Joe Judge fired

johnnyjet

The one great thing about not living in NY is that I don’t have to care about the Giants, since they have no actual effect on us, lol.

Firing seemed more than called for. Guess the Giants will now be in Year 1 of another rebuild.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

It was the right move but there’s a long road ahead for them. They’re strapped for cap space and have drafted bad for a while. They’re going to have to commit to the long rebuild - they have no prospects of being good anytime soon

Take our O-Line.  Remove AVT, swap Feeney in for McGovern, and replace Fant with Edoga.  And it would still be better than what the Giants can put on the field.  They have a LOT of work to do.  If they draft a QB, he's going to be in a deep hole.  Basically, they are us last year and need to hit on a QB and OL with those first two picks.  And then, like us, will have almost nothing at WRs or TE.  

Hard to see the appeal to Flores when better teams will be calling.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Flores would be a significant upgrade to Judge, if he gets the job.

But he will have other options - the Bears, for one.

Flores had a guaranteed contract so he may take time off. 

• Upvote 2

Joe Judge has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the New York Giants, the team announced today.

"Steve (Tisch) and I both believe it is in the best interest of our franchise to move in another direction," said team president John Mara. "We met with Joe yesterday afternoon to discuss the state of the team. I met again with Joe this afternoon, and it was during that conversation I informed Joe of our decision. We appreciate Joe's efforts on behalf of the organization.

"I said before the season started that I wanted to feel good about the direction we were headed when we played our last game of the season. Unfortunately, I cannot make that statement, which is why we have made this decision.

"We will hire a general manager and that person will lead the effort to hire a new head coach."

https://www.giants.com/news/joe-judge-relieved-of-duties-as-giants-head-coach

11 minutes ago, Icer said:

NY media going to turn up the heat on JD next year, Judge and Gettleman were taking all the bullets

I don't mind that.  I generally am good with what JD has done so far but this is the offseason he really needs to hit it out of the park.  If he has another 2020 type draft, I'm sure my opinion of him will go downhill quickly.  Otoh, if he hits on a lot of his picks then this team should actually start to win games.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, doitny said:

nooooooooooooooo. he made us look good

True. But look at it this way.

The trail of destruction left in Judge's wake will take time to clean up but first the Giants have to find a GM then they have to find a willing Head Coaching Candidate who has the Ability and the Chops to right the ship. The only three candidates I can think of for Head Coach are Mike Flores, Rex Ryan and and Mike Zimmer. Flores is clearly the premium commodity. But would he really rush into the job. Flores is in a position where he can write his ticket and word on the street is he is in line for the Patriots job when Mumbles retires in a year or two. As to Rex Ryan his abrasive nature became apparent with the Jets and earned him a notorious reputation. In Ryan's case John Mara wouldn't be hiring a GM and Rex Ryan. More like the Giants would be hiring Rex Ryan and a Personnel Man to manage the Scouting Staff that Rex can use as a doormat. Then we get to Mike Zimmer. He is the best of the bunch on the Coaching Carousel. The question that has to been ask of the guys on the pony ride what makes you think that this time will be any better. All of these guys have been given multiple chances and been poop canned in all of them. So no matter how you look at it the Giants will have to blow it up and start over. That should give the Jets plenty of time to build a contending team.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't mind that.  I generally am good with what JD has done so far but this is the offseason he really needs to hit it out of the park.  If he has another 2020 type draft, I'm sure my opinion of him will go downhill quickly.  Otoh, if he hits on a lot of his picks then this team should actually start to win games.

Yeah, I think JD's original plan was probably to be conservative this off-season again but I don't see that happening.

I think you'll see some real spending - They can't roll with the youngest starting team in the league again and win 5 or 6 games.

Just be far too much pressure.  They need to show some real progress next year.  He's mostly gotten a free pass from the media and many fans, because they bought into the "plan"- Gloves are off next year for many..

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, I think JD's original plan was probably to be conservative this off-season again but I don't see that happening.

I think you'll see some real spending - They can't roll with the youngest starting team in the league again and win 5 or 6 games.

Just be far too much pressure.  They need to show some real progress next year.  He's mostly gotten a free pass from the media and many fans, because they bought into the "plan"- Gloves are off next year for many..

I wonder about that.  My guess is that he was planning this to be a big offseason all along considering all the draft picks plus it would really be his 3rd offseason.  I don't think GMs think that conservatively anymore.  I think he expects some results this year.

EDIT: Fwiw, I do think it's fair for fans to expect something after 3 offseasons of his GM'ing.  I know I will.  And, again, I'm guessing JD will think that way as well.  It would be a bit too conservative for him to think "This team won't show improvement until year #4"

12 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

True. But look at it this way.

The trail of destruction left in Judge's wake will take time to clean up but first the Giants have to find a GM then they have to find a willing Head Coaching Candidate who has the Ability and the Chops to right the ship. The only three candidates I can think of for Head Coach are Mike Flores, Rex Ryan and and Mike Zimmer. Flores is clearly the premium commodity. But would he really rush into the job. Flores is in a position where he can write his ticket and word on the street is he is in line for the Patriots job when Mumbles retires in a year or two. As to Rex Ryan his abrasive nature became apparent with the Jets and earned him a notorious reputation. In Ryan's case John Mara wouldn't be hiring a GM and Rex Ryan. More like the Giants would be hiring Rex Ryan and a Personnel Man to manage the Scouting Staff that Rex can use as a doormat. Then we get to Mike Zimmer. He is the best of the bunch on the Coaching Carousel. The question that has to been ask of the guys on the pony ride what makes you think that this time will be any better. All of these guys have been given multiple chances and been poop canned in all of them. So no matter how you look at it the Giants will have to blow it up and start over. That should give the Jets plenty of time to build a contending team.

i love Rex, he cant go to the Giants...

actually, i dont think they would hire someone like Rex. 

1st he is a big part of Jets History. i dont see the Giants taking an ex Jet.

2nd, after what i heard about Mara not liking How Judge called out the WFT and how he talked to the media he cant hire Rex. he is a controversy a minute. Rex acts like that all day long.

i know there is some Rex hate on this board but i dont care. i still say he is one of the best Jet HCs in history. he is ours, let the Giants get there own guy.

• Upvote 2

I can see the Giants going With Byron leftwich, Eric Bienemy , Brian Daboll. I think the hot coordinator route is their path. But I’ll bet my last dollar they don’t hire a special teams guy…🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

we got to be very careful with FA. it never works out for us. honestly i wonder what the% is of guys living up to their FA contracts?

Lawson wasnt cheap. Lev Bell?

what about CJ Mosely? he gets hurt in his 2nd game and misses the year. then takes the next one off for covid. we did not get our moneys worth. that guys making big money

i just dont see JD given out big contracts. i think he keeps its about the same. gives the mid level guys decent money where he can get out of it if they bust instead of being lock into a big contract. 

i think FA might be a bigger crap shoot then the draft.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

we got to be very careful with FA. it never works out for us. honestly i wonder what the% is of guys living up to their FA contracts?

Lawson wasnt cheap. Lev Bell?

what about CJ Mosely? he gets hurt in his 2nd game and misses the year. then takes the next one off for covid. we did not get our moneys worth. that guys making big money

i just dont see JD given out big contracts. i think he keeps its about the same. gives the mid level guys decent money where he can get out of it if they bust instead of being lock into a big contract. 

i think FA might be a bigger crap shoot then the draft.

While I agree with the risks of FA - I think JD has to try something aggressive  - there are just too many holes with not even NFL caliber talent...I think the offense isn't nearly as badd off as the defense.

The defense is a mess.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Giants will likely hire the Bills assistant GM Joe Schoenberg who will then most likely bring Brian Daboll (sucks I think he’ll be good) or Leslie Frazier (giggle)

This does make alot of sense.Daboll is credited for developing josh Allen and the giants either have to roll with jones or draft a qb.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The Giants, classy organization that they are, never fire people. They always “relieve them of their duties”.

You wonder how all of this would have played out if gentlemen didn’t retire.

10 minutes ago, Trotter said:

This does make alot of sense.Daboll is credited for developing josh Allen and the giants either have to roll with jones or draft a qb.

I think that they know this is a complete reboot/reset and that if they don’t like any QBs in this draft, starting Jones next year is the fastest route to earning a high pick in 2023 for another QB.