Jump to content

Re-Drafting the 2021 QB Class


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok so that officially puts a wrap on the 2021 rookie QB season and I’d thought it’d be interesting to see where these guys would go if they had a redraft today.

1. Trevor Lawrence - All things considered he had a terrible year and really didn’t show many “flashes”. However, he was in a very dysfunctional system and probably the worst spot for him. He still has all the talent in the world and would be the 1st overall pick IMO.

2. Zach Wilson- obviously he had a very rough start and people were calling him a bust already. But he had a great second half with 0 ints in his last 5 games. And unlike Trevor, he did have some “flashy” moments this year. I still think he’s QB2 in this draft. 
 

3. Mac Jones - he’s a tough guy to evaluate cause all things considered he had a great year. Seems to be like he will be a competent QB in this league. Just not sure what the ceiling is for him.

4. Trey Lance - another guy who’s tough to evaluate considering he didn’t even play this year. But everything we have heard and seen about him is his skills set is going to be perfect for the NFL. Going on the unknown I’d think he’d be the 4th QB off the board.

5. David Mills- this kid was the last one drafted and wound up having a remarkable year for a terrible Houston team. From what we saw it looks like he will be a starting caliber QB in this league.

6. Justin Fields- was very overhyped in the pre draft process last year but man did he have a rough year. Did not really put much on tape and his numbers are awful. Will need a major turnaround or he could be done real quick in Chicago

  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think we’ve seen enough to change the order. Jones and Mills are the only ones that had good years. The rest sucked for most of the year but you got glimpses of what a winning team could look like around them.

I don't see the upside of Jones despite his good season. I didn't really watch Mills much so no comment. I’d still be happy with any one of Lance, Zach, Fields and Lawrence in no particular order. Mills is a bogey. Since I didn't watch him much, i don’t have an opinion one way or the other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the dust settles, which organization gets their sh*te together… there is no Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck here, a player who can win despite his team…

NOT IN ANY ORDER…

 

Mac Jones has the best organization behind him, but if Mac has a short ceiling Bill may want more out of his QB physically like these other successful qb’s around the league…so he might be gone eventually even though he had the best year, controlled heavily by his staff…

Justin Fields will already be welcoming a new coach, chaos ? Boom or bust

Zach Wilson… His ceiling is high, Will JD do the right thing and stack up the offense with so much depth, and reliable players? Right now the Jets are stable, giving him a chance to sink or swim, I’m betting on swimming…if Cory Davis is our number one receiver, then we better have some healthy WR’s and a major upgrade at TE…

Trevor Lawrence .. All world talent, In another crappy organization, if they bring in a stud coach, they will probably be the best in our class… If they hire another crap coach, he can put up good numbers on a crap team….

Trey Lance, incomplete…he’s with a strong organization and hasn’t been rushed into action…ceiling is high..

Davis Mills, Showed promise on a crap team, new coach coming in, hopefully it fits with what the coach wants…

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok so that officially puts a wrap on the 2021 rookie QB season and I’d thought it’d be interesting to see where these guys would go if they had a redraft today.

1. Trevor Lawrence - All things considered he had a terrible year and really didn’t show many “flashes”. However, he was in a very dysfunctional system and probably the worst spot for him. He still has all the talent in the world and would be the 1st overall pick IMO.

2. Zach Wilson- obviously he had a very rough start and people were calling him a bust already. But he had a great second half with 0 ints in his last 5 games. And unlike Trevor, he did have some “flashy” moments this year. I still think he’s QB2 in this draft. 
 

3. Mac Jones - he’s a tough guy to evaluate cause all things considered he had a great year. Seems to be like he will be a competent QB in this league. Just not sure what the ceiling is for him.

4. Trey Lance - another guy who’s tough to evaluate considering he didn’t even play this year. But everything we have heard and seen about him is his skills set is going to be perfect for the NFL. Going on the unknown I’d think he’d be the 4th QB off the board.

5. David Mills- this kid was the last one drafted and wound up having a remarkable year for a terrible Houston team. From what we saw it looks like he will be a starting caliber QB in this league.

6. Justin Fields- was very overhyped in the pre draft process last year but man did he have a rough year. Did not really put much on tape and his numbers are awful. Will need a major turnaround or he could be done real quick in Chicago

Dont forget Kellen Mond

The coach talked about him like JN did about Zach after facing the Pats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a redraft, I would take Lawrence just barely over Mac gun to the head.. A very long distance away Mills, another good distance away Wilson and then Fields based on what I saw live.  Lance I dont know enough about, I just saw highlights.

Theres a very high bust rate potential in this draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's still too early to get a feel for this Class. Jones was landed on the best team and had the best season of the bunch. But his performance in the playoff game Saturday Night showed the team was carrying him.

Trevor Lawrence landed in the worst situation and looked crappy most of the season until the last game of the season when he put on an impressive performance. It's a shame there there will be a new Coaching Staff in Jacksonville next. That will set things back for him.

Zach Wilson was the tale of two Seasons. He got off to a shaky start and looked overwhelmed by the pace of the game early in the season. In the last 5 games Zach showed excellent progress and looked to be in control. I expect his development to continue over the winter.

Trey Lance needs more reps. Platooning with Jimmy G is not the answer. Until Lance gets a full season as a starter we'll never know what he is capable of.

David Mills I don't know much about. I don't follow the Bears

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LSJF said:

Mac Jones has the best organization behind him, but if Mac has a short ceiling Bill may want more out of his QB physically like these other successful qb’s around the league…so he might be gone eventually even though he had the best year, controlled heavily by his staff…

I will say this; despite my feelings for the Pats, that kid made a few very nice throws last night. Even that incredible pick was a perfect ball. He even looked good moving around the pocket. 
That said, Zach’s arm talent and athleticism  is undeniably superior. Put Jones’ head on Zach’s body and you’re a complete Qb. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I will say this; despite my feelings for the Pats, that kid made a few very nice throws last night. Even that incredible pick was a perfect ball. He even looked good moving around the pocket. 
That said, Zach’s arm talent and athleticism  is undeniably superior. Put Jones’ head on Zach’s body and you’re a complete Qb. 

The pick was underthrown. And it was a very nice INT but I think Micah Hyde is getting too much credit with people saying it was incredible.  NFL DBs can catch over-the-shoulder.

Mac put up GT points 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The pick was underthrown. And it was a very nice INT but I think Micah Hyde is getting too much credit with people saying it was incredible.  NFL DBs can catch over-the-shoulder.

Mac put up GT points 

I’m not talking points. I’m talking about some particular throws that were impressive. You could nitpick that it needed 1 additional yard of air but from 35 yards out and Aghalor never breaking stride…. That was a dime. Great play by Hyde. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're going in order of how they played during their rookie season, IMO, it's:

Mills, Jones, Lance, Wilson, Fields, Lawrence.

If you're going on who you would draft in a redraft, I think it's:

Fields/Lance/Lawrence, Mills, Wilson, Jones

Personally, I'm still going on potential in a redraft namely because they all sucked, and this was a very unimpressive rookie class of QB's.  Mills is by far the most impressive considering his results and the situation.  Jones had a nice season in a perfect situation but was exposed down the stretch and I'd gamble on the we've seen his ceiling where I dont eve know if we've seen the floor in these other guys.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think about what Patriots fans are thinking right now.  Last night they saw a QB with an elite skill set completely dominate their proud defense and while Jones played admirably, they have to know that Jones can never come close to reaching Allen’s (or Mahomes’) level.  Jets fans can at least hope that Zach can be close to that given that he has flashed similar traits as Allen’s — and that’s why Jones was the fifth QB drafted last year and probably would again right now in a re-draft.  It’s just so hard to compete against teams with top 5 QBs like Allen that you have to swing for the fences when using high picks on QBs.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

If you're going in order of how they played during their rookie season, IMO, it's:

Mills, Jones, Lance, Wilson, Fields, Lawrence.

If you're going on who you would draft in a redraft, I think it's:

Fields/Lance/Lawrence, Mills, Wilson, Jones

Personally, I'm still going on potential in a redraft namely because they all sucked, and this was a very unimpressive rookie class of QB's.  Mills is by far the most impressive considering his results and the situation.  Jones had a nice season in a perfect situation but was exposed down the stretch and I'd gamble on the we've seen his ceiling where I dont eve know if we've seen the floor in these other guys.

 

 

Are we talking beginning of the first round or the second round?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had to redraft based upon what I saw this season, 

Lawrence

Fields

Jones

Wilson

I didn’t see enough of Mills or Lance this year to rank them.

ironically, this was the same order i had prior to this season, except with Lance behind Wilson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I still take Fields and Lance over Jones. Jones proved he can dink and dunk and win games with a great defense and running game.  Mark Sanchez did the same thing but with multiple playoff wins. 

Fields gonna be out the league in a few years 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...