Texans fire David Culley: Potential Jets draft implication.

JTJet

44 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yup.

I despise Watson, and he most certainly doesn’t deserve to play professional football in my opinion, but I don’t entirely trust Goodell to actually do the right thing unless his hands are tied.  So throwing all of that out, I can’t imagine that this move isn’t related to Watson in any way possible.  If DeShaun wanted Miami that badly because of Flores, I’d imagine getting him to become Houston’s next head coach would go a long way in keeping him.

Agree, but I would say it a little differently. Whether it is the passive aggressive approach he is using now, or an aggressive bending of the rules to protect Watson he will never be disciplined.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Feel bad for Culley, finally gets his shot, gets hired under the worst circumstances, expected to be the worst team in the NFL and that rag tag bunch actually came out and gave a damn good fight.  Davis Mills was best rookie QB of the class.

Teams are stupid. 

Just another example of an owner who has no idea what they're doing

• Upvote 1

What a joke.

Houston last year decided to hire  a lame duck coach who would fail for a year so they figured oh we will take Culley and he will fail hard and we can then get the guy we want next year.

Culley came in got a talentless team to be respectable  most games and win some games and a 3rd round afterthought QB looked better and better as the year went on.

So now they can him, aholes.

Yeah this has Flores written all over it for sure.  I hope they fail hard.

• Upvote 2

Texans overachieved, but good for culley getting a five year deal from this embarrassment of an organization. He was in no way Gase level bad. Why Flores would take over this team is beyond me. If Watson is requesting him than they deserve each other and I hope they crash and burn: 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Apparently they’re hiring Pep Hamilton as OC. 

How do you hire and OC before the HC?

And people thought the Jets were a circus. 

The were like - hey, the Giants got rid of Gentleman and Judge, we can totally become the circus/clown organization - I love the circus - LOL

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Next question is…do they potentially go OL?  The draft implications for us are definitely still there.

If they go Oline they likely would have done it whether they fired the HC or not. They probably take OT Evan Neal to have a FLT. There will be at least 1 Edge rusher taken in the 1st 2 picks, but since there are possibly 3 Edge rushers that could go in the top 5, then we should get one. You wonder if any player falls to our slot at 4 some other team would trade a haul to get up there for, but doesn't seem that way right now, unless one of the QBs like Pickett hit it out of the park at the combine and/or Pro Day. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

If they go Oline they likely would have done it whether they fired the HC or not. They probably take OT Evan Neal to have a FLT. There will be at least 1 Edge rusher taken in the 1st 2 picks, but since there are possibly 3 Edge rushers that could go in the top 5, then we should get one. You wonder if any player falls to our slot at 4 some other team would trade a haul to get up there for, but doesn't seem that way right now, unless one of the QBs like Pickett hit it out of the park at the combine and/or Pro Day. 

Last couple of days I have been hearing slot of noise around the qb at liberty. I know zero about him but these are the type of situations where guys shoot up that had little to no press during the year

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It was understood that the texans needed a bridge coach for a year till they got front office stuff squared away.  Culley knew this as well.

I thought that was the case, but if they really owe him another $17mm. 
You don’t give $22mm to a place holder.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What a joke.

Houston last year decided to hire  a lame duck coach who would fail for a year so they figured oh we will take Culley and he will fail hard and we can then get the guy we want next year.

Culley came in got a talentless team to be respectable  most games and win some games and a 3rd round afterthought QB looked better and better as the year went on.

So now they can him, aholes.

Yeah this has Flores written all over it for sure.  I hope they fail hard.

On the other hand, Culley got a good chance to audition for another opportunity.  Honestly, if you were one of the teams that doesn't get Harbaugh or Flores, wouldn't you put him on your list?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

It was understood that the texans needed a bridge coach for a year till they got front office stuff squared away.  Culley knew this as well.

Then why did they have him sign such a long deal? It was like 4 or 5 years or something like that. Seems like a boneheaded move by the Texans front office or owner or whoever gave him the deal if the idea was that the Texans just needed a bridge coach

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

On the other hand, Culley got a good chance to audition for another opportunity.  Honestly, if you were one of the teams that doesn't get Harbaugh or Flores, wouldn't you put him on your list?

Probably not, he is 65 or 66 years old and many other candidates out there.  He gets to say he was head guy on and nfl team and a nice retirement contract.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Next question is…do they potentially go OL?  The draft implications for us are definitely still there.

I think the LT situation in Jax should be monitored over anything. Cam Robinson is FA coming off the franchise tag. If they choose not to franchise him a second time or lay down a big money contract for him, Neal may be in play for them. Could very well put Thibs or Hutchinson in reach at 4.

• Upvote 1

You’d think they would hold onto Mills and get rid of Watson. If they didn’t play him the entire season why would they play him next season. They on the field are obviously a better player with Watson and they decided to take the hit and not play him. So why go back on it now. 

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Culley didn't deserve to get fired. He did a solid job with the dysfunctional hand that he was dealt.

I hope he got a decent contract and can enjoy his HC salary for a few years.

Edit: Just checked - the Texans gave Culley a FIVE YEAR deal.

He can retire and still get paid his HC salary by Houston for the next 4 years. Not bad.

I heard today it was announced as a 5 year deal, but only 2 were guaranteed. Not only was he viewed as a “bridge” he was set up to fail.

It seemed like he did a decent job, but Supposedly Houston just wanted to kick the can down the road a year waiting for a candidate they liked to become available.

EDIT sorry, I just saw your second post where you said the same thing about the contract.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, FootballLove said:

On a side note, what if a white player demanded to be traded but only to a team with a white HC? That would be fine?

Oh stop it.  At any given time there's only about 3 black HC's in a league that employs about 70+ % black players.  When you've been coached by white dudes your whole life this shouldn't be viewed as an unreasonable (or worse, a "reverse racism") request.  Representation matters.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Eh. If Watson didn't sign back on with Culley he's probably not signing back on with any HC. Culley is a black HC Watson said he wants to play for, but he didn't. He wants OFF the Texans more than he wants to play for a black HC. 

On a side note, what if a white player demanded to be traded but only to a team with a white HC? That would be fine?

Did he really say this?

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Feel bad for Culley, finally gets his shot, gets hired under the worst circumstances, expected to be the worst team in the NFL and that rag tag bunch actually came out and gave a damn good fight.  Davis Mills was best rookie QB of the class.

Teams are stupid. 

Could not agree more. It seemed like a terrible hire. He had to deal with all the Watson stuff. Made them look like a professional organization and he not only deals with no Watson, they walk away with a new QB.

The only way he should be fired is it they can get Flores and somehow mend the fences with Watson.