Jump to content

Would you take a chance on the torn ACL WR?


NYJets43
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Godwin and Gallup yeah. Guys recover from these all the time. I don't see why they wouldn't bounce back. 

Agreed. They have made progess on rehabbing these injuries.  At one time they were career killers but no longer. They probably have 2 or 3 more solid seasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Agreed. They have made progess on rehabbing these injuries.  At one time they were career killers but no longer. They probably have 2 or 3 more solid seasons. 

Agreed, but this is a make or break year for JD. If you were him would you bank on a guy coming off a major injury to stay healthy and produce?

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, NYJets43 said:

Agreed, but this is a make or break year for JD. If you were him would you bank on a guy coming off a major injury to stay healthy and produce?

Yeah, I think he will need to know if these guys will be ready week 1 before investing that much draft/cap capital. If we start off 0-2 because a guy isn't ready to start the year, this team doesn't have the winning muscle memory to cope IMO. 

This team needs to start off hot next year to begin to believe that a playoff run is possible. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah.  I think good WRs are almost always available in the draft, even if you don't pick near the top.  That's true in most years but maybe not this year (because Jets).   CeeDee Lamb was taken 17th overall.  Van Jefferson was drafted 57th overall. 

We do need a legit #1 WR but I don't want to overdraft a guy who won't even be a #1 WR.  And I hate the idea of giving a longer-term contract to a FA who might want to rest on his laurels now that he has the big money.  Maybe the move is to trade down from #10 and make sure we grab the #1 TE (if we think he's legit) plus add a TE in FA.  It would suck for Zach to not have a legit #1 WR but FA just isn't the way winning teams go (maybe a team that's a piece away from the Superbowl, which we most certainly are not).  I think we have to "let the draft come to us" rather than overdrafting.    I think that's what good teams do.  They build methodically.  Maybe we can trade down.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NYJets43 said:

Agreed, but this is a make or break year for JD. If you were him would you bank on a guy coming off a major injury to stay healthy and produce?

If we can sign someone like Scantling, I would go that way, but if not and we can sign one of these two, it's  risky but the payoff would be worth it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only way I could even entertain drafting Williams would be if we signed Mike Williams in FA, and also a legit #1 TE. Then, if JD and the scouts are convinced that Williams was gonna make a complete recovery, and they had him so far ahead of the other WR's on the board, then you could make a case and let him sit for a year. That's the only way, and doubt we would consider it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think I could take Jameson Williams at 10 with the injury. We cannot afford to miss and that's very high for a WR who isn't a slam dunk. If he were to somehow fall to our 2nd rounder I think that's a slam dunk though... I'm guessing someone still takes him in the first though.

Godwin? Absolutely. Gallup I'm not as high on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would not, and my top 3 WR wants this offseason were Gallup, Godwin, and Williams. We need someone who can immediately help Wilson.

My ideal situation, signing Schultz in FA and trading for Ridley if available.

 

Dalton Shultz

Draft day trade Falcons give us #8 and Ridley for #4 (mid 2nd Round Value)

We take 2 of either Nakobe Dean, George Karlaftis, or Kyle Hamilton

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Godwin, absolutely. The rookie, maybe. Gallup? No way. We need a number one WR. Signing him and assuming he'll become that is a same old Jets move. We just did that with Corey Davis. And I like Gallup, but this sh*t never works for us. Tired of this song.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nah.  I think good WRs are almost always available in the draft, even if you don't pick near the top.  That's true in most years but maybe not this year (because Jets).   CeeDee Lamb was taken 17th overall.  Van Jefferson was drafted 57th overall. 

We do need a legit #1 WR but I don't want to overdraft a guy who won't even be a #1 WR.  And I hate the idea of giving a longer-term contract to a FA who might want to rest on his laurels now that he has the big money.  Maybe the move is to trade down from #10 and make sure we grab the #1 TE (if we think he's legit) plus add a TE in FA.  It would suck for Zach to not have a legit #1 WR but FA just isn't the way winning teams go (maybe a team that's a piece away from the Superbowl, which we most certainly are not).  I think we have to "let the draft come to us" rather than overdrafting.    I think that's what good teams do.  They build methodically.  Maybe we can trade down.

 

 

Who are you and what have you done with my goofy friend TuscanyTile?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

Agreed, but this is a make or break year for JD. If you were him would you bank on a guy coming off a major injury to stay healthy and produce?

No way. How can you take that chance when our wide receiver room was watching TV the last month and a half of the season? The only guy I would trade for is Ridley if he checks out. He wasn't injured and just had a bad situation in Atlanta. He's a legit #1 and he's still young. We don't need any injured guys that end up being another #2. I agree with Connor Hughes - a legit #1 receiver moves the needle on this team more than any other position. If we take OT early, that won't move the needle much at all because we already had a very good season out of our tackles. WR1 and TE and then hopefully the Nakobe. Now we're talking. I hope JD trades out of #4 after listening to The Athletic's Can't Wait podcast. Dane B. said there really isn't a great group of elite players. You are better off being beyond #8 in this draft. He said both Hutchinson and Thib. wouldn't be top ten picks last year.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say it’s necessarily taking a chance. These guys will recover. The question is how much resources would we be willing to spend knowing there’s a recovery period.

For Jameson Williams, I’d draft him with the early 2nd if he’s there and essentially redshirt him.

I wouldn't spent FA money on Gallup and Godwin though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JD needs to nail this draft.  He needs at least 3 immediate, impact starters in those first 4 picks (all four would be nice, but allowing for 1 guy to disappoint or get injured).  He shouldn't risk a pick on Williams to effectively "redshirt" until the 3rd round, at the earliest.

Yes, some other team will probably take him before that.  But, a good team can afford to take such a risk.  Bad teams like the Jets need more sure things, especially in the first two rounds of a draft, and extra especially b/c JD's 2020 draft is turning out so badly.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...