Khalil Mack

Rhg1084

32 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Trade for Mack, draft Hamilton and Dean. Those moves right there completely upgrades the entire unit big time 

“We are going to lift you Zach.”

“Literally.  We do a team building activity with a chair and a chant.  It’s lovely.  There’s also a walk across hot coals. You’ll love it.  Stay limber.  Your going to need to run lots to survive your rookie deal.” 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I would give up a 3rd for Mack in a second. A front 7 with Mack + Williams + Lawson would be insane. It would benefit our corners more than anything too since they do not have to cover for so long. 

Agreed, if Mack somehow becomes available JD should be all over it. Getting a player of his caliber would relieve a lot of stress about getting an edge in the draft. Especially if they’re not sold on any of these guys. Would free up Douglas to build rest of roster. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

“We are going to lift you Zach.”

“Literally.  We do a team building activity with a chair and a chant.  It’s lovely.  There’s also a walk across hot coals. You’ll love it.  Stay limber.  Your going to need to run lots to survive your rookie deal.” 

I don’t see them taking an offensive lineman high, and with the injury to Williams who knows how far some of these other WRs rise. This is a defensive oriented draft and the Jets need tons of help. Wouldn’t be shocked if they double dip on defense

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t see them taking an offensive lineman high, and with the injury to Williams who knows how far some of these other WRs rise. This is a defensive oriented draft and the Jets need tons of help. Wouldn’t be shocked if they double dip on defense

I wouldn’t either.   They need to take players they feel confident will produce, not shoot for superstars who might bust.  

If it’s defense, so be it, but they better uncharacteristically open the purse strings in free agency if they do.  

4 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

if anyone else isn’t familiar with his contract, I looked it up.   

They have an out this season with a 24 million dead cap hit.   If not it’s 3 more years for them.   If the bears want out now is the time 

5C7E31B3-DCD6-43EB-A54D-4957D0AEB67A.png

Who knows Mack might even be a candidate for release if they can’t I’d a trade partner 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember when half this board was outraged when we didn't give  up 2 1sts and a 3rd for Mack. Nice to know he really justified that trade with 1 year of double digit sacks. 

As for trading for him now:

1- we would be rebuilding with 2 30 year old LBers. 

2- Mack and Mosley would combine for 48 million against our cap. 

3- I would trade a 3rd for Mack if they took Mosley off our hands in exchange. No idea if that makes sense for the Bears (cap savings wise going forward)

Mack's cap hit would become $17.75M if traded. That's absolutely nothing to complain about and with that sort of cap hit he would demand a new contract structure of course lol. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having two 30 year veterans. If anything that should help not hurt our defensive unit. Carolina's 2nd rounder should get the deal done but this is all mute.

Interesting how most of these high profile trades people scream about turn out to be steals for the teams trading the player.  Giving up multiple 1s is never a good idea unless it's for a top 10 QB.  One of those picks was Josh Jacobs you wouldn't trade him straight up for Mack right now.

• Upvote 1

No way are we throwing draft picks and a ton of money at older players ... we'll draft our own and develop them. If anything we'll trade draft picks to move up for specific players (e.g. AVT) but on the whole things aren't likely to change in terms of our approach this year.

I know people get excited for big splash moves every off season, but that's not this GMs way. Think of last year, we signed Lawson as a FA, that was our biggest "splash". Other than that ... Corey Davis? Jarrad Davis? Hardly blockbuster stuff. 

5 hours ago, peebag said:

24 mil hit??  I dont think they do that

Yeah, I don't see them carrying a $24M dead cap number for Mack just to save $6M against the cap.

If they are going to move on, 2023 looks much more likely - still an $11.6M dead cap figure, but a net saving of just under $19M against the cap.

we should trade for tom brady - might be available cause he’s old - no wait how about nick bosa? might be available cause sf is a scary place right now - wait how about his brother joey? - he might be available cause chargers missed the playoff - how about devante adams? he might be available - i mean who likes the desert really? get it? it isn’t fantasy football

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I believe the Jets are open to trading draft assets for an established vet, but I doubt that they’d do it for a player much older than 26. This isn’t a win now team, it’s a win sometime soon team. They need players who will continue to be foundational in 2-3 years, not players they need to replace in that timeframe. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

if anyone else isn’t familiar with his contract, I looked it up.   

They have an out this season with a 24 million dead cap hit.   If not it’s 3 more years for them.   If the bears want out now is the time 

5C7E31B3-DCD6-43EB-A54D-4957D0AEB67A.png

OK but do you want 30mm of cap space going to a guy who is on the downside of his career coming off a season ending injury that required surgery? No thank you.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I believe the Jets are open to trading draft assets for an established vet, but I doubt that they’d do it for a player much older than 26. This isn’t a win now team, it’s a win sometime soon team. They need players who will continue to be foundational in 2-3 years, not players they need to replace in that timeframe. 

tend to agree.  i think they need to get players that are coming off their rookie deals.  they're probably going to have overpay because anyone of these players is likely going to get a good offer from their original team.  either that or they get franchised.

I would not trade for him. I have a feeling we will trade for a veteran though. Just dont Mack is the right guy.

Have a feeling we will follow the Bills blue print and trade for a WR. Somebody like Amari Cooper (27 y.o.) would make more sense than Khalil Mack.  

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

We have the opportunity with our draft capital to draft our own edge guy, maybe two of them depending on how the board falls. No thank you.

Exactly.  Jet fans hated Mike McCagnan yet want Joe D to act just like him.  Its mindboggling.

• Like 1