The Jets need to move on from MetLife.

johnnyjet

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

It’s a no brainer. The Jets dominate the Queens and Long Island area. How about putting the team in the heart of its fanbase rather than making us travel 2-3 hours both way to get to a game?

Imagine what a stadium there would look like, we might even have a home field advantage! Just look at how it gets at Islander games

I'm not even from LI, but I agree completely... Ever since they left for Giant's Stadium, then MetLife the heart and sole of this team has been lost. Florham Park could still be the home of training camp to appease NJ fans.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

I'm not even from LI, but I agree completely... Ever since they left for Giant's Stadium, then MetLife the heart and sole of this team has been lost. Florham Park could still be the home of training camp to appease NJ fans.

I dont see LI as a viable spot anymore. Maybe the last go around...but now now. The Jets moved everything out of there for a reason. Jersey is a better spot for the team as bad as the stadium is. Perhaps the Yonkers Raceway site could be revisited.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The west side stadium over the rail yards would have launched the Jets into the stratosphere.  Their own stadium for once.  They would own NYC.  Retractable roof, grass field, cool architecture over the railyards so tons of mass transit from everywhere.  The past 20 years would have been like a series of neverending orgasms.  But, Woody really didn't want to spend all that money, his own money, and we weren't gonna agree to anything where the public paid for it.  So...MetLife.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

I mean, a ton of people drive into Manhattan for their jobs, 5 days a week, so, I don't know why this would be different?

I guess that's true but I would still think the great majority of people that would go to the WSS (if it existed) would take public transportation

2 hours ago, sciond said:

I don't see Woody making the investment as i don't the ROI would be great

Depends. If you can make it a 365 day a year type venue and factoring in that the other owners would chip in about $500 million it could be a better long term proposition than it seems.

Just the naming rights alone could cover 1/3 of the investment Woody would need to make.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

It would be nicknamed JetLife in a heartbeat if they actually won some damn games!

winning cures all… the stadium holds a ton of people and is easy to get to from anywhere in the TriState… the team is the problem not the stadium

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Jets have never had their own stadium...really sucks when you think about it.  Those days at Shea playing on the infield was a joke.  Could have had a really nice place on the west side but that A-hole Silver killed it.

I honestly can't think of a team in the NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA other than the Jets who have never had their own stadium.  

35 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I honestly can't think of a team in the NFL, MLB, NHL, or NBA other than the Jets who have never had their own stadium.  

The Lakers and Clippers share an arena. The Chargers and Rams share a stadium.  Also the Jets and Giants are equal partners so I just named five other professional teams that share a stadium.

3 hours ago, doitny said:

honestly i would love to see the stats on how many players get injured there? i think that field has alot to do with our injury problems. and maybe look at Florham park too

Yeah it might be the scouting department more than the field itself. 

If you know anything about Woody, he despises Queens...considers it down market and cheesy...The Johnsons are based in NJ...Woody had to make several compromises to get Mara/Tisch onboard financially with MetLife..the big one being he wanted a retractable roof stadium but the dope Mara wouldn't sign on...he's stuck in the old school cold weather playoff game advantage thing that his father was a devotee of which is why the original Giants stadium didn't have a roof...Parcells and others confirmed that even when the state of NJ wanted to put a dome on it in order to host Super Bowls and other events year round..the Maras fought it.. that's why MetLife is a ghastly place...too many compromises. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Depends. If you can make it a 365 day a year type venue and factoring in that the other owners would chip in about $500 million it could be a better long term proposition than it seems.

Just the naming rights alone could cover 1/3 of the investment Woody would need to make.

What other owner do you see pissing away $500 M on a jets stadium?  There’s no financial scenario that comes close to making sense.

4 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

LOL - Does opting out get Woody any of his money back? Then he has to buy property and build a new Stadium? Why should Woody spend all that money just to have his 'own' stadium? 

Hahaha taxpayers always foot the bill 

I always thought it makes a lot a sense for Jets and Giants to share a stadium. Why build an extra 2 billion building for only 8 home dates. As for Met Life being terrible what’s wrong with it. It’s modern comfortable and has all of the amenities. And there’s a train station on site. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

Yeah it might be the scouting department more than the field itself. 

not just talking about us. im talking about anyone whos played on that field.

Giants, there opponents, us and our opponents. 

i cant remember the game but i seen somewhere the fans of the other team complaining cause they had some injuries on the field and they made comments like maybe there was something with our field. like they didnt see so many on field injuries in one game.

just something that stuck in my mind and made me wonder. it would probably be to hard for me to find out how many our stadium has compared to others.

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

The area does not need another huge stadium.  A 70-80K person venue on Long Island would be a disaster.

The WSS would have been an interesting novelty, but ultimately, it's better that that failed.

I think you'll start to see NFL stadiums shrink in size so they look more packed and take up a smaller footprint. The NFL product on TV is easily the best in sports. 

Personally I don't want a new stadium due to selfish reasons, I live in NJ and would hate going through the city for a game.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think you'll start to see NFL stadiums shrink in size so they look more packed and take up a smaller footprint. The NFL product on TV is easily the best in sports. 

Personally I don't want a new stadium due to selfish reasons, I live in NJ and would hate going through the city for a game.

I don't see how that makes any sense at all.  They're going to cut capacity for TV aesthetics?  So, 1/3 less ticket sales for the occasional wide shot w/ a graphic over it?  Seems like a losing idea.  Additionally, these NFL stadiums are only NFL stadiums 10 days a year - a drop in the bucket.  The rest of the time they are mega event spaces - concerts, monster trucks, etc.  That's why I say LI getting one doesn't make sense.  You don't need two mega-venues that close to each other.  Especially when you've already got 2 baseball stadiums, and three arenas in addition to Metlife, all within 30 minutes of each other.  That's why Dolan fought the WSS - competition for the Garden, no?  But, I still don't see a path to saying, let me sell less tickets.

12 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I don't see how that makes any sense at all.  They're going to cut capacity for TV aesthetics?  So, 1/3 less ticket sales for the occasional wide shot w/ a graphic over it?  Seems like a losing idea.  Additionally, these NFL stadiums are only NFL stadiums 10 days a year - a drop in the bucket.  The rest of the time they are mega event spaces - concerts, monster trucks, etc.  That's why I say LI getting one doesn't make sense.  You don't need two mega-venues that close to each other.  Especially when you've already got 2 baseball stadiums, and three arenas in addition to Metlife, all within 30 minutes of each other.  That's why Dolan fought the WSS - competition for the Garden, no?  But, I still don't see a path to saying, let me sell less tickets.

You won't see any new ones that are Big House sized or Penn State sized huge.  Just like MLB went from 65,000 person to 45,000 seat stadiums when they built all these new ones over the last 20 years to make them look cooler.  They don't want places to look stupid and bland like MetLife.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Well, the Giants don't really have their own either...they had Yankee Stadium for years and have shared the Meadowlands and MetLife with us.