The Jets need to move on from MetLife.

johnnyjet

2 hours ago, BallinPB said:

I live in Rockland County NY and the stadium is a nice 40 minute drive.  It is very accessible from everywhere except probably Long Island and that's the problem since a lot of fans live out there.  

I’d say Jets fans are a lot more spread out now than say 20 years ago. 

Just now, Snell41 said:

This is so confoundedly untrue. Woody was shelling out $300million dollars of his own just to build the platform over the rail yard and create a state of the art rail hub underneath. Woody is a poor owner when it comes to football knowledge but he’s never been cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

100% true.  If not for Sheldon Silver in cahoots with James Dolan, we'd have our own beautiful West Side Stadium. 

A giant brilliant emerald light in the middle of that beautiful skyline.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

100% true.  If not for Sheldon Silver in cahoots with James Dolan, we'd have our own beautiful West Side Stadium. 

A giant brilliant emerald light in the middle of that beautiful skyline.  

$300M isn't a $1.5B and it costs a lot to grease the wheels in this town for something that big to happen.  Obviously Woody went light on the 'grease' and we got MetLife.

13 minutes ago, Origen said:

$300M isn't a $1.5B and it costs a lot to grease the wheels in this town for something that big to happen.  Obviously Woody went light on the 'grease' and we got MetLife.

That was just the start.  There would have been several other levels of financing involved, some public, some private, obviously PSLs.  Nobody pays for it all themselves.  

It fell through because the Silver, the NY Assembly State Speaker, who had veto rights on the Stadium (actually, the land/railyards it was going to be built on), voted against it.  Rumored because he was paid off by Jim Dolan who didn't want competition for the Javits center and MSG for entertainment/expo competition.  

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

That was just the start.  There would have been several other levels of financing involved, some public, some private, obviously PSLs.  Nobody pays for it all themselves.  

It fell through because the Silver, the NY Assembly State Speaker, who had veto rights on the Stadium (actually, the land/railyards it was going to be built on), voted against it.  Rumored because he was paid off by Jim Dolan who didn't want competition for the Javits center and MSG for entertainment/expo competition.  

Silver and Bruno were in Dolan's pocket. It was over before it started.

Jay Cross and Woody never understood this because Cross thought NYC was Miami and Woody is a professional philanthropist.

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2022 at 8:12 AM, Jet Nut said:

And it wasnt their stadium.  It was owned by the state of NJ and they leased it just like we did

Both teams equally share MetLife.  They own it. Ever hear a Giants fan moan that they dont have their own stadium, their own identity their own home field advantage?  I never have.  

The financial arrangment precludes the Jets from leaving MetLife. Readily agree would be way cooler to have their own stadium out by Shea, but math and stuff. And math is hard. 

On 1/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, y2k8 said:

IF Woody ever sells, maybe it would happen - but the Johnson's are never moving.

Not a lot of decent potential locations left for a new owner.

Aqueduct has the room but the Belt Parkway is the only way to get there, and that would be a nightmare. It's already a nightmare.

Maybe if Nassau County decides to knock down the Coliseum, the Hub - but that's probably too small of an area. Maybe with a 50k stadium it could work. But they keep making that land smaller and smaller.

Suffolk County? Not ideal for the tri state.

Belt is the most awful highway any day of the week, at any hour, without a 70k seat football stadium. 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The financial arrangment precludes the Jets from leaving MetLife. Readily agree would be way cooler to have their own stadium out by Shea, but math and stuff. And math is hard. 

I never said they were moving.  I said it makes too much sense financially to share a stadium then to build another one, spend billions more after almost 2 billion was spent on MetLife, one each

On 1/11/2022 at 5:42 PM, Peace Frog said:

Because fans who have zero financial interest in the franchise demand it.

Lol.  Woody took  his shot on the West Side Stadium.  He's done trying to get his own stadium.  

yep.  it's just too darn expensive to build something like that on manhattan or even long island.  maybe if they tried to go to westchester county it could be done.  the current location is horrible.

Yes, a Jets WS Stadium would have been great, but when you see the economic development that took place on that land instead, NYC is better off with Hudson Yards/Manhattan West.  My firm will hopefully move there.  

The Met Life is ridiculous and I have no desire to go there.  I upgraded my TV.  But if the Jets are good, fans will go to the stadium.  The call is to actually take the train there from Penn Station.  

Its just not worth fighting this fight.  Its over.   Let’s see how long they stay there. 

End result is they are not going anywhere. This comes down to money and Woody is making a nice profit even when the team stinks.

NYC is not building him a stadium.

Woody is not taking 5 bil or so out of his pocket (i'm not sure he even is worth that) and building it himself.

If he goes the PSL route to finance, an existing $5,000 PSL seat license becomes $20k or more? It is simply not happening

As for the stadium, if we host a first round playoff game next year (I know - but it is just for effect), the stadium will be full and 90% Jet fans. You will not hear one person say - this stadium is terrible, the stairs are too steep, it looks like an air conditioner.   

• Upvote 2