If Zach Wilson doesn’t work out here should the Jets stop drafting QBs for a while?

NYJets43

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except the team didn’t have a bad OL, running game or receivers (when mostly healthy) this year.

Their OL was nothing short of atrocious like the first 7,8 weeks of the season. Once they started to gel and open up some holes the running game improved which in turn helped Zach play better when he came back. 

was he great ? Far from it and still with a very long way to go but at least he was better then he was the first couple of weeks. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

The players who provided that rushing attack were all Mangini holdovers. Rex improved the defense. 

Fair, but this has nothing to do with the fact that the Jets were a markedly better team in 2009-2010 than they were in 2008, outside of the QB. That’s the point. 

A rookie QB would rather play with the 2009-2010 team than any Mangini team. 

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Minshew is still on his rookie deal and did quite nicely when he got opportunities to play in Jacksonville and Philly.  Trubisky put up numbers the likes of Darnold could only dream of in Chicago, and will be a successful starter somewhere soon.  And Winston once had a 5,000+ yard, 33-TD season.  

If that’s failure then I want a piece of that.  Those 3 QBs are better than anything the Jets have trotted out in over a decade, aside from one solid season out of Fitzpatrick.

The point is not to compare them to recent Jets QB. The point is to figure out should be the Jets starting QB going forward.  If these three are so good, why aren't they on their original teams? The Bears haven't had a good QB since Sid Luckman, but they dropped Trubisky like a bad habit.  Minshew was replaced twice in Jacksonville.  Winston's 5000 yard season also came with 30 interceptions and got him a ticket out of TB.  You are just spewing SOJ nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fair, but this has nothing to do with the fact that the Jets were a markedly better team in 2009-2010 than they were in 2008, outside of the QB. That’s the point. 

A rookie QB would rather play with the 2009-2010 team than any Mangini team. 

They were Super Bowl favorites midway through 2008 after beating Tennessee. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

They were Super Bowl favorites midway through 2008 after beating Tennessee. 

Right and the 2009 team was even better.

It’s really not close.

The 2009 team was held back by a rookie QB who managed to throw 20 interceptions with the number 1 running game and defense in the league - while throwing the ball less frequently than any other team in the sport.  

If Favre was on that 2009 team, it would have been the best year of your life, until he threw a season-ending pick in Indy. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

Right and the 2009 team was even better.

It’s really not close.

The 2009 team was held back by a rookie QB who managed to throw 20 interceptions with the number 1 running game and defense in the league - while throwing the ball less frequently than any other team in the sport.  

If Favre was on that 2009 team, it would have been the best year of your life, until he threw a season-ending pick in Indy. 

Well, Favre was never going to play for Rex, so it’s kinda moot. Bummer that he got stuck with Sanchez, but he hand-picked Sanchez. The drafts post-Mangini were Maccagnanesque

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Well, Favre was never going to play for Rex, so it’s kinda moot. Bummer that he got stuck with Sanchez, but he hand-picked Sanchez. The drafts post-Mangini were Maccagnanesque

Agreed.

still doesn’t change the fact that Sanchez was a in a very good spot his first couple of years to have legit success. Talented roster, limited injuries.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The point is not to compare them to recent Jets QB. The point is to figure out should be the Jets starting QB going forward.  If these three are so good, why aren't they on their original teams? The Bears haven't had a good QB since Sid Luckman, but they dropped Trubisky like a bad habit.  Minshew was replaced twice in Jacksonville.  Winston's 5000 yard season also came with 30 interceptions and got him a ticket out of TB.  You are just spewing SOJ nonsense. 

All 3 of those QBs are better at this moment than Zach Wilson is.  But somehow posters want to find silly new reasons why we should NOT strengthen our QB room.

Its madness.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All 3 of those QBs are better at this moment than Zach Wilson is.  but somehow posters want to find silly new reason why we should NOT strengthen our QB room.

Its madness.

I have no issue bringing in a legit veteran. Nothing wrong with competition and all these guys get hurt anyway. No reason not to have multiple talented QBs on your roster in 2022 NFL. 

It's not happening because of the social norms of how young QBs are handled, but I agree with you. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have no issue bringing in a legit veteran. Nothing wrong with competition and all these guys get hurt anyway. No reason not to have multiple talented QBs on your roster in 2022 NFL. 

It's not happening because of the social norms of how young QBs are handled, but I agree with you. 

I mean, even the Chargers paired Justin Herbert with a non-threatening but capable vet in Tyrod Taylor, who started Week 1 last year and would have likely played a few more games if not for that weird chest/rib injury situation. 

Even if the Jets aren't interested in the guys I listed, Tyrod will be a FA.  Why not someone like him, at least?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Nope. You keep trying to draft and develop a QB until you have one.  

the jets will never be the type of franchise we want them to be until they can develop a good young QB. Hopefully, it ends up being Wilson. If not, there will always be another draft. 

Exactly.  Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Allen all turned their teams around (or from good to great in Mahomes’s case)

We just have to suck in the right year  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, even the Chargers paired Justin Herbert with a non-threatening but capable vet in Tyrod Taylor, who started Week 1 last year and would have likely played a few more games if not for that weird chest/rib injury situation. 

Even if the Jets aren't interested in the guys I listed, Tyrod will be a FA.  Why not someone like him, at least?

We have Flacco, bro. 

Super bowl MVP

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And yet being the only one of the top 3 picked who you can complain about his college competition, playing with the worst offensive unit of the 3, he finished ahead of Fields and barely behind Lawrence.

Fields is hot garbage.  Not gonna disagree.  

Lawrence played with an absentee head coach and idiot OC 

8 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Man, so many fans ate that sh*t up. Too bad an actual General Manager thought the same. That we drafted Zach Wilson at 2nd overall still just blows my mind. Some days I laugh, some days I’m infuriated. 

This franchise can’t get out of its own way.  Clueless owner, bad front offices, trash scouting, every head coach is worse than the previous 

Zach Wilson is trash but how did we manage to downgrade first from Bowles to Gase to Saleh?  Saleh’s horribke

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sanchez still sucked his first 2 years and ultimately failed.  Not a great argument.

He wasn’t “mediocre”.  He was bad.  Mediocre would have been an upgrade.

Actually, it makes my argument better. Even with a bad QB, the team was so strong that they made 2 championship games. I’d like to get back to watching playoff football instead of watching tear downs of the roster.

5 hours ago, maury77 said:

Actually, it makes my argument better. Even with a bad QB, the team was so strong that they made 2 championship games. I’d like to get back to watching playoff football instead of watching tear downs of the roster.

It sounds nice but it’s not sustainable.  Dominant defense isn’t a thing anymore.  You need a QB to get to the playoffs.  

12 of the 14 playoff teams this year got there in large part due to strong QB play.  The other 2 teams (Pats, Steelers) snuck in as 6 and 7 seeds and will both go one-and-done.

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All 3 of those QBs are better at this moment than Zach Wilson is.  But somehow posters want to find silly new reasons why we should NOT strengthen our QB room.

Its madness.

I don’t see them doing anything that resembles an open QB competition, but I do think they will be looking to have a solid plan B in place at the position. While maybe not “all in” on Zach, they’re definitely mostly in. Best case scenario for the Jets is Zach taking a major leap, and that’s the outcome that the entire organization will be working towards. 

But they will need the ability to pull the plug if it’s not happening, just from the CYA perspective. Another losing/double-digit loss season will just be too much for this fan base. They’ll have to have a contingency plan to save their jobs if Wilson flounders next year, imo. 

Saleh talking up Flacco, I just can’t imagine that that would be the answer. Mike White isn’t it, either. They need a QB they believe they can trust backing up Zach. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It sounds nice but it’s not sustainable.  Dominant defense isn’t a thing anymore.  You need a QB to get to the playoffs.  

12 of the 14 playoff teams this year got there in large part due to strong QB play.  The other 2 teams (Pats, Steelers) snuck in as 6 and 7 seeds and will both go one-and-done.

I agree with you that you need a QB to get to the playoffs, I just think you need a good team in place before you can develop the QB.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I agree with you that you need a QB to get to the playoffs, I just think you need a good team in place before you can develop the QB.

I disagree with that.  And I also disagree with the notion that the offense is bad.  The defense is absolutely bad, but the O was fine when healthy.  Add a couple more pieces and Wilson will already be out of excuses in year 2.