John Beck

doitny

you guys hear anything? i googled it and got nothing.

maybe hes going back to his QB training business.

that's a shame if he does. looks like Zach got his accuracy better while he was here. i would have loved to have him with Zach for a full season. and this year is important to his development. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Those are the stupidest rules you can have... How do you make a team better if you can't work with your own players whenever you want to.

That’s the CBA in a nut shell.  Players had issues with team demands in the off season and this is the result. Even if both the player and the team agreed to putting in the time it violates the CBA and teams will be penalized.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, doitny said:

you guys hear anything? i googled it and got nothing.

maybe hes going back to his QB training business.

that's a shame if he does. looks like Zach got his accuracy better while he was here. i would have loved to have him with Zach for a full season. and this year is important to his development. 

Zach said he can’t work with him in the off-season if Beck works for the team and that’s why Beck wasn’t there at the end of the year lol.  

I’m not sure if Beck will want to come back next season, but it seemed to help.  That was going to be Knapps roll and the new coach wasn’t a good fit for whatever reason. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

John Beck is nice and all, but why the f*ck can’t the Jets offer Joe Montana like $1 million a year to be Wilson’s QB coach?

QB’s didn’t make a whole lot of money back then you know…

Great players don’t often make great coaches.  It seems the good ones were all JAGs and backups.

Montana was a lousy analyst and his trial didn’t last long.  Maybe he is a poor communicator?

• Upvote 1

So Beck's contract expired at the end of the season and was not picked up - which allows him to work with Zach in the off-season.  Its a loop hole that regular coaches wouldnt normally take as they wouldnt want to be on year-to-year deals with the team, but Beck has a successful regular business, so for him, and the Jets it works great.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

So Beck's contract expired at the end of the season and was not picked up - which allows him to work with Zach in the off-season.  Its a loop hole that regular coaches wouldnt normally take as they wouldnt want to be on year-to-year deals with the team, but Beck has a successful regular business, so for him, and the Jets it works great.

It also means that if Beck's business gets really hot for some reason, he isn't tied to the Jets. If it isn't hot, he can just come back. It's a loophole, but it is rarely exploited so works great for the Jets.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Hex said:

It also means that if Beck's business gets really hot for some reason, he isn't tied to the Jets. If it isn't hot, he can just come back. It's a loophole, but it is rarely exploited so works great for the Jets.

That's really the question I have.

Is this a loophole they can exploit or is there something blocking this from being the case?

I suspect if there isn't now and the Jets try this - it will be brought up and the rules changed.  

But I can honestly say I have no idea.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Great players don’t often make great coaches.  It seems the good ones were all JAGs and backups.

Montana was a lousy analyst and his trial didn’t last long.  Maybe he is a poor communicator?

Would be interesting to list some guys who did more than 1 thing great.  For example, Ozzie Newsome was a great player and a great GM.  John Madden was a great HC and a great announcer.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Those are the stupidest rules you can have... How do you make a team better if you can't work with your own players whenever you want to.

How many people would love it if their employer wasn't allowed to talk to them unless they were on the clock! (I do agree though. It does seem stupid)

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Is this a loophole they can exploit or is there something blocking this from being the case?

I suspect if there isn't now and the Jets try this - it will be brought up and the rules changed.  

Since it's so specific, I doubt the NFL will do anything to stop it because it's not going to really happen in a different scenario.

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Isn't this kind of like Brady's guy Guerrero/TB12 that the Pats paid to train/inject HGH into Pats players?  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Isn't this kind of like Brady's guy Guerrero/TB12 that the Pats paid to train/inject HGH into Pats players?  

yes, well the Pats will exploit every loophole they can.  It's what they're good at..

I would like to see the Jets try and do the same...Do what it takes to be successful.

18 hours ago, Untouchable said:

John Beck is nice and all, but why the f*ck can’t the Jets offer Joe Montana like $1 million a year to be Wilson’s QB coach?

QB’s didn’t make a whole lot of money back then you know…

Great players don't necessarily make great coaches, and in fact, some would argue that they usually don't make great coaches. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I get the feeling Beck as full time coach was one and done. He wants to maintain his own coaching business.

Beck will work with Zach all offseason.

Interesting question though: Can Beck talk to Saleh and LaFleur?

I would guess yes.  If he's no longer emplyed, he's not covered by the rules, one wouldn't think.  

Zach's accuracy post John Beck hire was 53.83%. It did not get better technically.

Now if you want to throw out the real garbage games Zach had like New Orleans and Buffalo, it was 59.32% which is better than it was in the first half of the season. But you have to remove games where he played really bad in order to make that number look almost decent. 

It was around 58.7% when he got hurt.

21 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

That’s the CBA in a nut shell.  Players had issues with team demands in the off season and this is the result. Even if both the player and the team agreed to putting in the time it violates the CBA and teams will be penalized.

yep.  it was one thing when players (nba, mlb, nfl) weren't paid that much and actually had to have real jobs in the off season but now the nfl is 24/7/365.  the whole idea of zero communication until training camp is ludicrous and quant.  i suspect the good teams work around this rule.