Visual representation of 2022 Draft Capital/Cap space per team (Best positioned teams are all in the AFC)

7 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My guess is that both Hamilton and Linderbaum will be there at #4 but not at #10.  

I’m more than happy to let someone else draft a safety and a center in the top ten. More premium position players available for the Jets second pick. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

That he's the only blue chip prospect in the draft - absolutely.

If you are saying the only Blue chip  safety prospect - then I can buy that a little more. 

Who are the other blue chip guys in the draft?   Thib and hutch are in the same class as the edges who went in the 20s last year. The wrs are worse, neal, icky, and cross are worse than slater, and Sewell. Overall this isn’t a very good top end draft, but it’s pretty deep 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Who are the other blue chip guys in the draft?   Thib and hutch are in the same class as the edges who went in the 20s last year. The wrs are worse, neal, icky, and cross are worse than slater, and Sewell. Overall this isn’t a very good top end draft, but it’s pretty deep 

Stingley, Treylon Burks, Andrew Booth, Garret Wilson , Devin Lloyd  and even  Ekwonu but as a Guard not Tackle

I'm leery on Karlaftis and Ojabo but with the right team fit they also may be Blue Chippers. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Stingley, Treylon Burks, Andrew Booth, Garret Wilson , Devin Lloyd  and even  Ekwonu but as a Guard not Tackle

I'm leery on Karlaftis and Ojabo but with the right team fit they also may be Blue Chippers. 

These may be the two guys that are plug in and play guys from day one for ten years. For the same team.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

None of those guys are “blue chip”. Are they pretty good? Sure. But they aren’t guys like chase, parsons, okudah, Sewell coming out. Again Hamilton is the only blue chip player in this class. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Adam Gase was the alpha in Florham Park in 2020.  He hired Joe Douglas.  He ran that draft and got Joe to pick the players he wanted.

Dont judge Joe Douglas for Adam Gase's picks.

Joe is the alpha now.  And the draft he ran was a home run.  This class will be even better.

That is a bizarre take

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

OK  Mel .  When is your draft book coming out?

I'm not one to give accolades for having enormous cap space as many have done to JD...for me, it shows a lack of willingness to use resources as if there is a prize for the one with the most marbles at the end of the day...no doubt in my mind that Woody is thrilled to see that much money in his favor on the ledger books..I fully expect JD won;t come close to using the majority of it and will continue with a large reserve going forward.

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe is the alpha now.  And the draft he ran was a home run.  This class will be even better.

I agree with the first 2 statements, but the 3rd one I don't agree with, just because there aren't as many awesome players. JD might get some really good players, but the next draft class won't included players at the level of Moore, Carter, and AVT. That draft was amazing for JD, especially if Zach turns out

9 hours ago, Hex said:

I agree with the first 2 statements, but the 3rd one I don't agree with, just because there aren't as many awesome players. JD might get some really good players, but the next draft class won't included players at the level of Moore, Carter, and AVT. That draft was amazing for JD, especially if Zach turns out

I love it when fans and even draft "experts" throw out these absolutes. 

Even the best of the best personnel and scouting evaluators get these wrong more often than they are right. No one can predict how these 19-23 year old's are going to adapt to the NFL. There are so many factors that come into play ( offensive/defensive schemes, coaching , team environment and makeup(Vets/leaders etc..) and the maturity and personal commitment of each and every player drafted or undrafted. 

Every year there are players draft pundits rave about that fail and there are players no one pumped up that went on to have long NFL careers.  The draft is an educated crap shoot and there are no absolutes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Hex said:

We are going to get the best olineman in the draft at 4, the best wr in the draft at 10, the best tight end in the draft at 35 and the best rb in the draft at 38.

These players will be better then all the kids we drafted last year.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:59 AM, BurntDice said:

Linderbaum probably will be. Centers get hyped up by fanbases every year and get mocked way higher than they go. The highest a center has gone in the past 30 years or so is 15. Even at 15 it’s an outlier because they usually go in the 20s or later. I believe there’s only been 1 center to go top 20 not including the very early years of the nfl 

You are correct... Steve Everitt actually went #14 OA in 1993. Only center in 30 years to go top 15.  A handful of others went 16-20 over that same period, and not many of them are much to write home about.  Damien Woody at #17, and he wound up playing more games at G/T than C. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Our ‘21 remaining cap space was only $6.9M.  We paid a lot of dead cap this last year to now be in a position to pay players who actually play on our team. 

JD has done this largely by offering short term deals when possible and building favorable “outs” into the stingy contracts he’s offered. 

It’s actually an ideal way to rebuild a team.  Targeting fan accolades is how you get the LeVeon Bell’s and Trumaine Johnson’s on your roster (who, by the way, accounted for $12M of our ‘21 cap and didn’t play a single snap). 

But, you know… marbles. 

The Johnson contract never made sense. I can appreciate the gamble behind Bell. Go out and get your young budding QB the best offensive weapon since Marshall Falk, seemed like a solid move, even with the year off.

I do think we see more of a spend this offseason. Schultz is the crown jewel I want.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

You are correct... Steve Everitt actually went #14 OA in 1993. Only center in 30 years to go top 15.  A handful of others went 16-20 over that same period, and not many of them are much to write home about.  Damien Woody at #17, and he wound up playing more games at G/T than C. 

Exactly. For the longest time center and guard weren’t even thought of to be drafted in the first round with a few exceptions.  Now there are mocks every year that have AT least 1 center and 1 guard going in the first. The nfl  doesnt view these guys even close to as highly as the fanbases do. 

On 1/13/2022 at 12:38 AM, Beerfish said:

Who can we get from New Orleans?  We have money and picks they seem to have neither.

Lattimore's contract was set up to be traded this offseason.  I don't think there's any way they can avoid it.  He has a massive roster bonus due this March ($13.5M maybe?) so any team taking him is going to need cap room.    We have a lot of young DBs whom we could include one of (anyone but Hall IMO) along with a pick.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Even the best of the best personnel and scouting evaluators get these wrong more often than they are right. No one can predict how these 19-23 year old's are going to adapt to the NFL. There are so many factors that come into play ( offensive/defensive schemes, coaching , team environment and makeup(Vets/leaders etc..) and the maturity and personal commitment of each and every player drafted or undrafted. 

Every year there are players draft pundits rave about that fail and there are players no one pumped up that went on to have long NFL careers.  The draft is an educated crap shoot and there are no absolutes. 

You have a very good point. I blast people for doing that, and then I do it myself.

Add a 'most likely' in there, and that will be more accurate

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Absolute BS. The GM is responsible for draft picks. Yes, wise GM's solicit input from the coaching staff but the final decision is the GM's *AND* they all know it. Becton, Mims and the rest are all Joe's. 

JD doesn't get a pass for his 1st draft. GM's are judged by their win-loss record.

The only way to truly forget/forgive the '20 draft is for Zack to turn into a top level QB and JD hits big time on this years FA/Trade/Draft.

The GM is responsible, 100% true. But it’s not BS to say that the coaching staff had influence. One of the reasons Gase used to force Mac out was his unwillingness to listen to the coaches at all. JD picked players in partnership with Gase his first season, and with Saleh in his second. His second draft looks a lot better. Could be a lot of factors. Could be luck. What I hope it is is that the scouting department and Saleh’s coaching staff worked better together to identify players they could develop, and that the better drafting will continue this year as a result. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

This is why I hate the use of "Value" 

So you're forced to take a DT and pass up on a LT - because somehow, somewhere, someone decided that the DT is the "Value" pick and can't be passed up.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

The GM is responsible, 100% true. But it’s not BS to say that the coaching staff had influence. One of the reasons Gase used to force Mac out was his unwillingness to listen to the coaches at all. JD picked players in partnership with Gase his first season, and with Saleh in his second. His second draft looks a lot better. Could be a lot of factors. Could be luck. What I hope it is is that the scouting department and Saleh’s coaching staff worked better together to identify players they could develop, and that the better drafting will continue this year as a result. 

JD and Gase were on an equal reporting structure with the final call on the draft being JD's. I hope JD did factor in Gases' style and look for players that fit but I don't see where Gase influenced the '20 draft.

It was common knowledge we needed an OT and were sorely lacking at WR. First two picks would have been the same no matter who was the HC - IMO.

This is year 3 for JD and he needs to hit on day 1 and day 2 and FA filling the roster with players Saleh can win with.