Zach Wilson - "Different QB the 2nd Half of the Year"

Warfish

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, the biggest change in the second half is that he protected the ball. "Not throwing picks" was clearly his number one priority which is not only why his INTs went down but largely a big factor in why his YPA went down and sacks went up. Not making the critical mistake was a priority, the coaching staff clearly wanted him to take what was there and play within the system.

I think this is accurate, in terms of coaching priorities, I agree.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

So the resident wet towel worked on yet another “how can i ruin peoples day and argue with them to death” post.

Sorry you feel that way.

I have no plan to argue anything, the stats are the stats.   Good catch on the rushing TD's I did miss that, and it has been added.

I present them to allow others to state their analysis and opinions.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

So the resident wet towel worked on yet another “how can i ruin peoples day and argue with them to death” post. Nice sleuthing comrade....

In the second half of the season he showed great improvement by his decision making. That translated into a ridiculously low amount of ints and some great runs when needed. Your stats conveniently fails to disclose the rushing tds and the several clutch 3rd down conversions he made. Im sure it was an oversight?

This year made me rethink my value in stats vs the eye test. There were two late games where zach did a great job but i was shocked when i read his digits. It was hard explaining to posters that didnt watch these games why zach was good.

So the eye test is a big deal especially on a team with no weapons

Ouch.

Good post with a lot of research. Definitely an insightful and enjoyable read. 

One thing is that I think you should add rushing touchdowns as they're very important to his overall production. You already listed his fumbles too so I think it fits within the overall post.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

I wonder what his completion percentage would’ve been accounting for all the catchable dropped balls that our receivers didn’t help him with, 

That's a good question as well.  I didn't have access to a good source for total drops/game, and even that is made harder by the fact that Zach played a partial game in that first half (so we'd have to split drops while he was in vs. drops after the injury).

Some stats are indeed hard to find in a relatively easily presentable way, but drop analysis would be useful as well.  

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He needs to have a great off-season and show us a lot more week 16/17 Zach than the rest of the season Zach.

If he doesn't, whispers of Geno Smith will begin to creep in.  Geno Smith ALWAYS looked great week 15/16.  Then the next season started and he was well below average between weeks 1-14.

He appeared much more comfortable running the offense in the latter portion of the season.  Other than the Buffalo game (due to weather and lack of support), he was much better at extending drives with third down completions.  No interceptions in his last five games and he also used his physical ability much more to his advantage.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Warfish said:

That's a good question as well.  I didn't have access to a good source for total drops/game, and even that is made harder by the fact that Zach played a partial game in that first half (so we'd have to split drops while he was in vs. drops after the injury).

Some stats are in deed hard to find in a relatively easily presentable way, but drop analysis would be useful as well.  

I know I can personally remember 5 drops and 2 or 3 turned into interceptions so that would add a little to the completion percentage and drop the interceptions down, I’d like to see what the kid could do with 2 viable weapons on offense and more then 1 second to throw the ball 

thanks for putting that together 

• Upvote 2

The ball protection was the biggest change along with the fact that he wasn't being as aggressive as he was earlier in the season. Hell, the play he got hurt on he threw a bomb into the end zone that set the Jets up on the 1 yard line due to PI on the Patriots.

Next year I want to see more of a split. I want him to protect the ball, use his check downs, but not be afraid to air it out. 

I don't want to complain about injuries but I do think that played some part in his lack of aggressiveness. He lost both Elijah Moore and Corey Davis after the Eagles game. 

Lots of games for Zach this year turned into a tale of two halves. Tennessee he played really well in the second half, the Eagles, and Dolphins games he played really well in the first half. 

He needs to start putting together complete games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I think this is a very fair take.

Running the offense and looking the part matter more to me than non-contextual stats on a page.

Let's figure in drops and throw aways and the numbers will look much better.  

He stopped dirting balls and stopped missing wide open guys 5 yards in front of him.  Nothing to write home about but it that was my biggest issue with him early on--I couldn't figure out why he was doing that.  But he figured it out.  

I feel like part of him darting them or over throwing them high was his inability to see over the monsters on the line, seems like he is super accurate outside the pocket as most quarterbacks not named Brady are 

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

If he doesn't, whispers of Geno Smith will begin to creep in.  Geno Smith ALWAYS looked great week 15/16.  Then the next season started and he was well below average between weeks 1-14.

The last month of Sam Darnolds rookie season was easily top 10 QB in the league. 

I don't get excited about a few games.  Show me over the course of the entire season.  I'm not encouraged by a good game or two from Zach Wilson.  Only thing that will encourage me is seeing it next year starting from the beginning of the season.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The ball protection was the biggest change along with the fact that he wasn't being as aggressive as he was earlier in the season. Hell, the play he got hurt on he threw a bomb into the end zone that set the Jets up on the 1 yard line due to PI on the Patriots.

Next year I want to see more of a split. I want him to protect the ball, use his check downs, but not be afraid to air it out. 

I don't want to complain about injuries but I do think that played some part in his lack of aggressiveness. He lost both Elijah Moore and Corey Davis after the Eagles game. 

If Corey Davis figures out where the stickum is and catches some of those early drops perhaps Zach doesn't bug out as much and yip out for half the year?  If he could have gotten confidence early things could have gone much better, but they didn't and he didn't, so it didn't.  Def need to address WR and TE next year.

• Upvote 1

The biggest change IMO was just the game slowing down and how comfortable he looked on the field compared to his first 6 games...not turning the ball over is a bit overrated like 5 of them were dropped and he was clearly being protected so we will learn more next year when the offense is opened up.   I certainly feel better about his future tho the first 6 games were a dumpster fire. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I respect the effort.

But it was the Bucs game.

None of us expected that to happen and I think that offered the most encouragement. That's a good defense, we were down more than a few starters on offense and Wilson played really well. 

OMG!! It’s the Rose Bowl all over again! Wont get fooled again  I tell you. I’ll show myself out. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yep, High Pitch rightfully called that miss out.  I've added it in, it was an impressive 4 in the 2nd half to 0 in that first half.

Good posts.  The stats tell lots and it’s easy to see why some think it’s the road to another bust. 

I saw the season as classic progress -  improvement in one area slipping in another.  Frustration for many even though great things are happening.  

I think he can still become a top QB but there is work to go.  Good game manager for a stretch would be a good sign if they don’t want to loosen the leash until they see it.  When he’s comfortable and seeing it all then the playmaker will come back out.   

His coachability might be his best trait.  The progress and pains are definitely part of a measured approach to progress.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I may be alone here, and maybe I'm wrong, but if you don't score TDs, or at least move the ball effectively, I don't care that you don't throw INTs.  You're not effective.  Brett Favre turned the ball over a ton, but he was also highly effective.  Obviously we want to limit the turnovers, but "he didn't turn the ball over" isn't that laudable when he largely didn't do much of anything.

That's why the Manning comparison re: turnovers was always so cartoonish.  Yes, Manning threw a lot of INTs his rookie year.  He also threw 17 more TDs and 1400 more yards than Wilson.  There's about a 50 yard difference in YPG as well.

I think coaches are working on things and playing the long game.

Zach’s at his best throwing down field.  There are stats that show he’s already near the top of the NFL on deep accuracy. 

They still see Aaron Rodgers type play as the goal in the long run.  Pre injury they tried to get it all at once.  They went to a “learn this and we will add to it” approach after the injury and it’s working.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1