Berrios makes first team All Pro

Rhg1084

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

You two both make very good points, but at some point the Jets need to reward the players who actually play well here.

Another thing none of us have mentioned is how bad a team we are. Like it or not we have to pay a bit of a premium to retain or acquire FAs. If I were Berrios and I had comparable offers from us and a playoff level team, I’m going to the team that is a winner, I’m not signing with the doormat.

Berrios' best bet when it comes to value and usage is actually to stay here, not go to a winner.  He got WR1 snaps and targets at several points this season.  He wouldn't get that anywhere else.  With a contender (many of which already have established slot receivers), he might just get relegated to pure return man duties and only get a splash of snaps during the season.  

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Berrios' best bet when it comes to value and usage is actually to stay here, not go to a winner.  He got WR1 snaps and targets at several points this season.  He wouldn't get that anywhere else.  With a contender (many of which already have established slot receivers), he might just get relegated to pure return man duties and only get a splash of snaps during the season.  

I understand what you’re saying, but any team that tells him that’s how they view him isn’t a team he’s going to be interested in signing with.

I could be wrong, but I think he’s proven he brings value split wide, in the slot, and at KR now. I’ll be surprised if there aren’t a few teams involved in the bidding for a player like that.

We’ll find out soon enough though, assuming the he and the Jets can’t work out a deal first.

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You two both make very good points, but at some point the Jets need to reward the players who actually play well here.

Another thing none of us have mentioned is how bad a team we are. Like it or not we have to pay a bit of a premium to retain or acquire FAs. If I were Berrios and I had comparable offers from us and a playoff level team, I’m going to the team that is a winner, I’m not signing with the doormat.

BTW @FidelioJet Berrios is no way the #4 or 5 WR on this team. It’s unfair to say that.

As a WR he's essentially Moore's back-up.

Look, I like the guy but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit with him. He was the only reasonable option left on the team and performed admirably under those circumstances - but he's a somewhat limited player.

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Douglas won't get played.  I imagine he'll want him back AND will simultaneously have a good idea of what the market is dictating Berrios' worth to be. 

My guess is Berrios' agent finds out he maxes out as about a $7M a year player, so Douglas ends up paying right at that number or slightly higher.  If it goes as high as $8M, I won't be thrilled with that but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

JD only gets played by players with the last name Davis.  

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

As a WR he's essentially Moore's back-up.

Look, I like the guy but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves a bit with him. He was the only reasonable option left on the team and performed admirably under those circumstances - but he's a somewhat limited player.

what has Moore done that would make you say Berrios is nothing but his backup, and In what way is he “a somewhat limited player”? Moore is the guy you’re getting ahead of yourself with, imo.
Why do people always look to knock the players who play well here when it’s time to pay them, yet always assume the new shiny thing is better, despite proving nothing?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

LOl, what has Moore done that would make you say Berrios is nothing but his backup, and In what way is he “a somewhat limited player”?
Why do people always look to knock the players who play well here when it’s time to pay them, yet always assume the new shiny thing is better, despite proving nothing?

I do want to pay him.  I'm all for keeping him.  I like him...

I think he should be paid as a top kick/punt returner - and #4 or #5 WR.  That's what he is.

And he is exactly Moore's back up - that's pretty much his role.  They'll do similar things - line up in the slot, backfield and on the outside if necessary.  That's not to say he won't get reps if Moore is healthy but they basically do the same thing and Moore will get the bulk of those reps...

It's not a knock on Berrios that he's backing up Elijah Moore - Moore is a special talent.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I do want to pay him.  I'm all for keeping him.  I like him...

I think he should be paid as a top kick/punt returner - and #4 or #5 WR.  That's what he is.

And he is exactly Moore's back up - that's pretty much his role.  They'll do similar things - line up in the slot, backfield and on the outside if necessary.  That's not to say he won't get reps if Moore is healthy but they basically do the same thing and Moore will get the bulk of those reps...

It's not a knock on Berrios that he's backing up Elijah Moore - Moore is a special talent.

How exactly is Moore is “a special talent?” He’s a small, fast WR who couldn’t stay healthy and struggle more than he flashed when healthy, especially with Wilson as the QB.
The only time he ever looked “special” was against our defense in Training Camp, and as it turned out you would’ve probably looked special against them also... ?

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

How exactly is Moore is “a special talent?” He’s a small, fast WR who couldn’t stay healthy and struggle more than he flashed when healthy, especially with Wilson as the QB.
The only time he ever looked “special” was against our defense in Training Camp, and as it turned out you would’ve probably looked special against them also... ?

okay. You win. Braxton Berrios is better than Elijah Moore. 

• Haha 2