Brandon Scherff?

If Evan Neal is there at pick 4, that's the guy the Jets should take in my opinion. Especially now that Jameson Williams likely has a torn ACL. 

Neal can fill the RG position, slide to right tackle next year when Fant is a Free Agent, and provide insurance for the Jets at left tackle in 2022 if Becton still can't get on the field. 

Becton-AVT-McGovern-Neal-Fant would be a pretty sweet offensive line heading into next season. 

You could also go a different position at 4 and draft Linderbaum at 10, but you don't know if Linderbaum will still be on the board and I don't particularly think drafting a center that high is a great idea. 

Scherff would be a great addition, but I think the Jets should be pouring their resources into defense and skill position players in free agency. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This brings up a question - Jets FA dilemma...

If the Jets are only going to get the FA's that are basically solely about money?

Are those the guys that aren't passionate about winning?

If that's the case, is that why our FA seem far to often to be bums?

In other words, the FA's that care about winning - we can't get.

This is why our involvement in FA so far has been limited ... and will likely be so this year too.

I see a lot of posts here that "JD has to spend this offseason". I don't see it happening for the exact reasons you posted - we're not a destination for players that want to win; until we develop organically to that stage our FA spending needs to be careful and controlled and VERY targeted at players who we feel will be foundational / part of the culture change. We are not looking at "quick fixes" to plug holes, and if people reckon a spending spree is coming, I think they're going to be disappointed.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Yeah, Scherff wants to go from one loser to another for the same money. And frankly, it would be stupid for the Jets to pay that. They have golden opportunity through the draft to find their own potential Scherff. That's the way to go. 

Didn't we just draft AVT?

• Upvote 3

He's one of the few free agents I would splurge for.

That said, @ScarletKnight89 raises good points, everything depends on the long term plans for the oline. Keep in mind Moses is a FA, McGovern and Fant are on the last year of deals.

You don't want to end next season scrambling for replacements to oline. If you're plan is to let Fant go, then you need to take a tackle. Same with McGovern, you should have his replacement ready in house although center is easier to replace than tackle.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Love his ability on the field - who wouldn’t? - but he hasn’t played a full season since his 2nd year in the league. That’s 5 straight years where he’s missed multiple games (not counting games he left early with those injuries).

If he’s looking for something pushing $20MM/yr, that’s way overboard for a guy who’s that unreliable from a health standpoint, especially with a 17th game added (and - gasp - playoffs beyond that if the Jets get their act together aside from just RG).

I’ve got no issues paying up big for a RG, especially when the team’s LG counterpart is on a relatively cheap rookie deal for the next 3 seasons, and not having either tackle making in excess of $10MM. But it can’t be a guy who misses this many games, especially with Becton not being a 100%-snaps guy himself, to say the least:

• 2017: missed 2 (knee)
  • 2018: missed 8 (shoulder in a brace earlier, then tore a pectoral, and would’ve missed the postseason)
  • 2019: missed 5 (ankle; and would’ve missed the postseason)
  • 2020: missed 3 (knee; played all snaps in WFT’s 1 playoff game)
  • 2021: missed 4 to injury (knee; then 2 more were because he tested positive for covid in late Dec, but I can’t fault him for that)

Anyway that’s just way too many missed games for a guy demanding that much. Historically injury prone players don’t tend to get suddenly less injury prone, for the next few years in a row, starting at age 31.

Given our existing concerns over injuries, this should 100% rule him out IMHO.

Let's draft and develop our own guys (Brandon Moore says hi :-) ).

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If the Jets are only going to get the FA's that are basically solely about money?

I would say Mosley cares about winning and he came here didn't he?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I don’t  think that’s fair. Football is a violent game, where players have short careers. These guys need to think about getting paid before it’s too late. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This has been the jets problem since rex Ryan walked out the door. This team has been used to drive prices up for FA’s for quite a while now. Very few FA signings over the last decade have came here and left with equal or increased value. At this time, we’re plan b or c. We won’t have a legit shot at the FA’s we all want to sign until this team starts hitting on draft picks and this organization starts being competitive consistently.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Wit said:

I don’t  think that’s fair. Football is a violent game, where players have short careers. These guys need to think about getting paid before it’s too late. 

I don't disagree, which is why it was phrased as a question.

I'm all for guys making as much money as possible, not judging them..

But we hear all the time guys taking less money (usually not a lot less) to play in places where they have a better chance of winning - and some guys just go wherever they can make the most money.

Is there a difference in passion between those two?  I honestly don't know.

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I feel like people around here have been chasing this Brandon Scherff dream for a decade now.  Time to let it go. 

This!!!  If Douglas wants to create a "super line" he's in prime position to do it in the first round.

No need to spend 16-18 million a year on Scherff

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Love his ability on the field - who wouldn’t? - but he hasn’t played a full season since his 2nd year in the league. That’s 5 straight years where he’s missed multiple games (not counting games he left early with those injuries).

If he’s looking for something pushing $20MM/yr, that’s way overboard for a guy who’s that unreliable from a health standpoint, especially with a 17th game added (and - gasp - playoffs beyond that if the Jets get their act together aside from just RG).

I’ve got no issues paying up big for a RG, especially when the team’s LG counterpart is on a relatively cheap rookie deal for the next 3 seasons, and not having either tackle making in excess of $10MM. But it can’t be a guy who misses this many games, especially with Becton not being a 100%-snaps guy himself, to say the least:

• 2018: missed 8 (shoulder in a brace earlier, then tore a pectoral, and would’ve missed the postseason)
  • 2021: missed 4 to injury (knee; then 2 more were because he tested positive for covid in late Dec, but I can’t fault him for that)

Anyway that’s just way too many missed games for a guy demanding that much. Historically injury prone players don’t tend to get suddenly less injury prone, for the next few years in a row, starting at age 31.

Well said. I've lost count of the amount of threads the last month on how much $ we waste on guys who never play because they are always hurt. Scherff would make our guys look like ironmen. Pass on this bum, please.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Absolutely.

I know a lot of people wanted to draft this guy seven years ago, but now it’s time to let go. Joe Douglas isn’t going to make any 30-something the highest paid anything in the league. It makes no sense for the Jets. There are other younger, cheaper, healthier options available in free agency. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Until we becoming a destination for free agents either by consistent winning and/or creating a culture within the organization that players are looking to join I would not expect any equal market signings.  In order to get the free agents we want it is going to require paying a premium.

45 minutes ago, Wit said:

A lot of these guys are hoping to get that 2nd contract, and they have to maximize that deal.  I don't blame that at all for that.

Thuney didn't take less money to go to KC last year.   Now, things being even, if team A has won 30 games in the last 3 years, and is always in the playoff hunt, and team B has won 6 games in the last 2 years, AND the money is close, any player will choose team A.  Especially when team B has a higher state income tax.

33 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

No

Two years ago I was all about throwing the bank at him. Not now.

He’s been banged up the last two seasons and is on the wrong side of 30.

Go after a guy like Connor Williams if you want to add a guard in FA.

My Cowboy friends say that this would be a steal if we get him.  Also they have TE available that would be a nice signing as well (Dalton Schultz)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Washington GM Martin Mayhew on Brandon Scherff: "I think our fans should know we've made every effort to get something done." Added that they offered to make him the highest-paid guard in NFL last year. 

Sounds like a guy who wants to go elsewhere.

From uSTADIUM

Thoughts? 

He want's to go to a contender if he isn't taking that kind of money. 

37 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The days of us making aging players the highest paid at their position in the league are over.

Why do you guys think Joe D has stockpiled these draft picks?

No big money free agents are coming here because we dont want them!!!

A guy like Scherif we should want. The question is does he want us.