“Sources” Confirm what many speculated about Becton

Gotta give him a second chance to rehab his knee and stop filling up the shopping cart. I don’t understand why the Jets don’t give the big fat guys incentives to be at a certain playing weight (they did it with the linebackers lol) and fine them if they go over it. The Jets did this with Jason furgeson a long time ago. 

im an old man and not a professional athlete and I’m on month 5 of rehab and I’m taking it very seriously. Part of the blame has to go on the Jets too for not nipping it in the bud with him gorging himself (supposedly by some reports lol)

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Origen said:

Then why ask the question?  Seems pretty stupid to me.  Or are all the other draft picks all-pro's too and just not the ones the Jets got?  OR is it just a lazy cop out to a crap-shoot draft that some teams lucked out in and others didn't?  Guess we'll all just have to wonder, huh?

I mean listening to Becton and Mims for 5 minutes would have made them  undraftable to most. This isn’t that hard to figure out. Douglas slept walked through the 2020 draft process.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I mean listening to Becton and Mims for 5 minutes would have made them  undraftable to most. This isn’t that hard to figure out. Douglas slept walked through the 2020 draft process.

Well then JD did a hell of a job with those trade downs to get the extra picks along with Mims.  See?  This is all stupid.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Normally, I’d agree.  When it comes to the guy that has been lacking in maturity, I’d like him to be a little more self aware.  When people are questioning where you are, wondering if something happened with your rehab, maybe it’s a bad look to advertise that you are streaming video games.  It’s an even worse look when it comes out that your rehab went poorly.

But rehab can go poorly for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes you just have set backs cause joints don't respond the right way.

I'm all for the young man reducing his body fat if it's overkill. I think too much is made of bulking these young guys up just for them to be unnaturally huge. But it's also possible that he just had a complicated rehab period which doesn't surprise me for a man of his size with knee injury.

Again I'm not gonna say they would be crazy to pick a tackle high, because at worst if you get a stud LT and Becton pans out as a stud RT you have Jason Peters/Lane Johnson situation. Oh the horror lol. But to write the guy off and try to trade him? I think that's foolish unless he is truly not dedicating to the craft. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Cross is who they'd take if Ticket is traded.

I think you can take him even if you keep Becton. There is no rule against having two elite tackles. The most efficient way to win in the NFL is to pay your OL, DL and QB. I actually think corners are not great in terms of bang for your buck both in the draft and FA. Same goes for LBs and WRs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Completely untrue, his weight was a major issue in college as well. His weight is a major issue now and will continue to be. Go find a picture of his father, those are the habits he grew up with. That’s what he’s destined to look like.

Never a talk that he was too fat and too lazy.

actually, his mother was bigger!

51 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You’re kidding, right? Every single draft report states that his weight could be an issue. In fact, it’s the first negative/weakness listed on each one I literally just googled. 

He’s a big man. No report ever said he was lazy.

come on leave the big man alone.

He’ll  be back next year

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

My son is a good Jet fan and has a really good understanding of the game.  He learned well.  But he’s in his 20’s and lives and dies with this god forsaken team just like I was in my younger days.  It’s good that we don’t always agree

we were all there in our 20s. i think it had to do with being close with your friends and hearing their crap because they are Giant fans.

but then we grow up. friends move away and start their own families. then its just you and the Jets and you realize that Micky Mantle does pay your mortage (a Bronx Tale). or in this case Woody Johnson. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Pretty sure every team dealt with that. 

but not every GM drafts the same. those covid restrictions might have affected JD style more than others. we will know more next year when we see what the 2022 draft does. if there as good as 2021 then its proof those restrictions hurt JDs evaluations.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Here's the deal. I've been a fan of this team and of football in general for a long time. In that time, I learned not to buy rumors and sources. However, I also learned where there is significant smoke, there is at least some fire. 

With Becton there is significant smoke. You don't need to be an insider to see it. His coaches have alluded to issues, his teammates have alluded to issues. Chances are, they guy has some issue. Is it as cut and dry as "he's fat and lazy"? I dunno, but there's clearly something wrong here. To deny that is delusional. 

I haven't actually seen smoke, I have only heard some blow hards who 'know things' and 'hear things'.  I have also seen where there is no media input, media will make up stories or listen to unreliable sources. They may be 100% correct. Even so, it doesn't make Becton lazy.

These are some of the same people calling ZW out as selfish by sneaking it on 4th and 2. There was no body talking, so the media made stuff up, which forced the coaches to speak up.

How many times has the media created smoke only to find out there wasn't really a story? yes, they could be right, but they could be wrong. I am hoping for wrong, but they could be right.

• WTF? 1

7 hours ago, munchmemory said:

The following is what Andrew Luck said concerning his walking away from the NFL.   Maybe we will hear a similar sentiment from Becton sooner rather than later.  

"This is not an easy decision. Honestly, it's the hardest decision of my life. But it is the right decision for me," Luck told reporters after Indianapolis' preseason game Saturday night. "For the last four years or so, I've been in this cycle of injury, pain, rehab, injury, pain, rehab, and it's been unceasing, unrelenting, both in-season and offseason, and I felt stuck in it. The only way I see out is to no longer play football."

https://www.nfl.com/news/colts-qb-andrew-luck-announces-his-retirement-0ap3000001044124

Except that Becton's suffering is self created by over eating.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Also, as someone stated earlier in the thread, covid was fresh during the pre-draft screening process which I'm sure skewed his perception of these guys a bit

Hoping for the best with Becton and he regains his form and health. That being said he reminds me of former top pick Leonard  Davis who struggled on the outside but moved inside on the line and had a lengthy and productive career. 

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I haven't actually seen smoke, I have only heard some blow hards who 'know things' and 'hear things'.  I have also seen where there is no media input, media will make up stories or listen to unreliable sources. They may be 100% correct. Even so, it doesn't make Becton lazy.

These are some of the same people calling ZW out as selfish by sneaking it on 4th and 2. There was no body talking, so the media made stuff up, which forced the coaches to speak up.

How many times has the media created smoke only to find out there wasn't really a story? yes, they could be right, but they could be wrong. I am hoping for wrong, but they could be right.

Dude. His coach called him out. On TV. In front of a live audience. Lafleur and Saleh.

This isn't media making sh*t up.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Just way too risky of a player for Joe Douglas to use his first ever draft pick on.

I hated the pick on draft night, Becton won me over with his strong play as a rookie, but this has always been a big part of his issues. Can he keep his weight in order and given his size, is he going to be a player who can stay healthy? 

We're discussing using another premium draft pick on a tackle because Becton is a massive question mark. Not good. 

Welcome to being a rookie GM in a season where you can't actually meet with the players to get a feel for them. 

Becton was an absolute fat,lazy slug until his senor year in college. Google it! Going for the money and high draft selection, he worked hard for one year of his life. Now its back to who he really is. I would trade him now and get something. Fant at LT. After another season at 375 lb and being late to meetings and practice and unmotivated, the entire league will be up to date and he will have zero value.

PS- Isnt it scary that Joe Douglas is really awful at evaluating O-lineman?..... Becton, Van Rotten, McGovern, Lewis.

• Upvote 1

I don't mean to be crass .. but i remember when he was drafted ... and seeing his Dad? ... wondering if genetics might make it hard for this kid to keep his weight down. Dude come from big family ... hope there is a way ... but the laws of nature might be tough to overcome.

Hoping i am wrong ... guy is very talented and good player when healthy and fit.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, #90 said:

Becton was an absolute fat,lazy slug until his senor year in college. Google it! Going for the money and high draft selection, he worked hard for one year of his life. Now its back to who he really is. I would trade him now and get something. Fant at LT. After another season at 375 lb and being late to meetings and practice and unmotivated, the entire league will be up to date and he will have zero value.

PS- Isnt it scary that Joe Douglas is really awful at evaluating O-lineman?..... Becton, Van Rotten, McGovern, Lewis.

Gonna bump this thread after JD trades him for a second and Becton becomes all pro on another team

18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I told you this over the phone the other day:

Mekhi Becton made multiple posts on social media, over the course of the season, promoting his “Grand Theft Auto V Role Playing Server” Twitch streams.  He just made another one the other night.  He has made 0 posts, to date, of him and his rehab.

The true problem isn’t his weight.  He’s shown that he can shed that sh*t when he wants.  From what I understand, as of today, he is pretty much where he left off, size-wise.  His problem is his attitude.  He needs to grow the f*ck up and start taking football seriously.

Exactly correct.  Add in the tweets about his custom pick up truck that he had done while “rehabbing” his injury.   

I said this when he got injured, Becton like being an NFL player more than he likes actually playing NFL football.  

• Post of the Week 2