Would you take a chance on the torn ACL WR?

NYJets43

Although I understand the temptation, I would have to pass on all 3. 

We have been so injury plagued (especially at WR) and next year is such a huge year for JD/Saleh/Wilson, that I just don’t think I’d be interested in putting major resources into a guy who is going to miss the first chunk of next season right off the bat 

• Upvote 1

When I tore my ACL when I was 18, it was a clean tear and I was back full participant in baseball(was hurt in football) 6 months later.  That was 20 years ago.  If it’s a clean ACL tear(no other major damage), there should be little to no concern for regaining top form.

For example, I was as slow and non-explosive as I ever was.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, heymangold said:

To be honest, 2 WRs are needed.  I’d draft a guy, sign or trade for a guy (mike williams, ridley, etc). That way the top 5 can be sign/trade, Moore, draft, Davis, Berrios.

I think we need 2 TEs even more urgently.  Draft 1 and sign 1.  For WRs, I don't know what the heck we're going to do.  If we draft a guy at #10 whose main strength is "red zone target" I'll be pretty upset.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think we need 2 TEs even more urgently.  Draft 1 and sign 1.  For WRs, I don't know what the heck we're going to do.  If we draft a guy at #10 whose main strength is "red zone target" I'll be pretty upset.

Dallas can save $16 million$ by unloading Amari Cooper's contract and they have major cap issues. Would explore that opportunity first. Godwin is the only one of these 3 I would consider if the terms were right.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I 100 % want Godwin.  He fits this system like a glove and is a monster at what he does.  He'll be worth the wait.  

I'd still add a more readily available veteran WR plus draft one within the first 3 rounds.  Godwin wouldn't be the only prize this offseason at WR.

Godwin seems like(to me) a target we’d have a real shot at too.

Already won a title, so won’t necessarily be chasing that.  Not to say he won’t want to play for a winner, but might not be the end all be all.

Wasn’t a high draft pick and has already had a serious injury.  Might be looking for the biggest payday. 

Throw in that he can be at the forefront here after playing 2nd fiddle in Tampa, maybe we’d be a fit.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

JD needs to nail this draft.  He needs at least 3 immediate, impact starters in those first 4 picks (all four would be nice, but allowing for 1 guy to disappoint or get injured).  He shouldn't risk a pick on Williams to effectively "redshirt" until the 3rd round, at the earliest.

Yes, some other team will probably take him before that.  But, a good team can afford to take such a risk.  Bad teams like the Jets need more sure things, especially in the first two rounds of a draft, and extra especially b/c JD's 2020 draft is turning out so badly.

yup

58548393.jpg

• Upvote 1

No, not when we are trying to develop a young QB who needs weapons.  We need a guy where the expectation is that he will go through the entire offseason program, training camp, pre-season and regular season with the QB.  Williams tearing an ACL now is likely to miss the offseason program and best case scenario is still likely to be limited at the start of camp and into the season.  

Williams would make sense for a team with an established QB and a solid group of veteran WRs where you can afford to bring him along slowly.  We are not that team.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

No, not when we are trying to develop a young QB who needs weapons.  We need a guy where the expectation is that he will go through the entire offseason program, training camp, pre-season and regular season with the QB.  Williams tearing an ACL now is likely to miss the offseason program and best case scenario is still likely to be limited at the start of camp and into the season.  

Williams would make sense for a team with an established QB and a solid group of veteran WRs where you can afford to bring him along slowly.  We are not that team.

Saw a mock yesterday with Williams going 29th to KC.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Saw a mock yesterday with Williams going 29th to KC.

Which would make perfect sense.  Williams should be back to 100% by end of the season, so they would have him for the playoffs.  Plus, Hill and Hardman are both UFA after 2022.  Try to re-sign Hill, but let Hardman go and have a fully healthy Williams replace him for 2023.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

Pretty much

Watch Tampa Bay take him at the bottom of Round 1 as a Godwin replacement.

14 hours ago, Lith said:

Which would make perfect sense.  Williams should be back to 100% by end of the season, so they would have him for the playoffs.  Plus, Hill and Hardman are both UFA after 2022.  Try to re-sign Hill, but let Hardman go and have a fully healthy Williams replace him for 2023.

Absolutely. As I posted in another thread, only way I could see JD even thinking about it for us would be if we signed a guy like Mike Williams in FA, and also a # 1 TE. Even under those circumstances, can't see it. We just need way too much in other areas. Enjoy your first weekend in 40 years as national Champs.??