BYU fan got to chat with Zach Wilson a little bit this week. Here’s what he had to say:

Mogglez

15 hours ago, BurntDice said:

This is cool! I just don’t really believe the part about signing a #1 wr and focusing everything else on D. Not saying it won’t happen, but it sounds like the fans opinion more than anything. I doubt Zach said that. 

Probably depends on how FA/Trades markets play out.  Just because we want to acquire a #1 WR, does not mean we will.  In which case they may not be able to afford to focus on D in day 1 of draft.  Less than a week into our offseason, I assume everything is still pretty fluid.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Yeah Zach knows nothing about what the front office plans to do, they don’t even know yet. The offseason hasn’t even started. 

I'm sure the front office has been preparing for a while now.  They don't just wait until the season ends before they start thinking about it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Copernicus said:

These two quotes were most significant to me:

If Berrios is truly his best friend on the team I think this solidifies the Jets resigning Berrios at all costs (within ridiculous reason). Berrios was super reliable, productive and there is chemistry with the QB on and off the field.

If anyone had a doubt that Zach Wilson was arrogant to the level of it being detrimental to the team this quote adds to disparaging it and reinforces his general humbleness/team first personality traits. 

Agreed my friend!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Wilson’s comments aside, is it that far fetched that douglas’ plan A this offseason is to sign an experienced wr, then draft 2 guys in the top 10 to revamp the putrid D, and then use day 2 picks for OL/TE/cb?

it is a little bit odd imo because we have very little talent in offensive skill positions and out o-line still needs work

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Thanks for posting.  Good listen.

Agreed, I thought they asked some great question.  Very likable kid.

I was intrigued by his answer to the advice question; Rodgers advising him on his footwork and drops and how those effect timing only because I feel like that's one of his biggest areas for improvement.  Could be a good sign that he's going to hyper focus on that in the offseason.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I was intrigued by his answer to the advice question; Rodgers advising him on his footwork and drops and how those effect timing only because I feel like that's one of his biggest areas for improvement.  Could be a good sign that he's going to hyper focus on that in the offseason.

Agreed.

Yes, I think his biggest issue is his footwork.  He has many things to work on - but, I believe, if he can get his footwork down he'll make major strides next year.

I also liked how he felt he needed to simplify things in his head...It's why I have hope for him, I really do think things were just moving far too fast for him - and noticed it started to slow down and we saw progress....

Now, for a lot of guys the game never slows down enough and can't overcome it - we just don't know where Zach will end up - but I'm confident he's going to work hard at it...

• Upvote 3

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.

Yes, I think his biggest issue is his footwork.  He has many things to work on - but, I believe, if he can get his footwork down he'll make major strides next year.

I also liked how he felt he needed to simplify things in his head...It's why I have hope for him, I really do think things were just moving far too fast for him - and noticed it started to slow down and we saw progress....

Now, for a lot of guys the game never slows down enough and can't overcome it - we just don't know where Zach will end up - but I'm confident he's going to work hard at it...

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Agree with all of this. 

the other thing i really liked to hear is what he told the NY media the other day regarding core strength training. It sounds like he is planning to put on weight to help him avoid injury, and the way he talked about it (and has talked about it in the past), you can tell he’s a bit of a workout freak. This is something I’m a huge fan of. 

maybe I’m old-fashioned, but I think athletes who are constantly working on their bodies are hard workers and I think that translates to all facets of their game. 

Everyone talks about working hard but not everyone does. I genuinely think this guy is a bit of a football/workout nerd. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I doubt Zach told him the blueprint for our entire off-season, but neither thing said would shock me.

Or is he telling the truth about the Jet's strategy, knowing that everyone will think it can't be true...

Or is he lying about the Jet's strategy, knowing that everyone will think it can't be a lie...

Or...

19 minutes ago, football guy said:

Thanks for this. To add:

Confirmed on Braxton.

I would say he *hopes* they get a FA/trade for someone more than that being 100% the plan; he's made it clear to those close to him that there's more of a trust factor with the veterans. Thinks he has that much less to worry about when he's throwing to guys who are more seasoned route runners/playbook studiers/etc. 

There's been rumors about him and his gf breaking up; that much is confirmed. He broke up with her... lol unfortunately I know way more about the intimate details surrounding this than I wish I did. Sucks, she was hot. Apparently his reps are trying to link him up with a young model with a few famous parents. Speaking of mountains, my exact response to this news: go siberian Rocky Balboa mode and prep to become an elite QB. 

A few famous parents?  Interesting. 

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s not a “city guy,” he can’t watch his alma mater play because of time zones, his best friend is the WR5, nobody recognizes him in Jersey, his DCHC is going to burn every draft pick on defense and stick him with Christian Kirk as his WR1, and he’s spending the offseason working out in Utah and Florida. My guy seems pumped about the NY/NJ Jets experience.

Be very careful listening to sources like this. Believe me-I’ve been in the penitentiary. I’ve heard some second hand stories lol

54 minutes ago, football guy said:

Thanks for this. To add:

Confirmed on Braxton.

I would say he *hopes* they get a FA/trade for someone more than that being 100% the plan; he's made it clear to those close to him that there's more of a trust factor with the veterans. Thinks he has that much less to worry about when he's throwing to guys who are more seasoned route runners/playbook studiers/etc. 

There's been rumors about him and his gf breaking up; that much is confirmed. He broke up with her... lol unfortunately I know way more about the intimate details surrounding this than I wish I did. Sucks, she was hot. Apparently his reps are trying to link him up with a young model with a few famous parents. Speaking of mountains, my exact response to this news: go siberian Rocky Balboa mode and prep to become an elite QB. 

This is beyond cringey. Did you bite your lips when posting this? I mean for gods sakes.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He’s not a “city guy,” he can’t watch his alma mater play because of time zones, his best friend is the WR5, nobody recognizes him in Jersey, his DCHC is going to burn every draft pick on defense and stick him with Christian Kirk as his WR1, and he’s spending the offseason working out in Utah and Florida. My guy seems pumped about the NY/NJ Jets experience.

Brilliant!

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I wouldn't blame him if he wasn't so pumped  to play for a fan base that was pretty much out to destroy him before he was even drafted.

If I were him I would want out of here as fast I could...

Luckily for the NY Jets - He seems to be far more of a team player and a better guy than I am...

If he’s going back to Utah in the offseason as a second year player who had a rocky rookie year there’s a zero percent chance he’s going to work out. Being a pro means living in your city full time. Home is NewJersey now.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If he’s going back to Utah in the offseason as a second year player who had a rocky rookie year there’s a zero percent chance he’s going to work out. Being a pro means living in your city full time. Home is NewJersey now.

In the off season :

Aaron Rogers lives in California

josh Allen - California 

ben roethlisberger - Georgia 

etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1