if a veteran QB outperforms Wilson in camp, the coaches and front office will spin it that Wilson actually was better, still gives the team the best chance, has the trust of the team, blah blah blah.  Wilson will start Week 1 barring an injury.

I just want the team to have a capable plan B if/when he fails.  Trotting Joe Flacco's corpse out there again this year would be inexcusable.  

• Upvote 1

San Francisco/John Lynch obviously makes good moves and mistakes, but his roster is in good enough shape to make the playoffs while paying both JG/TL this year.   By drafting TL, he made the decision to ultimately transition to him.

The Jets on the other hand won 4 games while only paying Zach Wilson the salary cap for the 2 draft pick, slightly more than Lance.   But I guess our JG was Mosely and all of the dead cap spend.  

I agree that there should be other options to have a credible backup/replacement QB for Zach Wilson if he ends up terrible that should not cost $26mm.   Even a Minshew type.  Mike White will end up costing $3mm-$5mm next year if he is kept around.   
I don't think White/Flacco is necessarily a realistic option for the Jets next year, but money spent on another QB is less money spent to support Zach and the defense.  In my view with this roster, $26mm is too much.  

I dont believe wilson is the answer but even saying that you have to give him at least another year at minimum-too much is invested to just walk away-the only guy I would consider doing that for is Watson and there would have to be all sorts of conditions tied to his contract to even consider him