Jump to content

Zach Wilson incompletions highlights


k-met57
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

Sure.  But put this next to the reel of “Zach Wilson’s off-target throws where his WR bails him out” and you’re looking at a longer video.

Its just hard to understand, given Nania’s typical content these days, how we were only a 4-win team.

Why didn’t Mike White get more of a chance this year?  Not only did he beat the bengals (who won yesterday btw) he was playing well against the colts before getting injured

 

JD is so worried about Wilson panning out he’s forgetting his job is secure if White bails him out

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Please don’t waste another talented kid Jets

FWIW we drafted offense with our top 4 picks last year plus signed a WR.  JD seems pretty aware the O needs help and poured resources into it last year 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ray Ryan said:

Why didn’t Mike White get more of a chance this year?  Not only did he beat the bengals (who won yesterday btw) he was playing well against the colts before getting injured

 

JD is so worried about Wilson panning out he’s forgetting his job is secure if White bails him out

I don’t know, but which recently banned poster are you?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

FWIW we drafted offense with our top 4 picks last year plus signed a WR.  JD seems pretty aware the O needs help and poured resources into it last year 

agree. question is whats next? the defense clearly needs help, but we also still need TE, OL, WR and probably RB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Sure.  But put this next to the reel of “Zach Wilson’s off-target throws where his WR bails him out” and you’re looking at a longer video.

Its just hard to understand, given Nania’s typical content these days, how we were only a 4-win team.

You could make one of these videos for every single QB in the league. Are we going to present a dropped interceptions video too?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty much every QB could have a highlight reel of throws where receivers let them down. The frustrating ones for me were those deep balls early in the season that should have been caught. Moore had a brutal drop against the Panthers and Davis had a brutal one against the Broncos. Those were good throws that showed the special arm talent that Zach Wilson does have. Griffin dropping that TD against the Texans was frustrating as well. 

But Zach's adjusted completion percentage was 69.9%. That would still put him outside the top 25 QB's in that category as well. Jets receivers are not the only receivers who drop passes.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Pretty much every QB could have a highlight reel of throws where receivers let them down. The frustrating ones for me were those deep balls early in the season that should have been caught. Moore had a brutal drop against the Panthers and Davis had a brutal one against the Broncos. Those were good throws that showed the special arm talent that Zach Wilson does have. Griffin dropping that TD against the Texans was frustrating as well. 

But Zach's adjusted completion percentage was 69.9%. That would still put him outside the top 25 QB's in that category as well. Jets receivers are not the only receivers who drop passes.

That's fair but Wilson also got little to no help in the way of WR's making plays for him -Rarely did we see plays where I went - wow! what a great catch by one of the WR's....or a WR fighting through a DB to come down the ball, 

We certainly had WR's get open and make nice plays - that's not what I'm talking about though...

Watching guys like Diggs and Chase yesterday you realize just how important having guys that can regularly get open, catch the ball and make plays really help these QB's..

Sometimes young QBs need help..

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, chirorob said:

DK is the last guy I'd want to pay.

No, the tight end on the Cowboys as a FA?  Dalton Schultz, hasn't missed a game in 3 years, 150 catches in the last 2.

Not a game breaker, but something that could really help Zach.   Dependable, over the middle, move the chains.

He'd be perfect.  For one hes not like Gesicki, he actually blocks, and does it well.  150 catches over the last two seasons, with Daks injury says he can get free and catch.  He has to be a target for JD

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That's fair but Wilson also got little to no help in the way of WR's making plays for him -Rarely did we see plays where I went - wow! what a great catch by one of the WR's....or a WR fighting through a DB to come down the ball, 

No offense, but then you're weren't really watching.  There were several catches made that were all the WR, not the bad, behind, or inaccurate pass.

No need to hate on our WR's to prop up our QB.  They had their drops, too many (mostly Davis, Moore early and the RB's), but they also saved Wilson more than a few times.  

Hopefully Wilson fixes his accuracy issues, and the WR's fix their dropsy issues, in 2022.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Unquestionably a few bad drops in there, but also some pretty bad throws shown that are a bit much to be trying to celebrate Wilson for.

Drops happen throughout the NFL and the Jets certainly weren't the worst in that regard, so unless anyone wants to go through and give the rest of the league's QBs extra credit for their drops too, let's not pretend like that does anything to change what actually happened.  Guys like Allen and Herbert actually had it worse, but seemed to somehow manage.

Except the Jets led the league in dropped passes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No offense, but then you're weren't really watching.  There were several catches made that were all the WR, not the bad, behind, or inaccurate pass.

No need to hate on our WR's to prop up our QB.  They had their drops, but they also saved Wilson more than a few times.  

Hopefully Wilson fixes his accuracy issues, and the WR's fix their dropsy issues, in 2022.

LOL. Our receivers were terrible. Doesn’t mean Zach wasn’t bad also. But the receivers (all players that went out for passes) left a lot to be desired. Both things can be true 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except the Jets led the league in dropped passes

A quick googling found this:

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Listing of individual "leaders" in dropped pass players.

Our worst was ranked 16th, a RB (Johnson), with 5.  

Davis does not appear on the list (surprisingly).  Nor does Moore.

This is the same source (NBC Sports), but team dropped passes.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

The Jets are listed 5th, not 1st.

I find it interesting that the difference between being 5th and being 20th is only 5 drops, over 17 games.  Or one drop per three games. 

Hardly make or break for a QB throwing it 30-40 times a game at that level of variance.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ray Ryan said:

Why didn’t Mike White get more of a chance this year?  Not only did he beat the bengals (who won yesterday btw) he was playing well against the colts before getting injured

 

JD is so worried about Wilson panning out he’s forgetting his job is secure if White bails him out

Because hes a backup QB who filled in for an injured starting QB, which is his job.  Then add in that starters dont lose their jobs to injury.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No offense, but then you're weren't really watching.  There were several catches made that were all the WR, not the bad, behind, or inaccurate pass.

No need to hate on our WR's to prop up our QB.  They had their drops, too many (mostly Davis, Moore early and the RB's), but they also saved Wilson more than a few times.  

Hopefully Wilson fixes his accuracy issues, and the WR's fix their dropsy issues, in 2022.

I would love to see a video like this of all the great plays and bailing out of Zach Wilson you're referencing....I suspect it would be quite short.

Again, no one here is saying Zach was good this year...

But for the most part the WR's weren't good either.  

Young, struggling QB's can use the help of WR's making his life easier.  I just don't think we got that this year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Unquestionably a few bad drops in there, but also some pretty bad throws shown that are a bit much to be trying to celebrate Wilson for.

Drops happen throughout the NFL and the Jets certainly weren't the worst in that regard, so unless anyone wants to go through and give the rest of the league's QBs extra credit for their drops too, let's not pretend like that does anything to change what actually happened.  Guys like Allen and Herbert actually had it worse, but seemed to somehow manage.

Not the worst, but according to this link they were tied for fourth worst in the league in the category with 25. For rookie comparisons, the Jags also had 25, the Bears had 18, Denver 16, and the Cheats just 10 (second best in the league). Herbert did indeed have it the worst (33), but Allen didn’t (22). Poor Sam was victimized, too, with 28. 
 
Jets need some guys who can catch. 
 
http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except that's not actually true at all, by any measure, despite some having falsely thrown that out around here.

Well I've seen it and heard it that he was.  I will freely admit I didnt go through everyones dropped passes % but its definitely been reported.  

I'd bet if not the worst hes top 5, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A quick googling found this:

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Listing of individual "leaders" in dropped pass players.

Our worst was ranked 16th, a RB (Johnson), with 5.  

Davis does not appear on the list (surprisingly).  Nor does Moore.

This is the same source (NBC Sports), but team dropped passes.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

The Jets are listed 5th, not 1st.

I find it interesting that the difference between being 5th and being 20th is only 5 drops, over 17 games.  Or one drop per three games. 

Hardly make or break for a QB throwing it 30-40 times a game at that level of variance.

 

Yes, drops are all over the league.  

I think they stood out to us more precisely because Wilson was struggling.  

Points were hard to come by for the Jets this year - and frankly, at times, completions were hard to come by for Wilson - so those drops just felt like a gut punch.  

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No offense, but then you're weren't really watching.  There were several catches made that were all the WR, not the bad, behind, or inaccurate pass.

No need to hate on our WR's to prop up our QB.  They had their drops, too many (mostly Davis, Moore early and the RB's), but they also saved Wilson more than a few times.  

Hopefully Wilson fixes his accuracy issues, and the WR's fix their dropsy issues, in 2022.

Every pass doesnt have to be on the numbers and arent.  Watch other QBs, they throw passes behind receivers that are caught all the time.  Happens and is a part of the game.  Its part of what differentiates the really good WRs from the ones that suck.  High passes that arent caught not are considered dropped passes but are incompletions put on the QB.  If he has the kind of WR who catches those balls, he gains completions, its just the way it is.   Its why I say that in football stats by themselves dont always work, you have to look at them in context.  

Not hating our receivers to prop up Wilson, calling our receivers for what they are.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of those were brutal, no doubt, but this isnt that uncommon, drops happen, tips happen, you see it all the time.  That said, if you did a video of the amount of balls Zach dirted or just egregiously missed it would be painful to watch.  So these videos are fun but biased and never really prove the narrative it's trying to prove. 

Do the Jets need to upgrade their weaponz?  Yes. Absolutely.  Were the weaponz the reason Zach Wilson was awful at times?  No.  Absolutely not.  Just as many egregious misses as there were drops and the other side of this coin is, we saw how the offense ticked when Zach was on the sidelines.

To me, that's encouraging because I do think we saw some growth from Zach to finish the season and if that growth continues, his weaponz really only need a few pieces instead of an overhaul.  IMO, all this offense really needs is an upgrade at TE, IOL, WR in that order and it could as strong as it's been since I dont know when.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Not the worst, but according to this link they were tied for fourth worst in the league in the category with 25. For rookie comparisons, the Jags also had 25, the Bears had 18, Denver 16, and the Cheats just 10 (second best in the league). Herbert did indeed have it the worst (33), but Allen didn’t (22). Poor Sam was victimized, too, with 28. 
 
Jets need some guys who can catch. 
 
http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Yeah, the Jets certainly weren't great, but it just doesn't go with the narrative from some around here that the Jets were far and away the worst, which doesn't hold up.  I'll admit I was looking at PFR's #s, which for the most part the rankings are pretty close to those, but interesting that Buffalo seems to be the most dramatically different (PFR has them second worst, with 36 drops, behind 38 drops from the Chargers).

Regardless, the list pretty clearly shows that drops don't redefine a QB.  There's great QBs who managed to do just fine despite many, many drops, while crappy QBs who still sucked despite very low drop #s.

The Jets could certainly use some upgrades at WR, and you know, every other position in football, but this is still just the most recent version of the long-running narrative of why Jets QBs sucking must always be the fault of everyone but the QB himself.  We saw how that just turned out with Darnold for some of those around here excitedly waited to throw out the "told ya so"s that never came.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Some of those were brutal, no doubt, but this isnt that uncommon, drops happen, tips happen, you see it all the time.  That said, if you did a video of the amount of balls Zach dirted or just egregiously missed it would be painful to watch.  So these videos are fun but biased and never really prove the narrative it's trying to prove. 

Do the Jets need to upgrade their weaponz?  Yes. Absolutely.  Were the weaponz the reason Zach Wilson was awful at times?  No.  Absolutely not.  Just as many egregious misses as there were drops and the other side of this coin is, we saw how the offense ticked when Zach was on the sidelines.

To me, that's encouraging because I do think we saw some growth from Zach to finish the season and if that growth continues, his weaponz really only need a few pieces instead of an overhaul.  IMO, all this offense really needs is an upgrade at TE, IOL, WR in that order and it could as strong as it's been since I dont know when.

Not that I disagree but I’d argue that drops for a rookie Qb are a lot worse then drops for a veteran. Especially on a bad team. Confidence is huge and drops don’t help

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, drops are all over the league.  

I think they stood out to us more precisely because Wilson was struggling.  

Points were hard to come by for the Jets this year - and frankly, at times, completions were hard to come by for Wilson - so those drops just felt like a gut punch.  

 

I would also like to see the % of dropped passes not just the number, willing to bet the Jets were in the bottom half of attempts........

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cat999 said:

Lots of competing stats out there, but the one that Narnia referenced is from PFF.  If accurate, Zach had significantly more drops than anyone else 

According to Pro Football Focus, Wilson had 12.7% of his catchable passes dropped, which was the highest rate in the NFL among 35 qualified quarterbacks.

Not only did Wilson rank No. 1 in the category, but he was in his own stratosphere:

  1. Zach Wilson, 12.7%
  2. Jacoby Brissett, 9.6%
  3. Sam Darnold, 9.3%
  4. Trevor Lawrence, 9.3%
  5. Baker Mayfield, 9.0%
  6. Matthew Stafford, 8.0%
  7. Justin Herbert, 7.9%
  8. Ben Roethlisberger, 7.8%
  9. Justin Fields, 7.6%
  10. Daniel Jones, 7.6%

 

Thank you for finding this.

I guess we all weren't crazy in what we were seeing.  That's quite a big jump between first and second too....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A quick googling found this:

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Listing of individual "leaders" in dropped pass players.

Our worst was ranked 16th, a RB (Johnson), with 5.  

Davis does not appear on the list (surprisingly).  Nor does Moore.

This is the same source (NBC Sports), but team dropped passes.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

The Jets are listed 5th, not 1st.

I find it interesting that the difference between being 5th and being 20th is only 5 drops, over 17 games.  Or one drop per three games. 

Hardly make or break for a QB throwing it 30-40 times a game at that level of variance.

 

True, but I also think you have to consider when they make the drops. The ones in third down just see so much worse than a first or second down drop. Probably just my perspective watching the game hoping we could sustain drives. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

True, but I also think you have to consider when they make the drops. The ones in third down just see so much worse than a first or second down drop. Probably just my perspective watching the game hoping we could sustain drives. 

Also need to factor in Targets, not many of our WR core had many since most were hurt for much of the season so it would stand to reason Jets WR's would not make that list.........

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Want to be ranked amongst the best in the NFL is dropped passes as a team?

Cut Ty Johnson.

Without him, we’d be very much one of the better teams in the NFL in drops based on 2021.

funny thing is he did half of that in one game (3)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...