“Sources” Confirm what many speculated about Becton

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Welcome to being a rookie GM in a season where you can't actually meet with the players to get a feel for them. 

Yeah I get it. But everyone knew the concerns with Becton coming out regarding his size. The only guy I can think of who is around his size in Trent Brown for the Patriots. 

To be fair, I was more concerned about his ability to pass block, which wasn't really an issue for him. But there were concerns about his durability. 

20 hours ago, munchmemory said:

The following is what Andrew Luck said concerning his walking away from the NFL.   Maybe we will hear a similar sentiment from Becton sooner rather than later.  

"This is not an easy decision. Honestly, it's the hardest decision of my life. But it is the right decision for me," Luck told reporters after Indianapolis' preseason game Saturday night. "For the last four years or so, I've been in this cycle of injury, pain, rehab, injury, pain, rehab, and it's been unceasing, unrelenting, both in-season and offseason, and I felt stuck in it. The only way I see out is to no longer play football."

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-qb-andrew-luck-announces-his-retirement-0ap3000001044124

I wouldn't  say Becton has had the injury issues Luck had. Not even close. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't given up on Becton yet. Even though I would have drafted Wirfs instead, Becton was pretty good his rookie season. As far was what really happened this year, we can speculate all day about whether laziness or lack of discipline led to him missing essentially the entire season, but the only way we will really know is how he looks when he shows up next season. If he shows up between 340-350, we will know he means business. If not, ......

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I told you this over the phone the other day:

Mekhi Becton made multiple posts on social media, over the course of the season, promoting his “Grand Theft Auto V Role Playing Server” Twitch streams.  He just made another one the other night.  He has made 0 posts, to date, of him and his rehab.

The true problem isn’t his weight.  He’s shown that he can shed that sh*t when he wants.  From what I understand, as of today, he is pretty much where he left off, size-wise.  His problem is his attitude.  He needs to grow the f*ck up and start taking football seriously.

I get the feeling Becton may be dealt after next season. I think there is a legit chance we take Neal at #4 with the intention of him or Becton being our starting Tackles long term but with Fant having another year it allows us to have a back up plan if we decide to trade Becton.

I don't mean to be crass .. but i remember when he was drafted ... and seeing his Dad? ... wondering if genetics might make it hard for this kid to keep his weight down. Dude come from big family ... hope there is a way ... but the laws of nature might be tough to overcome.

Hoping i am wrong ... guy is very talented and good player when healthy and fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You’re not wrong and it’s not crass. We are so strongly influenced subconsciously by our parents when we are kids. My suspicion is the Becton household’s eating habits are downright grotesque compared to an average healthy family. His father is pushing 500 pounds from the looks of it. It’s all Becton has known for the majority of his life. Principles of the mimetic desires of human nature shows either a kid will follow in the habits of their parents or resent them entirely. In other words, kids of extremely obese parents due to poor eating habits either grow up to be extremely obese as well or they become the polar opposite health nuts out of resentment. There’s rarely an in between. Becton clearly is not in the resentment camp.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

I’m think we’re going to know all there is to know about Becton by TC this summer. If he shows up in shape and ready to go, all is forgiven and it just comes down to whether or not he’s good enough to be a top level tackle on either side of the line. That’s my “reasonable side” talking.
The devil on my shoulder is saying see if we can dump this slob in a trade for Ridley asap.

Never a talk that he was too fat and too lazy.
actually, his mother was bigger!

I don’t know how to post pics, but your statement is patently false. His mother is overweight but she’s not bigger than his dad, it’s not even close. And ALL the talk leading up to the draft was his weight, and if you go back and look at articles of him coming out of high school he was challenged to get himself under 400 pounds. Weight has ALWAYS been his issue.

The Jets should neither count on Becton next year nor write him off.

Lightly pencil him in as the 4th OT this offseason.  Starters: Fant and a veteran stop-gap (hopefully Moses, but a free agent if necessary) on a 1 or 2 year deal. I'd overpay Moses for a year to try to keep him, but avoid 3 years or longer.  Swing tackle: draft a good young prospect somewhere in rounds 2-3.  Supposedly the draft is very deep at OT this year, so no need to take one in round one.  This guy should not be expected to start right away, mabye later if a starter goes down.

If Becton comes back strong, that's great...they could use the depth, and maybe he reclaims a starter role.

Having said that, I won't be surprised at all if JD takes an OT in round one. Fant had some knee issues late in the season.  The Jets really need a young developmental OT, and McDermott/Edoga are not it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I don’t know how to post pics, but your statement is patently false. His mother is overweight but she’s not bigger than his dad, it’s not even close. And ALL the talk leading up to the draft was his weight, and if you go back and look at articles of him coming out of high school he was challenged to get himself under 400 pounds. Weight has ALWAYS been his issue.

He was a top prospect. Nobody questioned his work ethic.

No one said that he shouldn’t be selected because of his size.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Oh my God dude, you’re doubling down on nonsense. His weight, and by proxy his work ethic, was the number one issue of his by far. You’re dying on the wrong hill buddy.

Look, you disagree with me that’s all great! All I’m saying is that if you remember when he was picked, nobody questioned his size. In fact, people marvelled at how big and agile he was. NO ONE said, oh no don’t draft him, he’s too big!

If you wish to tie the fact that he’s a big guy with the fact that he didn’t heal fast enough for you, good for you, but I disagree.People want label him lazy and have no evidence, that’s just premature opinion making which happens lots on this site.

We don’t know what we don’t know. The jury’s still out. I remain optimistic that he’ll be back in full form next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Look, you disagree with me that’s all great! All I’m saying is that if you remember when he was picked, nobody questioned his size. In fact, people marvelled at how big and agile he was. NO ONE said, oh no don’t draft him, he’s too big!

If you wish to tie the fact that he’s a big guy with the fact that he didn’t heal fast enough for you, good for you, but I disagree.People want label him lazy and have no evidence, that’s just premature opinion making which happens lots on this site.

We don’t know what we don’t know. The jury’s still out. I remain optimistic that he’ll be back in full form next year.

Everything about this post is wrong. 

Clearly you were not present in the Mekhi Becton thread on the draft day. A stellar 67.9% of this very board were screaming at the top of their lungs that dude was too big and fat, and generally we (as a board) know better than the talking heads on ESPN. 

I should know, I was one of em. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes a massive man who needs to workout to maintain his weight.

He couldn't work out

May have gained some weight.

Shocking and hardly makes him a question mark.  His ability to stay healthy could be, but when he was working out he got into shape.   We've all seen the video

Weight is mostly a product of diet.  He needs to lose weight not maintain it.  

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Yeah I get it. But everyone knew the concerns with Becton coming out regarding his size. The only guy I can think of who is around his size in Trent Brown for the Patriots. 

To be fair, I was more concerned about his ability to pass block, which wasn't really an issue for him. But there were concerns about his durability. 

Yup.  There was.  LOTS of players have durability issues.  He might need a few years learning how to train properly to protect himself from injury.  He may never get there.  He was a boom or bust pick. 

Out of all the Tackles taken, Tristen Wirfs looks the best.  But everything I personally read on him says he would be best playing RT.  While we needed a RT, we needed a LT more.  Now, hindsight being what it is, had we have taken Wirfs and left Fant at LT, we would be set.  Crystal balls are a great thing, if only they were real when it came to draft prognostications. 

Again, I think we are all disappointed with the first draft.  It has, so far, set us back a bit.  That said, I completely understand considering JD was a rookie GM and he was not allowed to interview players in person.  His second draft, so far, looking good.  This next one will go a long way in determining his fate. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Weight is mostly a product of diet.  He needs to lose weight not maintain it.  

And the kid turns 23 in April. Anybody on this website here who used to fill there face with whatever they wanted when they were 23 and didn't gain weight?  

He probably needs to work with a nutritionist.  I honestly don't think some of these young guys get what it takes to be a modern pro athlete, and the spark of being one may very well disappear once you realize the work and effort it takes.  

Becton might be one of them.  Becton might come back next year and solidify one of the tackle positions.  Time will tell. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yup.  There was.  LOTS of players have durability issues.  He might need a few years learning how to train properly to protect himself from injury.  He may never get there.  He was a boom or bust pick. 

Out of all the Tackles taken, Tristen Wirfs looks the best.  But everything I personally read on him says he would be best playing RT.  While we needed a RT, we needed a LT more.  Now, hindsight being what it is, had we have taken Wirfs and left Fant at LT, we would be set.  Crystal balls are a great thing, if only they were real when it came to draft prognostications. 

Again, I think we are all disappointed with the first draft.  It has, so far, set us back a bit.  That said, I completely understand considering JD was a rookie GM and he was not allowed to interview players in person.  His second draft, so far, looking good.  This next one will go a long way in determining his fate. 

And a lot of people were killing the signing of Fant.

@Defense Wins Championships must have had 1000 posts why he sucked. 

Lol poor schmuck. 

Everything about this post is wrong. 
Clearly you were not present in the Mekhi Becton thread on the draft day. A stellar 67.9% of this very board were screaming at the top of their lungs that dude was too big and fat, and generally we (as a board) know better than the talking heads on ESPN. 
I should know, I was one of em. 
Yeah i was there... i had and still have hope.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

From NFL.com’s draft profile-literally the #1 weakness was weight issues. I’m not even bothering with this, go look up on Google every single article on him predraft mentioned weight would be his biggest issue and lo and behind, here he is today with weight issues. He’s a man slated to make millions of dollars playing a game he loves. He has literally every tool and resource available to be in the best shape he can possibly be in at all times yet he still has weight problems. Why? Because he’s lazy and undisciplined.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mekhi-becton/32004245-4381-4547-3cf4-9d445d134d9a

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Then you’re not paying attention. Stop posting and start googling.

Instead of telling me what to do maybe you should follow your own advice; if you don't like my opinion - ignore it or refute it.

Secondly, the title and the video all say 'sources confirm what many have suspected' if he had been called out for being lazy than it would not have been suspected and sources wouldn't be confirming anything as Saleh and LaFluer would be the. most knowledgable sources and it would have ALREADY been confirmed. So, maybe it isn't me that isn't paying attention.

Simple logic, but hey - I guess you can't google for logic.. 

Jets have no choice but to consider a tackle prospect in the 1st rd......

Fant - looked very good but small sample size

Moses - solid but not great. wants a multi year deal. 30/31 - how many years left does he have?

Becton - we all know we cant count on this guy

6 minutes ago, Barton said:

Jets have no choice but to consider a tackle prospect in the 1st rd......

Fant - looked very good but small sample size

Moses - solid but not great. wants a multi year deal. 30/31 - how many years left does he have?

Becton - we all know we cant count on this guy

I truly believe if Neal is there at 4 they're taking him.

I don't think he will be though.