Unsurprisingly, Jets led the league in cap $$$$ tied up on IR

Its totally baffling to me. 

There have been so many fn injuries to the Jets over the past two years its hard to say its purely coincidental. I'd love to see the stats on how likely a player is to suffer a range of injuries - and then plug in the Jets injuries and see how improbable it is for it to just be random. My guess is we're dealing in the 3+ standard deviation world (or less than 1%). 

That usually points to this not being completely random. But if you factor in the injuries that are related to turf - they all happened away from Met Life/Florham Park. 

I wonder how much minor injury history has to do with these? Guys like Lawson, Becton, Maye, and even Corey Davis to a lesser degree have all ranged from consistently minor injuries (Becton & Lawson) to occasional major injuries (Maye and Davis). If there is some way to calculate past injury history to likelihood of future injuries - my hope is the nerds in the analytics department are working on this before free agency and the draft. It also means some players in the draft (Drake London, Jameson Williams, and Stingley off the top of my head) should be dropped significantly based on this perceived risk. 

My guess is the injuries themselves are random - but maybe Joe D has not put enough emphasis on injury history when selecting players. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Has to be. Losing culture. Becton being on IR is a perfect example.

I don't think this is fair. I've been dumping on Becton as much as the next guy - but last year we were all screaming at Gase for putting him back in to the Denver game. His knee was dislocated and he is a big fat fatty. I think thats way more likely the reason he missed time than him milking an injury. 

Also maybe Jets players are so down on the team that they'd rather hang in the rehab room. But the majority of the time spent on IR for Jets players is due to big injuries like achilles tears... and well... I don't care if you're on the 72 dolphins you aren't coming back from that. 

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Has ANYONE looked into the field at the stadium?  Are the Giants having issues with this?  

If the Giants are NOT having an issue, then they may want to look at medical staff, trainers, nutritionists, etc.... because this has been a problem for at least five years now with the team. 

Giants certainly have had their share, but I assume the Jets are worse.  I'm not sure how much it matters.  Different practice facilities and I think the bulk of the injuries occur in practice or during the week. 

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Giants certainly have had their share, but I assume the Jets are worse.  I'm not sure how much it matters.  Different practice facilities and I think the bulk of the injuries occur in practice or during the week. 

IF they are happening during practice more, then perhaps the turf is an issue.  

3 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

How many times do the Johnsons need to be told the turf is trash?....

You'd think they wouldn't want that turf monster eating all their money.

Do you remember the time the Patriots lost a game on terrible field conditions at Foxboro and Kraft had it all torn out and replaced the next week? Woody is still here picking his ass while his players are all injured year in and year out because all he gives a F about is his asset performing well.

The tale of two owners in a nutshell.