Should the Jets make a run at FA Center Ben Jones of the Titans?

Excellent pass blocker and run blocker in a zone scheme somewhat similar to what the Jets use.  Solid starter in Tennessee, he is PFF's #46 FA.... but he's getting older now (32).  This would be a short-term move to upgrade the IOL and give the Jets some flexibility I describe below.  Expected to be relatively cheap (Less than $7M per year).

What I like about Ben Jones besides his experience, durability and success blocking for Ryan Tannehill and Derrick Henry, is the flexibility it would give the Jets in constructing and upgrading the interior of their OLine.  Say goodbye to GVR and/or Feeney.  Move McGovern to RG, try to bring back LDT as a backup RG, and utilize a 3rd or 4th round pick in 2022 to find the starting RG for 2023 after the Jets possibly let McGovern walk.  McGovern becomes the backup Center to Ben Jones for 2022.

Without spending a ton of money the Jets assemble a starting interior group of AVT, Jones, McGovern and give themselves the flexibility to find their future RG in the Draft without the pressure of starting him in 2022.

Would this make sense?

1184609997_ScreenShot2022-01-15at1_16_34AM.thumb.png.35956645049eec442f267fad99dd41d8.png

McGovern has played well at C this years. Also not sure how I feel about McGovern switching back to a position (RG) after getting comfortable playing center his past 3 NFL season. When he was at RG it's not like he played well there. At best he was a JAG that switch to Center out of desperation or team needs. 

With that said, Ben Jones sounds like a heck of a player. Would take that same money and invest it into Daniel Jones of the Bears. But I must admit that I would favor a veteran OL over having all these prospect that many would love to add. 

• Upvote 3

Since he played decently (though certainly not great) on balance, and being a known quantity and already signed, I’m expecting them to keep McGovern. More than an incremental improvement individually I think they’ll value familiarity (unless the player’s a total fail like GVR was). They also may just like him.

One thing that could influence this going in another direction (other than simply dumping him for a perceived upgrade) are any potential extension talks with Fant: if those go nowhere I don’t think Dougals wants his veteran, starting LT and C both scheduled to hit FA at the same time after the 2022 season.

I’d still be in favor of extending/re-signing Moses, and - after Becton’s injury made Moses easily the best veteran pickup he made last year, and with so much cap space - not worry about the extra $ over a 17-game season with their other two starter tackles both having notable injury histories. But I don’t think it’ll happen, and instead they’ll go with a tackle tandem of Fant/Becton and will go with a cheaper backup RT instead. 

Then the only new face on the OL would be the RG. They may seek to bring back LDT if he’s playing and can be had in the $3-5MM range, and then take a C/G prospect on day 2. 

More or less that’s what I expect, though plenty can change depending how things shake up in FA, who’s picked ahead of us, and what opportunities there are to move down from one or both picks (I think he’s loving the luxury of having two #1s a couple drafts in a row, and understandably so, so he’ll try to replicate that again for ‘23 if he can). So, sure it’s possible they’ll take an OL pick in round 1 but I doubt it.

• Upvote 2

it’s amazing (or not) how much better mcgovern played with avt on his left side - and also with the dr on his right once he replaced gvr - fant also upped his game with the addition of avt on his right side - the ol is so dependent on all the players - one weak link and everyone’s performance suffers - so i’m willing to go into next year with mcgovern as starting center but this line has too many moving parts with becton the big time ( literally) wild card - if they want to keep fant at lt and try to move becton to the right side then i’d assume moses is gone - he wants and deserves to start somewhere - yet how can you count on becton based on injury and/or ability to switch sides? if you move fant back to the right side there’s no guarantee he plays as well as he did this year - adding a stud rg probably helps him but it’s a crap shoot - i’d say add a tackle and an interior guy and then we’d have the flexibility to juggle a bit

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

it’s amazing (or not) how much better mcgovern played with avt on his left side - and also with the dr on his right once he replaced gvr - fant also upped his game with the addition of avt on his right side - the ol is so dependent on all the players - one weak link and everyone’s performance suffers - so i’m willing to go into next year with mcgovern as starting center but this line has too many moving parts with becton the big time ( literally) wild card - if they want to keep fant at lt and try to move becton to the right side then i’d assume moses is gone - he wants and deserves to start somewhere - yet how can you count on becton based on injury and/or ability to switch sides? if you move fant back to the right side there’s no guarantee he plays as well as he did this year - adding a stud rg probably helps him but it’s a crap shoot - i’d say add a tackle and an interior guy and then we’d have the flexibility to juggle a bit

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Agreed .. we anirher gaurd more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I have consistently defended McGovern here as he seems to constantly take a beating, but there is a huge underlying problem with him that the team had to address.  For whatever reason he is awful at making the line calls at the LOS and with a young QB that is a huge issue.

We have had repeated breakdowns when facing stunts the last 2 years and that is due to MCG's seeming lack of understanding of blocking concepts.  This wouldnt be an issue with a veteran QB but I dont think ZW is ready to take over that responsibility and frankly I dont want to add that to his plate at this point in his career. 

If we can replace MCG with someone like Jones and save money then its something to look at IF he can consistently ensure we are in the right protection and block well in the system, but he is 32 so it would likely only be for 2-3 years.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Since he played decently (though certainly not great) on balance, and being a known quantity and already signed, I’m expecting them to keep McGovern. More than an incremental improvement individually I think they’ll value familiarity (unless the player’s a total fail like GVR was). They also may just like him.

One thing that could influence this going in another direction (other than simply dumping him for a perceived upgrade) are any potential extension talks with Fant: if those go nowhere I don’t think Dougals wants his veteran, starting LT and C both scheduled to hit FA at the same time after the 2022 season.

I’d still be in favor of extending/re-signing Moses, and - after Becton’s injury made Moses easily the best veteran pickup he made last year, and with so much cap space - not worry about the extra $ over a 17-game season with their other two starter tackles both having notable injury histories. But I don’t think it’ll happen, and instead they’ll go with a tackle tandem of Fant/Becton and will go with a cheaper backup RT instead. 

Then the only new face on the OL would be the RG. They may seek to bring back LDT if he’s playing and can be had in the $3-5MM range, and then take a C/G prospect on day 2. 

More or less that’s what I expect, though plenty can change depending how things shake up in FA, who’s picked ahead of us, and what opportunities there are to move down from one or both picks (I think he’s loving the luxury of having two #1s a couple drafts in a row, and understandably so, so he’ll try to replicate that again for ‘23 if he can). So, sure it’s possible they’ll take an OL pick in round 1 but I doubt it.

I totally agree with your take on this.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

McGovern has played well at C this years. Also not sure how I feel about McGovern switching back to a position (RG) after getting comfortable playing center his past 3 NFL season. When he was at RG it's not like he played well there. At best he was a JAG that switch to Center out of desperation or team needs. 

With that said, Ben Jones sounds like a heck of a player. Would take that same money and invest it into Daniel Jones of the Bears. But I must admit that I would favor a veteran OL over having all these prospect that many would love to add. 

James Daniels.

• Sympathy 1