Matt Miller’s ideal draft for Jets

He took a lot of heat from OSU fans for having G Wilson as a second rounder.  Explained that he does a lot of thing well but doesn’t have any elite traits and also had six drops this season.  Also made the point to Jets fans complaining about two more OL in the first round that it’s dangerous to force receivers in the top 10 unless they are elite like Chase or Pitts and there’s no one of that caliber in this class.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

He took a lot of heat from OSU fans for having G Wilson as a second rounder.  Explained that he does a lot of thing well but doesn’t have any elite traits and also had six drops this season.  Also made the point to Jets fans complaining about two more OL in the first round that it’s dangerous to force receivers in the top 10 unless they are elite like Chase or Pitts and there’s no one of that caliber in this class.

Have no problem with where he has the prospects going. Hate this draft for the Jets. 

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Fits right in. Probably the pick at #4.?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't see how we can possibly sink two more first round picks into the OL, which played very well down the stretch.

Seems far more likely if we double dip at a position group it will be DL/EDGE.

Nothing wrong with taking a good unit and making it a strength. They certainly need Ol help. 

McGovern and Fant are on contract years and Bectons probably a bust. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

I would be so beyond pissed off with 2 first round ol. Why tf would a team with a top 15 OL with the worst defense in the league draft 2 ol with top 10 picks. Especially when there’s already 2 first round picks on the team. I’ve been pro jd this entire time, but I would instantly want him gone. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Some people would go ape if we took two oline that early but I'd be fine with it.

We do NOT need to double dip at CB, We need to double dip at TE, safety or perhaps pass rusher.

What I think we absolutely need:

• 1 Edge
  • 1 RG
  • 2 TE
  • 1 outside WR
  • 1 Safety
  • 1 OLB

That's assuming Becton and Lawson both come back healthy and that we are comfortable enough that some combination of our CBs will be capable as the #2.  Some of this may come via Free Agency, but that's a bare minimum IMO of what we need to replace/upgrade.  With 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft, we have a decent chance to fill maybe 4 of them with at least potential starters.  Hard to believe the cupboard is still so bare, but here we are.

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:14 PM, BurntDice said:

I would be so beyond pissed off with 2 first round ol. Why tf would a team with a top 15 OL with the worst defense in the league draft 2 ol with top 10 picks. Especially when there’s already 2 first round picks on the team. I’ve been pro jd this entire time, but I would instantly want him gone. 

I would not want to double OL but our OL is far from set at this point. We have Fant signed for one more year, Becton is a gigantic ????, Moses is likely gone, LDT might go become a doctor so our OL is very far from being set or even solidified. Icky or Neal could arguably be BPA at 4 and both are not just strict LT. Linderbaum is one of the best C prospects ever. Nothing wrong it making an elite unit especially if it is in the trenches. Do you think our entire offense does not improve dramatically with maybe the best OL in football?

• Upvote 4

Drafting 4 OL in the Top 15 within a span of 3 years is batsh*t insane.

If the Jets were to take Linderbaum at #10, I wouldn’t complain about it, but still…

Joe Douglas is a former OL and supposed scout extraordinaire. He should be able to find quality offensive lineman outside of the 1st round.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:46 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't see how we can possibly sink two more first round picks into the OL, which played very well down the stretch.

Seems far more likely if we double dip at a position group it will be DL/EDGE.

Depends on FA.

our right tackle is a FA, the center and left tackle (Fant) only have 1 more year I believe on their contracts

• Sympathy 1

I think two main things.

One is the Jets conceptually have four penciled in starters heading into free agency - so they could have five prior to the draft.

The other is that the OL continued to look better as the year went on. Benton looks like a good coach. Seems like a unit that would benefit from a draft and develop strategy.

Sign a free agent guard and give him give serious input into a tackle and an interior lineman he likes outside the first round. Have them be ready to play day one.

You could replace sign a guard with Neal/Ekwonu/Linderbaum and switch tackle to interior lineman outside the first round if it’s Neal/Ekwonu, just doesn’t seem like great use of resources when you could just sign a guy. But if they don’t like the value at other positions it’s feasible. Two guys feels overkill. Cross seems like he only makes sense if they move Becton or Fant, much as I like him as a player/prospect.

54 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I would not want to double OL but our OL is far from set at this point. We have Fant signed for one more year, Becton is a gigantic ????, Moses is likely gone, LDT might go become a doctor so our OL is very far from being set or even solidified. Icky or Neal could arguably be BPA at 4 and both are not just strict LT. Linderbaum is one of the best C prospects ever. Nothing wrong it making an elite unit especially if it is in the trenches. Do you think our entire offense does not improve dramatically with maybe the best OL in football?

The cowboys have emphasized the OL for the past 10 years and they haven’t done squat. They beat up on bad teams and routinely lose to the good ones. 

there are plenty of guys available in the mid rounds who can start. Darian Kinnard is a perfect example. He fits the scheme perfectly  and can play G/T. He’s projected to go in the 2nd. 

guys who you can’t find in the 2+ are safeties like Hamilton, Cbs like Gardner, Edges like Ojabo, the Wrs, etc 

teams always build their ol in the mid rounds. There is no reason to spend 4 top 15 picks on OL in 3 years. 

15 hours ago, derp said:

I think two main things.

One is the Jets conceptually have four penciled in starters heading into free agency - so they could have five prior to the draft.

The other is that the OL continued to look better as the year went on. Benton looks like a good coach. Seems like a unit that would benefit from a draft and develop strategy.

Sign a free agent guard and give him give serious input into a tackle and an interior lineman he likes outside the first round. Have them be ready to play day one.

You could replace sign a guard with Neal/Ekwonu/Linderbaum and switch tackle to interior lineman outside the first round if it’s Neal/Ekwonu, just doesn’t seem like great use of resources when you could just sign a guy. But if they don’t like the value at other positions it’s feasible. Two guys feels overkill. Cross seems like he only makes sense if they move Becton or Fant, much as I like him as a player/prospect.

Unless we sign Scherff in the offseason i am fine drafting either Neal/Ekonwu/ or Linderbaum and then calling it a day on the OL for the year.  Then if you want to sign some developmental guys Im all in on that.  But to committ two more top 10 selections to an OL that has played markedly better down the stretch, and without their hopeful franchise LT?  Just seems negligent.  

I think they are going to address most of the offense in FA this year and leave. much of the draft to adding to the defense. Especially early. We could see an inverse of last year where we used all the early picks of offense and later on developmental defensive players.  Could be this year we go defense early to get starters and then later on offensive developmental players. 

1 minute ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Nobody want to double dip on OL until Wilson is running 20 yards away from a free rusher and regresses to the point he is hiding in the Gatorade cooler.

We’ve already taken two OL in the Top 15 over the last two drafts.

Taking two more this year is ridiculous.

This team hasn’t had a quality edgerusher for the better part of 20 years. We haven’t drafted a WR in the 1st round since Santana Moss. We have the worst group of LB’s in the NFL. We’re set to start Ashtyn Davis and Elijah Riley at safety.

Jets fans need to seriously get over this obsession with forming some kind of super unit OL.

How many teams in the playoffs even have two 1st round picks on the offensive line? Much less four?

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is assuming Becton is gone?

Lack of faith in Becton could for sure influence the pick.

Moses is gone I'd think.   Fant and our center can be gone after next year.   Our right guard is a FA who may have to move to Canada to pursue his medical career.

So, by next year the Jets could need 3 new starters, providing Becton can stay healthy.   Otherwise they'll need 4.

Again, depends on FA, who you lock up for how long, but I'd be happy drafting another lineman in either the 1ST or 2nd round.

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Moses is gone I'd think.   Fant and our center can be gone after next year.   Our right guard is a FA who may have to move to Canada to pursue his medical career.

So, by next year the Jets could need 3 new starters, providing Becton can stay healthy.   Otherwise they'll need 4.

Again, depends on FA, who you lock up for how long, but I'd be happy drafting another lineman in either the 1ST or 2nd round.

I'm certainly not opposed to taking an OL. I was more talking about the idea that we'd take two at 4 and 10 which strikes me as unnecessary and unlikely.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This team hasn’t had a quality edgerusher for the better part of 20 years. We haven’t drafted a WR in the 1st round since Santana Moss. We have the worst group of LB’s in the NFL. We’re set to start Ashtyn Davis and Elijah Riley at safety.

Jets fans need to seriously get over this obsession with forming some kind of super unit OL.

How many teams in the playoffs even have two 1st round picks on the offensive line? Much less four?

You know any other time I would agree but it’s obvious this kid needs a solid OL to succeed. I would prefer at least one in the first. 

7 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

You know any other time I would agree but it’s obvious this kid needs a solid OL to succeed. I would prefer at least one in the first. 

I just don’t understand it

Like I said, Joe Douglas is a former OL with a strong scouting background. You’d think he’d be capable of finding a quality starting OL outside of the 1st round.

To me a guy like Zion Johnson or Darian Kinnard at #35 or #38 represents more value than a Neal, Cross or Linderbaum in the Top 10.

Getting an edgerusher with one of those 1st rounders is essential IMO. Guys like Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Karlaftis and Ojabo may not be in that Chase Young/Myles Garrett/Nick Bosa stratosphere, but they’re still Top 10 worthy. We have no idea what kind of player Lawson will be when he comes back. And even if he comes back at full strength, we still need another passrusher.

Then there’s a dude like Hamilton. A 6’4 220 all-around playmaker who would instantly make a difference on the backend of the defense and most likely be a cornerstone of the unit for a decade.

A pair of LB’s in Dean and Lloyd, either of which could make a massive difference lining up to Mosley next year instead of JAGS like Jarrad Davis, Quincy Williams, Jamien Sherwood, etc.

And as much as I don’t really want to take a CB, at least it’s a premium position and you have guys like Gardner, Stingley and Booth who are legitimate Top 15 selections.

I have zero issues with the Jets continuing to improve the OL. I just don’t see why it has to strictly be done with high 1st round picks.

27 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm certainly not opposed to taking an OL. I was more talking about the idea that we'd take two at 4 and 10 which strikes me as unnecessary and unlikely.

Agree.

One of those 2 picks should go to the best defensive player available, whether that be pass rusher at 4, or if o line at 4, then linebacker, safety or pass rusher at 10.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

The WR group in this draft is terrible, though. If we draft one at 10 (let alone 4) I'll be shocked

I know almost nothing about the 2022 NFL draft, but from what I have read I think it is more likely that Linderbaum lasts to 35 than Wilson.

I wonder what the team thinks about CB, S and TE.

I think Jets fans are hung up on Kittle, but I don't think they are necessarily have that at the top of their shopping list. If they can get one sure, but I think they want weapons and if WR is a better value that is where they will go.  I think their TEs will have to want to block. 

They seemed to do okay with the the low level CBs they have, but I think some of that was smoke and mirrors.  Whenever they manned up they seemed to get beat.  I think they will want to add some, but I'm not sure if they will want to go high level.  They need safeties.  It will be interesting to see how they prioritize - SF and Seattle had some pretty good safeties. 

I think pass rush is priority one and almost everyone agrees on that.  They do have Lawson and Curry coming back, but that can be a nice floor or absolutely nothing.  Hard to say.

5 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The WR group in this draft is terrible, though. If we draft one at 10 (let alone 4) I'll be shocked

Ultimately, I don’t think we’ll draft a wideout in the 1st round either. I honestly think the most likely scenario is that Douglas goes the trade route and gives up one of those high 2nd rounders for a guy like Cooper or Ridley.

But I still would take an EDGE and either Hamilton or a LB like Dean/Lloyd in the 1st round over another OL.

With that being said, I’m still not going to flip my sh*t if we take Linderbaum at #10.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I just don’t understand it

Like I said, Joe Douglas is a former OL with a strong scouting background. You’d think he’d be capable of finding a quality starting OL outside of the 1st round.

To me a guy like Zion Johnson or Darian Kinnard at #35 or #38 represents more value than a Neal, Cross or Linderbaum in the Top 10.

Getting an edgerusher with one of those 1st rounders is essential IMO. Guys like Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Karlaftis and Ojabo may not be in that Chase Young/Myles Garrett/Nick Bosa stratosphere, but they’re still Top 10 worthy. We have no idea what kind of player Lawson will be when he comes back. And even if he comes back at full strength, we still need another passrusher.

Then there’s a dude like Hamilton. A 6’4 220 all-around playmaker who would instantly make a difference on the backend of the defense and most likely be a cornerstone of the unit for a decade.

A pair of LB’s in Dean and Lloyd, either of which could make a massive difference lining up to Mosley next year instead of JAGS like Jarrad Davis, Quincy Williams, Jamien Sherwood, etc.

And as much as I don’t really want to take a CB, at least it’s a premium position and you have guys like Gardner, Stingley and Booth who are legitimate Top 15 selections.

I have zero issues with the Jets continuing to improve the OL. I just don’t see why it has to strictly be done with high 1st round picks.

Can’t argue with what your saying especially with Edge and the secondary, as you know it depends on  what happens in FA. I am just looking at what I perceive to be the Jets priorities and to me  it’s Wilson and his development and we see how injuries on the OL hamper a QB. To me Fant and AVT are the only 2 that I would depend on for next year. Becton would have me worried if I was the GM and that’s on JD and the coaching staff as they should know hopefully) what’s going on with Becton. Can we find value at OL in the 2nd sure, it’s a plus we are coaching at the senior bowl. I know I may be in the minority but I can definitely see them looking at a player like Hamilton and I wouldn’t hate it. I wouldn’t mind Gardner either. 

We need defensive help badly can see the 2 picks in the first being an O and D pick depending how the board falls.  I think a lot needs to play out over the next few months. 

• Upvote 1