Jump to content

Doggin's Offseason Plan


Doggin94it
 Share

Recommended Posts

I agree with your sentiment that we need a big name wr and tight end as well. However the odds of Adams hitting the open market is 0%. Godwin could be interesting depending on his recovery. I personally would trade for Ridley. 
 

But yeah - spend your free agent money on offense and go all in on defense in the draft considering this is supposedly a very good draft for D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love Davante but I just think maybe Tannenbaum could've made that happen but Joe D hasn't proved he can land that tier of free agent. 

I love the rest of it, though. Edge + Ekwonu.

But I genuinely wonder about Allen Robinson. He's coming off a bad season, would cost them 22 mil to franchise again and they're about to hire a new coach/GM. For me, that's a genuine "sign this beast, short money" situation. 3 years, average of 20 mil a season, large amount of up-front signing bonus. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I would’ve agreed with this about 2 months ago but not now.

Our run defense, and especially right up the gut to my surprise, was garbage.

I’m not giving this dude $6-8 million a year when he clearly isn’t a fit in this scheme.

You’re already paying JFM, so shift him back inside and line him up next to Q where he’s best suited anyways. Dollars to donuts the Jets are drafting an edgerusher either at #4 or #10, and this entire scheme revolves around getting pressure with your front 4. Foley provides zero.

Lawson, Williams, JFM, and a guy like Karlaftis is a nice front that should be able to apply pressure from inside and out.

Let Foley walk and get a nice deal as a 3-4 NT from a team that can utilize his skillset. I wish him the best of luck.

Honestly I am grading him with personal like and some production appreciation, but he really is more of a 3-4 NT and used at that, true.  *I WITHDRAW MY CAVEAT* lol

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Point #1: davante is not even a pipedream, it's an idiots impossible fantasy. He's not leaving greenbay and if he does, it's not for ny.

Point #2: agree

Point #3: I'm ok with njoku, love schultz, gesicki is horrific, he's not a TE, doesn't ever play in line, can't block for sh*t

Point #4: I think early rounds will be split offense and defense, we desperately need another pass rusher and safety. Another LB would be good as well.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

This is, of course, a critical thread, since what I think should happen will obviously determine the fate of the Jets for the next few years. So let's get to it.

1) Give all the money to Davante Adams. (Backup plan: If Adams won't take it from us, give slightly less than all the money to Chris Godwin)

ron swanson GIF

The last two offseasons Douglas has primarily been a bargain shopper, looking for up-and-coming players who could be had at less than top of market, rather than going after the top-tier players at positions of need. And that made sense, considering all the holes we had and the uncertainty at QB. This offseason it's time to make a very different move and bring in a true No. 1 WR. Not only would Adams (or, to a lesser extent, Godwin) be a huge help to Wilson as a dominant target who can win 50/50 balls and is open even when covered, but they'd unlock the value of Davis and Moore. Davis in particular fares much better as the complimentary target than as the primary guy drawing double coverage, and an Adams-Moore-Davis trio would be an elite WR group. Adams has said he wants to be the highest paid WR in the NFL, but given what Arizona is paying Hopkins (27.25/per) and the gap between him and the second highest paid WR (Julio at 22) that's a stretch. But I'd go as high as 24M per year with a strong guarantee to get Adams in the door. Godwin is probably looking at the Amari Cooper deal (20M/per, 5 years).

2) Resign Berrios, Bawden, and the Doctor. Let Foley Fatukasi walk. Morgan Moses will want to test the market; bring him back if the contract value is right, but he's not a priority, especially since the plan now has got to be to shift Becton to the right side of the OL (Fant has been just too good this year not to be the starting LT in 2022; you can move Becton back to the left side in 2023 if you can't extend Fant). Nobody else on the Jets' FA list is a priority; you can resign folks like White, Pineiro, or Joyner if their market allows it, or you can replace them with similar level players from other teams if their market somehow explodes.

3) Sign David Njoku, Dalton Schultz, or Mike Gesicki. Njoku is actually my first choice here, as he'll probably come at a better value than Gesicki (who has a better pedigree and stats) or Schultz (will be paid top of market coming off a career year). Njoku has quietly had a very good year - only 36 receptions but he's doing the little things and his OTC valuation is roughly 7.5M per, which, for reference, is what the Raiders are paying Waller - and a skill position group of Adams, Davis, Moore, Njoku and Carter would be very hard to defend.

4) Focus on D in the early rounds of the draft. You can use the second of our first round picks on an offensive lineman - based on their profiles, either Linderbaum (C) or Ekonwu (profiles as an AVT level RG who can swing to tackle in a pinch) would be perfect fits, and @football guy has heard that Ekonwu is on our radar - but our other premium picks should go edge (likely Karlaftis at 4, barring a miracle slide from Hutchinson or Thibs) and some combination of off-ball LB and S (two LBs would be fine, LB/S or S/LB fine, S/S not so much). Then load up on a big-bodied RB to complement Carter and developmental OL

In other words: beef out the offense in FA with a dominant No. 1 WR as the true priority, and plan to address the defense hard in the draft. An OL of Fant-AVT-McGovern-Ekonwu/LDT-Becton/Moses would be a perfect setup for Wilson, especially with Adams-Davis-Moore-Njoku-Berrios-Carter as his skill players. If Lawson comes back healthy and Wilson progresses, that's a true playoff-contending roster.   

I’m with you 100%.

However, Adams isn’t leaving GB unless Rodgers does. And if Rodgers does leave, Adams will want to go to Oak with his best friend Carr, and the Raiders will definitely pay up for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

sign this beast, short money

8 other GMs thinking the same thing. Is Zack Wilson and the Jets offense the thing that seals the deal? Nahhh.
$ will need to blow other team’s offers out of the water. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

8 other GMs thinking the same thing. Is Zack Wilson and the Jets offense the thing that seals the deal? Nahhh.
$ will need to blow other team’s offers out of the water. 

I hear that. We probably have to really overpay. 

Maybe if Davante actually does hit FA and some of those teams get distracted in a bidding war for him?

Pipe dream probably. But this is one of those few offseaosns spending a lot in free agency to bolster a young quarterback is good football GM'ing. This isn't some Ryan Fitzpatrick desperation year attempt.

Makes sense for Saleh & JD too. You can't have another losing season and expect to keep your job. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jetsallday24x's offseason Plan

#1 Resign Foley, Berrios, Cole, Pineiro, Maye, (If Maye will take short term team friendly deal.) Not much to say here, Resign your own guys who contribute and you won't break the bank for. 

 

#2 Trade for Ridley Or sign younger receiver you won't have to break the bank for + Draft one in rd 3 or later. #WR 1 is already on the roster. (Elijah Moore) exclusively leaving him in the slot like it seems alot of people here want to do would be coaching malpractice. The receiving core should be built around his skill set. He's legit. 

 

#3. Double dip at Tight end. One in Free Agency one in RD2 of draft. We have worst Tight end group in the league simple as that I don't see a guy in free agency worth breaking the bank for that's fits scheme. That suddenly turns are our tight end room around. The whole room needs a rebuild just add bodies. 

 

#4. Trade down from 4 If offer comes from Qb needy team and Hutchinson + Thibodaux are gone. This draft is absolutely loaded with defensive talent, + guys fall every year that nobody expects. Im not in the camp of taking a DB in top 5 we saw with Jamal as good as he was it was a massive reach. 

 

5. Use rest of draft capital to add more oline help and and rebuild the defense. Have assets to do both. Assuming we try and don't get Schreff then RG should be high on list of need. Don't know if there's a guard worth taking in top 5 but 10 or later could be an option. After that defense, defense & more DEFENSE 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I agree with your sentiment that we need a big name wr and tight end as well. However the odds of Adams hitting the open market is 0%. Godwin could be interesting depending on his recovery. I personally would trade for Ridley. 
 

But yeah - spend your free agent money on offense and go all in on defense in the draft considering this is supposedly a very good draft for D

 

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Point #1: davante is not even a pipedream, it's an idiots impossible fantasy. He's not leaving greenbay and if he does, it's not for ny.

Point #2: agree

Point #3: I'm ok with njoku, love schultz, gesicki is horrific, he's not a TE, doesn't ever play in line, can't block for sh*t

Point #4: I think early rounds will be split offense and defense, we desperately need another pass rusher and safety. Another LB would be good as well.

Here's the thing about "Davante isn't hitting FA" - GB is currently $40M over the projected 2022 cap (https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/). And their big-money contracts are all their key guys: Rogers, Bakhtiari, Zadarius & Preston Smith, Kenny Clark. Other than Randall Cobb (6.8M savings), Billy Turner (3.1) and Marcedes Lewis (2.4) there's not a lot of low-hanging fruit they can use to create cap room. The Smiths are in the last years of their contracts, so converting salary to signing bonus and extending them both can save about 27M in cap room. Cutting or trading Rogers (per prior rumors) would save another 19M. But even doing all that only saves them 50M or so in total, and with Rogers gone does Adams stay? They don't really have the cap room to keep Davante, or franchise him, without some major cap gamesmanship, and he's been frustrated with that FO, too - there's a very real chance he's gone.  

 

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I would’ve agreed with this about 2 months ago but not now.

Our run defense, and especially right up the gut to my surprise, was garbage.

I’m not giving this dude $6-8 million a year when he clearly isn’t a fit in this scheme.

You’re already paying JFM, so shift him back inside and line him up next to Q where he’s best suited anyways. Dollars to donuts the Jets are drafting an edgerusher either at #4 or #10, and this entire scheme revolves around getting pressure with your front 4. Foley provides zero.

Lawson, Williams, JFM, and a guy like Karlaftis is a nice front that should be able to apply pressure from inside and out.

Let Foley walk and get a nice deal as a 3-4 NT from a team that can utilize his skillset. I wish him the best of luck.

This is exactly my thinking on Fatukasi. We've got too many other DL who we are either already paying (JFM, Lawson) or will soon need to pay (Q) to pay Fatukasi what he can get from another team, especially when he's not really a scheme fit. Great guy, will do great for whoever signs him, and in a world with no salary cap I'd pay him to stay. But in this universe, we wave goodbye.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

 

Here's the thing about "Davante isn't hitting FA" - GB is currently $40M over the projected 2022 cap (https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/). And their big-money contracts are all their key guys: Rogers, Bakhtiari, Zadarius & Preston Smith, Kenny Clark. Other than Randall Cobb (6.8M savings), Billy Turner (3.1) and Marcedes Lewis (2.4) there's not a lot of low-hanging fruit they can use to create cap room. The Smiths are in the last years of their contracts, so converting salary to signing bonus and extending them both can save about 27M in cap room. Cutting or trading Rogers (per prior rumors) would save another 19M. But even doing all that only saves them 50M or so in total, and with Rogers gone does Adams stay? They don't really have the cap room to keep Davante, or franchise him, without some major cap gamesmanship, and he's been frustrated with that FO, too - there's a very real chance he's gone.  

 

This is exactly my thinking on Fatukasi. We've got too many other DL who we are either already paying (JFM, Lawson) or will soon need to pay (Q) to pay Fatukasi what he can get from another team, especially when he's not really a scheme fit. Great guy, will do great for whoever signs him, and in a world with no salary cap I'd pay him to stay. But in this universe, we wave goodbye.

He isn't going to stay of Rodgers is leaving.  I think it all comes down to what he values winning or money. The Jets would have to massively overpay and nothing about Douglas says he's going to do that. He's 29 and has a short window left in his prime, This team is not a WR away from a championship. Can we please learn from past mistakes yet? Let's not throw around insane money to guys who are mailing it in for a payday for the love God, No more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems to be that the impact players at edge and LB need to be drafted, but we can find CB and S in FA.  So signing CB so we can draft LB, RB and TE in rds 2 and 3 sounds looks like a good plan.  
 

Good trench guys tend to be better drafted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This is, of course, a critical thread, since what I think should happen will obviously determine the fate of the Jets for the next few years. So let's get to it.

1) Give all the money to Davante Adams. (Backup plan: If Adams won't take it from us, give slightly less than all the money to Chris Godwin)

Davante Adams is simply not coming here. Isnt Godwin the guy who just had surgery a week ago?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like the idea of aggressively going after a top WR. I hate the idea of yet another first round OL, and will continue to feel that way for the next four months. Edge is an absolute necessity. WR and TE are the primary holes on offense that need to be addressed, and I’d like to see the both addressed in both free agency and the draft (one surer thing, and one swing). 
 
The one thing I took from the end of the season press conference was the way JD seemed to light up a bit when (I believe) Conner Hughes asked about the possibility of trading draft assets for a proven vet. He was very excited about the flexibility that they have and, just from his reaction, I would venture to guess that that has already been discussed internally. Does that mean an interest in Ridley? I don’t know. I do know that JD has glowingly spoken openly about the way the Bills have been built, and that the Bills signature move was probably trading for Diggs. No move did more for Josh Allen’s improbable development. Zach Wilson needs some surefire weapons, too. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Avoid drafting/signing/extending players with any kind of injury history. That crap has got to end. 

Avoid signing any player to a big free agent contract or extension who will then stop caring and playing hard.  We've seen too much of that, a la Trumaine Johnson, etc.

So, avoid Scherff, for example, no matter how good he is.

I know this is all easier said than done.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the plan but I just really cant imagine a high-end FA WR coming to the Jets, especially not Davante Adams or Chris Godwin for that matter.   I know money talks but just cant see it at all - Brady/Rodger to Zach Wilson?  lmfao.  0% chance IMO.  Maybe a guy like Allen Robinson would come for money but I dont know, just dont see it happening.  That said, bringing back Berrios is a must and I think they need to target a WR in the draft at #10 overall. 

My #1 offseason wish?  Dalton Schultz.  He's exactly what this offense needs.  He can be our Kittle in this offense.  Great blocker in both run and pass pro, great route runner, incredible hands and catch radius.  He could be a young QB's best friend in this offense.  Njoku and Gesicki would be nice consolation prize, but neither are as dynamic and a true 3 down TE's like Schultz.

Draft?  Too early.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slats said:

I really like the idea of aggressively going after a top WR. I hate the idea of yet another first round OL, and will continue to feel that way for the next four months. Edge is an absolute necessity. WR and TE are the primary holes on offense that need to be addressed, and I’d like to see the both addressed in both free agency and the draft (one surer thing, and one swing). 
 
The one thing I took from the end of the season press conference was the way JD seemed to light up a bit when (I believe) Conner Hughes asked about the possibility of trading draft assets for a proven vet. He was very excited about the flexibility that they have and, just from his reaction, I would venture to guess that that has already been discussed internally. Does that mean an interest in Ridley? I don’t know. I do know that JD has glowingly spoken openly about the way the Bills have been built, and that the Bills signature move was probably trading for Diggs. No move did more for Josh Allen’s improbable development. Zach Wilson needs some surefire weapons, too. 

If Becton were a surer thing I would too. But given the questionmarks, and the potential black hole at RG, I'd rather throw money at a vet WR and draft OL early than the reverse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

devante adams wouldn't even side glance a NYJ offer.  Godwin would've fit perfectly but his ACL tore in December and he won't be fulled healed for a year and will take even longer to get full explosion back, if it ever comes back. 

I'd rather have him or Robinson rather than trading assets for Ridley and his mental health issues.

Sign Njoku or Schultz and get that Guard from Dallas who is a perfect fit in a zone blocking scheme.

Fill some holes in FA going into the draft.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the plan. 

I think they don't just need a #1WR.  They need a horse.  Everybody thinks they need a TE to be Kittle, but I don't think so.  I think they need a true #1, but it WR or TE that can be a target hog.  There is some precedence for that with Kyle Shanahan's offenses, really feeding targets to a guy. I agree Adams is probably a pipe dream, but I'd sure give a look to him or Godwin.  Robinson used to be considered impervious to bad QBs - who were the best he had?  Trubisky?  Bortles?  I would kind of feel bad  in, but Hopkins and Diggs being like that is probably part of the reason they were paid..  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

Avoid drafting/signing/extending players with any kind of injury history. That crap has got to end. 

Avoid signing any player to a big free agent contract or extension who will then stop caring and playing hard.  We've seen too much of that, a la Trumaine Johnson, etc.

So, avoid Scherff, for example, no matter how good he is.

I know this is all easier said than done.

 

Isn't that why we passed on Munoz? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

If Becton were a surer thing I would too. But given the questionmarks, and the potential black hole at RG, I'd rather throw money at a vet WR and draft OL early than the reverse.

The only way I’m on board with yet another first round pick spent on the OL is if they’re done with Becton. If they’re not done, if they plan to start him on either side, then no. No first round OL. It’s not necessary, and is far down the list when it comes to team needs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I love the plan but I just really cant imagine a high-end FA WR coming to the Jets, especially not Davante Adams or Chris Godwin for that matter.   I know money talks but just cant see it at all - Brady/Rodger to Zach Wilson?  lmfao.  0% chance IMO.  Maybe a guy like Allen Robinson would come for money but I dont know, just dont see it happening.  That said, bringing back Berrios is a must and I think they need to target a WR in the draft at #10 overall. 

My #1 offseason wish?  Dalton Schultz.  He's exactly what this offense needs.  He can be our Kittle in this offense.  Great blocker in both run and pass pro, great route runner, incredible hands and catch radius.  He could be a young QB's best friend in this offense.  Njoku and Gesicki would be nice consolation prize, but neither are as dynamic and a true 3 down TE's like Schultz.

Draft?  Too early.

If we can't land a high-end FA WR, sure, splurge for Schultz at TE. But if we can get a top-tier WR, we don't need to get Schultz as our TE who we would hope would be our No. 3 target (after WR1 and Moore) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...