The Jets need to move on from MetLife.

johnnyjet

I am so sick of this team. This team has zero identity. No form of home field advantage. That stadium needs to be burned to the ground. 

We cannot even get our own damn logo in the middle of the field. We do not have our own stadium and it’s mind boggling. Literally breaks my heart. If there’s anything we can do as fans to show that dumb **** of an owner that we need a new stadium in NY, sign me up. I do not want anything part of NJ. It’s embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Well, the Giants don't really have their own either...they had Yankee Stadium for years and have shared the Meadowlands and MetLife with us.

It was called Giants Stadium and they played there for a good 8 years before the Jets moved in . They absolutely had their own stadium. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Lakers and Clippers share an arena. The Chargers and Rams share a stadium.  Also the Jets and Giants are equal partners so I just named five other professional teams that share a stadium.

I’m talking about ever.  Those teams share stadiums now, but at one point had their own stadiums. Name one that has never had their own stadium. 

9 hours ago, doitny said:

honestly i would love to see the stats on how many players get injured there? i think that field has alot to do with our injury problems. and maybe look at Florham park too

It's been posted in another thread that more of our injuries have happened during away games.

If the field was the issue surely the Giants would have the same problem?

6 minutes ago, Jets1958 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3d8fcaed68dfab55cf3b64b18d017d3a.jpeg
the Giants have injury problems 

Thanks for this. Tough to know sometimes whether things are fact or perception. 

Interesting too that before the last week we were 28th and NYG were 27th. I'd not be too worried about the last week as we probably "shut down" some players that would have suited up if the game was relevant to playoffs etc.

14 hours ago, ZachEY said:

The area does not need another huge stadium.  A 70-80K person venue on Long Island would be a disaster.

The WSS would have been an interesting novelty, but ultimately, it's better that that failed.

Personally, I loved the idea of a WSS. It would’ve been a unique home-field advantage, open at one end with the imposing Empire State building facing opponents, reminding them that they are in the center of the universe. Sure, things would’ve changed a lot, limited or no tailgating, getting to the stadium by train or other means for games, etc. But I loved the idea. Maybe that’s just me.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think you'll start to see NFL stadiums shrink in size so they look more packed and take up a smaller footprint. The NFL product on TV is easily the best in sports. 

Personally I don't want a new stadium due to selfish reasons, I live in NJ and would hate going through the city for a game.

Exactly - an awesome 52,000 person stadium with a ton of bars/restaurants inside, fan experience stuff for kids etc will keep the stadium filled.  Its not 1992 when every fan between the ages of 15-60 wanted to be at the games, you need to give them a reason to leave the house for 6+ hours on a sunday when everyone has a 60 inch TV, redzone channel, gambling on their phone and a grill steps away.

6 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

It was called Giants Stadium and they played there for a good 8 years before the Jets moved in . They absolutely had their own stadium. 

And it wasnt their stadium.  It was owned by the state of NJ and they leased it just like we did

Both teams equally share MetLife.  They own it. Ever hear a Giants fan moan that they dont have their own stadium, their own identity their own home field advantage?  I never have.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And it wasnt their stadium.  It was owned by the state of NJ and they leased it just like we did

Both teams equally share MetLife.  They own it. Ever hear a Giants fan moan that they dont have their own stadium, their own identity their own home field advantage?  I never have.  

Dude ... the stadium had humungous lit signage that actually said "GIANTS STADIUM" on it.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

While I dont think it will happen it absolutely should happen.

I find myself asking if there is a worse stadium in the NFL while this stadium was built just a short time ago.  

It is a shame that NY has been surpassed by so many other teams when NY should be the shining beacon of what the best stadium in pro sports should be imo.  

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Dude ... the stadium had humungous lit signage that actually said "GIANTS STADIUM" on it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Who cares, that was the deal they made with he state of NJ, the stadium had to be called Giants stadium.  But it wasnt theirs, it was owned and operated by the state with the Giants paying to play games.  It wasnt anymore their stadium than Yankee stadium was theirs when they played their for years or the Polo Grounds before that.

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I believe the NJ sports and Exposition authority owned the original stadium and agreed to put the Giants name on it since it was built for them to play in NJ. 

The Giants wanted an updated facility, luxury boxes etc. and the state basically told them we have no money. At that time, there was alot of financial scrutiny on the sports and exposition authority and their books were under review.

The Giants and Jets agreed to build the new facility and have PSL's fund the majority. Forgetting about who's stadium it is for a minute, financially for the owners, it was the right decision.  

I have stated that I really don't care about stadium rights etc. although if the new stadium retained the name Giants stadium that would bother me.

Let's say the Jets are hosting a playoff game this weekend. How many posts would we see either saying I am not going to the game or we have no shot because it is not our sole stadium?

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who cares, that was the deal they made with he state of NJ, the stadium had to be called Giants stadium.  But it wasnt theirs, it was owned and operated by the state with the Giants paying to play games.  It wasnt anymore their stadium than Yankee stadium was theirs when they played their for years or the Polo Grounds before that.

FInancials don't matter at all .. its all about optics ... the team (Giants) felt like its was THEIR stadium ... and so did the public.

The Jets were the Theon Greyjoy of the NFL and Giants Stadium was their Winterfell.

Edited by Dunnie

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

FInancials don't matter at all .. its all about optics ... the team (Giants) felt like its was THEIR stadium ... and so did the public.

The Jets were the Theon Greyjoy of the NFL and Giants Stadium was their Winterfell.

Whats it been 11 years owning half a stadium now?  A Stadium we own equally with the Giants.  Giants fans fell like theyre playing in their own stadium

Jets fans continue to argue that they dont have their own stadium.  After 11 years at their own stadium  on Sundays.  Id love to pull up to Jets Stadium, which would never happen it would have a corp name on it and would make things no better than at a shared stadium.  The Jets and Giants got almost a $2B stadium for $1B.  A stadium that would only be used 10 times a year, if owned by one team.  Makes no financial sense to build 2 stadiums, doubling the costs to each of the teams.  No one gives a shlt outside of some Jets fans.  

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Whats it been 11 years owning half a stadium now?  A Stadium we own equally with the Giants.  Giants fans fell like theyre playing in their own stadium

Jets fans continue to argue that they dont have their own stadium.  After 11 years at their own stadium  on Sundays.  Id love to pull up to Jets Stadium, which would never happen it would have a corp name on it and would make things no better than at a shared stadium.  The Jets and Giants got almost a $2B stadium for $1B.  A stadium that would only be used 10 times a year, if owned by one team.  Makes no financial sense to build 2 stadiums, doubling the costs to each of the teams.  No one gives a shlt outside of some Jets fans.  

THere is only one reason that air conditioner cost $2B ... Corruption ... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-show_job

Have you seen this ...

VC_SoFi-Stadium_gty-1228277891-RM-1280x6

Edited by Dunnie

15 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

Contractually they Jets can opt out of the dump in 2025. They need to get back to queens/Long Island.  I think the perfect location would be right next to citi field.  I know it’s a pipe dream. But it needs to be done 

Hypothetically, say they opt out after 2025.

They sold tens of thousands of PSLs.   Would they have to refund a % of all those sold?   

Queens is not happening.  It’s just not accessible enough for the NFL.  MetLife is right in the heart of the NE/I85 Corridor.  Easily accessible from Boston, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Upstate, etc.  It’s a great location for traveling fans. 

I do think that the NFL may approach the Johnsons, or maybe they already have, about opting out in 2025. Possibly a London move, with some financial compensation from the league.     

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Hypothetically, say they opt out after 2025.

They sold tens of thousands of PSLs.   Would they have to refund a % of all those sold?   

good question .. i think the buyer is sh*t out of luck if they move. SAR ?

Edited by Dunnie

30 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Personally, I loved the idea of a WSS. It would’ve been a unique home-field advantage, open at one end with the imposing Empire State building facing opponents, reminding them that they are in the center of the universe. Sure, things would’ve changed a lot, limited or no tailgating, getting to the stadium by train or other means for games, etc. But I loved the idea. Maybe that’s just me.

You’re in Arizona, right?  Of course it would be awesome for you for all the things you mentioned, and the associated costs and hassle for once a year or every other year you make a game (assuming, obviously) would be no huge deal - and it would look great on TV.

But you wouldn’t regularly deal with $100 parking and the traffic, or the multiple modes public of transportation that would be overloaded and slow.  You wouldn’t regularly deal with the lack of tailgating, with the only option being  $12 beers and $18 burgers anywhere close to the stadium.  You wouldn’t deal with long lines and increased security.  You wouldn’t pay 2.5-3X for tickets, forget the PSLs!  You wouldn’t pay 1.5-2X for concessions.  This isn’t even a comprehensive list.

Jets games would be attended by the wealthy, and tourists, exclusively.  Woody would be skewered for not selling Manhattan real estate at East Rutherford prices.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

THere is only one reason that air conditioner cost $2B ... Corruption ... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-show_job

Have you seen this ...

VC_SoFi-Stadium_gty-1228277891-RM-1280x6

Beautiful stadium no doubt.  Now how much does that cost in NJ?

4 - 5 Billion?

So double or triple the current PSL cost. Add at least 25% to the current ticket prices. 

And when all is said and done, the performance of the team has not changed one bit - if anything owners might actually spend less on the team as operating costs for that stadium I'm sure far exceed what we currently have.

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

You’re in Arizona, right?  Of course it would be awesome for you for all the things you mentioned, and the associated costs and hassle for once a year or every other year you make a game (assuming, obviously) would be no huge deal - and it would look great on TV.

But you wouldn’t regularly deal with $100 parking and the traffic, or the multiple modes public of transportation that would be overloaded and slow.  You wouldn’t regularly deal with the lack of tailgating, with the only option being  $12 beers and $18 burgers anywhere close to the stadium.  You wouldn’t deal with long lines and increased security.  You wouldn’t pay 2.5-3X for tickets, forget the PSLs!  You wouldn’t pay 1.5-2X for concessions.  This isn’t even a comprehensive list.

Jets games would be attended by the wealthy, and tourists, exclusively.  Woody would be skewered for not selling Manhattan real estate at East Rutherford prices.

Cmon ... I have worked in manhattan for the past 25 years ... the reality is politics squashed this deal ... nothing else. It was approved before silver just stomped it out.   As far as parking ... there would be NO parking.  Tailgates would have been in jersey or around manhattan bars.  But that would not have made it any less amazing.   That stadium would have catapulted the Jets as a destination event.... like SoFi.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Beautiful stadium no doubt.  Now how much does that cost in NJ?

4 - 5 Billion?

So double or triple the current PSL cost. Add at least 25% to the current ticket prices. 

And when all is said and done, the performance of the team has not changed one bit - if anything owners might actually spend less on the team as operating costs for that stadium I'm sure far exceed what we currently have.

please adjust the cost of MetLife with Inflation.

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

good question .. i think the buyer is sh*t out of luck if they move.

I believe that is the case as well. PSL's are simply the right to purchase the same seat on an annual basis. If they opt out and move somewhere else, I believe the process starts all over again. Basically what happened in 2010.

7 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I could be wrong but the prices at MetLife and MSG are in line. Most stadium experiences you’re getting a 11-$12 beer and  6 bucks for a hot dog.

I really wish WSS happened but it didn't and I'm over it. Woody took his shot and proved he's no mover and shaker businessman (obviously).

My only thing is if we are sharing a stadium and cutting the cost + expenses...how do we NOT have an amazing stadium to share?

I get it, NY, construction costs, unions bla bla bla...come on, give both teams an amazing stadium at least.

• Post of the Week 2

11 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Lakers and Clippers share an arena. The Chargers and Rams share a stadium.  Also the Jets and Giants are equal partners so I just named five other professional teams that share a stadium.

I would add that it is not just about sharing a stadium but more location. Met Life Stadium happens to be located in such barren landscape of NJ. In the parking lot it looks as if you are on an island in the middle of swamp land with seemingly little example of human life surrounding you as far as the eye can see. There is just no feel to it. Because the land is so open the wind is often unbearable. It just adds to a negative game day experience. If you think that doesn't play a role in wins and losses you are mistaken. I would not set foot in Met Life Stadium with free parking and tickets. Just an awful atmosphere and experience. It's part of why fans dont show up and/or leave early

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I really wish WSS happened but it didn't and I'm over it. Woody took his shot and proved he's no mover and shaker businessman (obviously).

My only thing is if we are sharing a stadium and cutting the cost + expenses...how do we NOT have an amazing stadium to share?

I get it, NY, construction costs, unions bla bla bla...come on, give both teams an amazing stadium at least.

While I am not pretending to have any type of factual info, i do believe some or most of this is accurate. The Sports and exposition authority was in control of the original stadium and the new mall they were building on the property. My assumption is they hired the same architecture firm that was designing the mall for the new stadium. It is Jersey so you have to factor in corruption, kickbacks etc.

I remember clearly the lead architect for the mall stating she was driving the turnpike to the first meeting and saw all of the shipping containers. That gave her the vision for the design and color scheme of the mall.

It is really no surprise at least to me that the design of the stadium is what we have.