Moses Escapes Injury.

Dunnie

Moses will be 31 when TC opens and will likely be in line to be a starter somewhere.

That being said, JD has to figure out how much he needs to value depth.  While we have some guys in the $9-10 million range, we dont currently have someone getting Sherf/Tyron Smith type money, which means if he wants to "overpay" moses to be a veteran backup he can do so.  Whether Moses will take that is up to him.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Becton continues to be a huge risk. He proved that again this year. Moses was a signing last summer that seemed like a luxury. He quickly became a necessity.

The Jets seem like a team that needs 3 starting caliber OTs to man 2 starting spots. The last thing we need going into Zach’s year 2 is an OL issue.

Yet, it seems no matter what they do that’s exactly what will happen. Just the way it is. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Becton continues to be a huge risk. He proved that again this year. Moses was a signing last summer that seemed like a luxury. He quickly became a necessity.

The Jets seem like a team that needs 3 starting caliber OTs to man 2 starting spots. The last thing we need going into Zach’s year 2 is an OL issue.

Becton is now a luxury item in my book ... something that is nice to have but not necessary to live on. Until he plays 17 games uninjured i will feel this way.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

If JD can find a way to bring Moses back that will go a long way to us fielding a better than average OL in 2022, however it works out. 3 starter quality players for 2 spots is a luxury a lot of better teams do not have.

Moses did talk highly of the team not long ago and sounded open to staying - but not sure how much of that was genuine and how much was diplomacy.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This^ As much as we need help on defense the number one priority should be protecting Wilson especially how lucky we are with injuries.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Becton is now a luxury item in my book ... something that is nice to have but not necessary to live on. Until he plays 17 games uninjured i will feel this way.

Becton is going nowhere. It is incredible  how many of you think he won't  be on the team and that he is thought to be a liability.  The guy will be here until his rookie deal is finished. All of you should be hoping he shows up next season 100% healthy. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Becton is going nowhere. It is incredible  how many of you think he won't  be on the team and that he is thought to be a liability.  The guy will be here until his rookie deal is finished. All of you should be hoping he shows up next season 100% healthy. 

Totally did not mean for my post to infer he was leaving ... i do think history says he cannot be counted on as a foundational piece to the line.  Fight me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets will have to compete for him just like every other team. I believe he is an unrestricted FA.

I’d put the probability of him returning at about 40%.

Sadly, I agree. One of the bright spots on that line. IDK that the Jets can afford to lose him.  They will have to overpay.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

unless Becton shows up at 325 to 340, he will never play a full season. Half a season will be a miracle.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Resign him to a 2 or 3 year deal to start at RT. Let Becton try and earn the LT spot. If he wins let Fant walk after next season. If he loses, trade him after next season. 

Why not let Fant be the left tackle next year, and have Becton fight it out for the right guard position?

Fant earned the starting spot at left tackle, and should not have to fight it out with anyone.

Moses, if brought back, earned the right tackle spot.  Becton has not earned anything yet.

• Upvote 2

Wish everyone would stop bringing up Wirfs.   Maybe he will be the better player time will tell.  We were excited about Becton his rookie year and somehow because he got rolled up on (having nothing to do with being heavy or out of shape) there is suddenly a lot of hate for him.  Not sure I understand it.   I also think it is fair to recognize that Douglas drafted Becton for Adam Gase’s scheme not for Lafleur’s zone block scheme so his strengths might not translate.   Not necessarily Douglas’ fault just another cost of changing HCs.   In any even it is now up to Becton and the coaching staff to do everything within their power to get healthy and up to speed so we don’t hear how he sucks again next training camp.   We shall see but if we can get him straightened out it will be a really big win for the whole team.  

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Alka said:

Why not let Fant be the left tackle next year, and have Becton fight it out for the right guard position?

Fant earned the starting spot at left tackle, and should not have to fight it out with anyone.

Moses, if brought back, earned the right tackle spot.  Becton has not earned anything yet.

I pretty much agree with you. I don't think we can pencil Becton in as a starter. He’s a great talent though and should be giving a chance to earn a spot.

I can’t see him playing guard but if we want him to fight for the RT spot instead of the LT spot, that is fine as well. 

50 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Wish everyone would stop bringing up Wirfs.   Maybe he will be the better player time will tell.  We were excited about Becton his rookie year and somehow because he got rolled up on (having nothing to do with being heavy or out of shape) there is suddenly a lot of hate for him.  Not sure I understand it.   I also think it is fair to recognize that Douglas drafted Becton for Adam Gase’s scheme not for Lafleur’s zone block scheme so his strengths might not translate.   Not necessarily Douglas’ fault just another cost of changing HCs.   In any even it is now up to Becton and the coaching staff to do everything within their power to get healthy and up to speed so we don’t hear how he sucks again next training camp.   We shall see but if we can get him straightened out it will be a really big win for the whole team.  

I think its mainly because he wasn't on the field every down as a rookie either. Hopefully he comes back strong next year.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Moses will be 31 when TC opens and will likely be in line to be a starter somewhere.

That being said, JD has to figure out how much he needs to value depth.  While we have some guys in the $9-10 million range, we dont currently have someone getting Sherf/Tyron Smith type money, which means if he wants to "overpay" moses to be a veteran backup he can do so.  Whether Moses will take that is up to him.

Agree that I would love to see Moses back and I would be willing to overpay a bit to keep him.  But I would be very surprised if he chooses to re-sign here.  I assume that he will get an opportunity to be a starter somewhere, and if the choice came down to signing for similar moeny to be a 3rd tackle for a rebuilding team or a starter on a contender, seems like it would be pretty tough for us to keep him.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion Morgan Moses should be a priority free agent resigning this off season. The offensive line more than any other position group on a football team needs experience working together.

Along with George Fant sliding over to LT I think they did just fine. No they weren't world beaters, but I'm not interested in starting over every year.

As I said the other day in a different thread we need to start by resigning the guys that made a difference THIS year. This is our foundation.

Let me add that Becton at this point is a borderline afterthought.  Overweight, out of shape, always injured. No good- 

Becton is going to have to earn his way back into the starting lineup.

Lastly it's time for us to stop this revolving door BS and actually pay the guys who have earned it for playing here and continue moving forward.

We have to stop constantly restarting over chump change.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agree that I would love to see Moses back and I would be willing to overpay a bit to keep him.  But I would be very surprised if he chooses to re-sign here.  I assume that he will get an opportunity to be a starter somewhere, and if the choice came down to signing for similar moeny to be a 3rd tackle for a rebuilding team or a starter on a contender, seems like it would be pretty tough for us to keep him.

Little off topic but.......who was the other Dawg d lineman, I think #88 Cook? Guy's a player.

55 minutes ago, section314 said:

Little off topic but.......who was the other Dawg d lineman, I think #88 Cook? Guy's a player.

Jalen Carter.  True Sophmore, he is not draft eligible.  He  is really good, part of the rotation behind Wyatt and Davis, but he will lead the rotation next year.   He should be a stud for us next season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, I really think the Jets need a young, talented OT as a swing tackle and maybe later start.  This year's draft is supposedly deep at OT, so the Jets need to take one, though I do think they could wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to do so.

Even if the Jets sign Moses, they should do this b/c they cannot count on Becton at all, and even Fant went down this year.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Made me think that maybe they don’t pick a G in the first.  Any chance maybe we get a starting line of Fant-AVT-McG-Moses-Becton?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Maybe hes already comfy in Nj and doesnt mind getting starting money to sit on the bench and avoid injury.

lots of ways to view this

23 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Made me think that maybe they don’t pick a G in the first.  Any chance maybe we get a starting line of Fant-AVT-McG-Moses-Becton?

It's possible but probably not likely.  I think this is where we as fans start to play a bit of Madden in our heads.  I do the same thing... Becton is huge, he's an amazing run blocker, he's good on his feet... why not move him to RG or RT?  I'm just not sure it's that easy.  If it's possible then than could be a very good risk-mitigating solution where the Jets get three of their best OLinemen (Fant, Becton, Moses) all on the field at the same time and knowing that Becton could swing over to LT if there's an injury.  The problem would obviously become money at some point depending upon how much we're paying two OGs like AVT and Moses or Becton.  That latter two being paid OT money.