McCarthy in a must win today?

6 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Thats weird because I wanted them to lose because of the girl on the bottom left. 

Same here, she was crying with lots of time left in the game and down one score.  

I wish they had gone back to her after the game ended

9 hours ago, usanyj said:

What you’re saying is spot on. I’m a big baseball and football card collector. I still do it to collect my favorite players and enjoy it and want to share it with my kid one day… now a days, people don’t even know how to pronounce player names, they just care about the value of the card. It ruins the hobby. Very similar to what you describe.

Is collecting sports memorabilia popular today?

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I hate Jerry Jones.  I love high quality NFL playoff football.  I would much rather have seen that incredible assembly of talent playing like a team on a mission instead of trying to figure out how to get set to snap the ball.  On the other side it woudl have been nice to see Jimmy G who has talent not implode under pressure.  

There isn't an NFL owner I give a crap about.   Jerry isn't any more of a turd than Woody.  I really don't like where the league is going.  The game is suffering because of a lack of attention to detail, poor coaching and atrocious rules that the refs can't figure out.

I agree that the league is (and has been) heading in a bad direction.  To my mind, it's been that way for a long while now. 

The rules are overbearing and sometimes don't make sense. 

-The Bengals play the other day where the whistle blew.

-I remember a play a couple of years ago where the whistle blew and neither team picked up the football at the end of the play.  After review, it was called a fumble but since neither team picked it up (and why would they do so after the whistle), I think they just replayed the down.

-Earlier this year was the play where the punter had a punt blocked but it picked it up and punted again.  Amazingly, there was no penalty.

-The refs they hire in the booth say one thing but the refs on the field rule another way.  In other words, it seems like the refs can't even keep their stories straight.

Defense has been outlawed

You can't hit anybody anymore.  You practically can't even defend.  Are there even any teams that win on defense anymore?

The announcers are horrendous

I know this might not seem like a major point but the announcers do play a big part in the entertainment level.  There are no more Summerall/Madden's anymore.  Jim Nantz is still good.  Romo is pretty good but gets on my nerves sometimes.   Ian Eagle is pretty good.  Al Michaels is good but ancient.  They need some new blood and guys with talent.  Spero Dedes, Andrew Catalan, etc put me to sleep.  Plus the never-ending torture of having to listen to Joe Buck for 25+ years already (for NFL and MLB) and his retirement is seemingly nowhere in sight.

Compare that to Summerall, Madden, Dick Enberg, Merlin Olsen, Verne Lundqvist, Don Criqui, Charlie Jones, Marv Albert, etc.  It's amazing how far announcing has fallen off.  

Instant replay takes the excitement out of big plays

You know everything is going to be reviewed so a lot of the "spontaneous excitement" after a big play has been removed.  Now a lot of the cheering comes after the ref speaks and the play becomes "official".

The talent level is watered down

You need a QB to win these days.  There are still too many teams that are pretenders.  The league would be better off if they got rid of like 4-6 teams

Too many teams make the playoffs

I like that there's football to watch but then I turn it on and many of the games are boring due to crappy teams making it.

As far as owners, the only one that seems pretty good to me is Arthur Blank.  He built a new stadium and charged cheap prices instead of gouging his fan base.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, undertow said:

Is collecting sports memorabilia popular today?

It regained its popularity when the pandemic hit. People were looking for something to do while home. It’s turned into a business. People buy a box of cards for 50 and flip it for 200. Watch enough videos and see enough people not know how to say player names and you know it’s all for making money reasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Cowboys have a Super Bowl caliber roster and a crappy coach whose team was unprepared. A gazillion penalties, playing tight, terrible clock management.

Serious question -- if Shanahan was coaching the Cowboys and McCarthy was coaching the 9ers, what's the final score?

In fairness to McCarthy who I always felt underachieved with great talent, Shanahan who is widely looked at as one of the best HC in football team imploded on a 4th and an inch to ice the game.   If Dallas scores and wins that game Shanahan is on the hot seat.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

In fairness to McCarthy who I always felt underachieved with great talent, Shanahan who is widely looked at as one of the best HC in football team imploded on a 4th and an inch to ice the game.   If Dallas scores and wins that game Shanahan is on the hot seat.  

Sure, but that was mostly execution on Jimmy G, IMO.

The bigger issue for SFO was they settled for a gazillion field goals early.

• Sympathy 1

On 1/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, Barton said:

Not saying Moore will be a bad coach but its crazy how teams dont understand that being a hot-shot O or D coordinator has very little to do with being a successful head coach. Hire a smart leader. 

Which is funny, considering Jerry would have done basically the same thing he did with Garrett.  Scared to lose him, so you promote him and hang on way too long. 

19 minutes ago, usanyj said:

It regained its popularity when the pandemic hit. People were looking for something to do while home. It’s turned into a business. People buy a box of cards for 50 and flip it for 200. Watch enough videos and see enough people not know how to say player names and you know it’s all for making money reasons.

I think there's more to it then that.  Basically there have been bubbles forming everywhere and this is one of them.

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Which is funny, considering Jerry would have done basically the same thing he did with Garrett.  Scared to lose him, so you promote him and hang on way too long. 

You saw the stats they put up during the game yesterday on just how good the Dallas offense was this year. They were the 1st or 2nd best in team history in every category, and we all know the great teams and players they have had. I don't think Garrett is in the same area code as Moore in terms of his ability as a Coordinator. I would be very afraid of losing him, especially if it meant choosing McCarthy over him.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

You saw the stats they put up during the game yesterday on just how good the Dallas offense was this year. They were the 1st or 2nd best in team history in every category, and we all know the great teams and players they have had. I don't think Garrett is in the same area code as Moore in terms of his ability as a Coordinator. I would be very afraid of losing him, especially if it meant choosing McCarthy over him.

Fair enough, wasnt really comparing them as coaches, just noting the similarities if it happened.  I'm not going to pretend I know how much Moore's coaching has impacted the offense but they are absolutely loaded.  It cant be that hard of a job to make that offense tick.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Fair enough, wasnt really comparing them as coaches, just noting the similarities if it happened.  I'm not going to pretend I know how much Moore's coaching has impacted the offense but they are absolutely loaded.  It cant be that hard of a job to make that offense tick.

Look how long it took LaFleur to turn us around.?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I put that on Jimmy G.    He screwed the pooch on that

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

There's a large segment of people in sports who only care about numbers and what a piece of paper says...sad.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Sure, but that was mostly execution on Jimmy G, IMO.

The bigger issue for SFO was they settled for a gazillion field goals early.

They called a timeout before the play.  Plenty of time for the HC to impact how it went.  

25 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He rushed to the line and snapped before the line was ready, IIRC. Trent Williams wasn't even set.

Again they had a timeout to discuss it and he also has a mic in his helmet.  The HC can slow him down and remind him of the situation.  That's what the TO is for and the communications in the helmet is all about.  

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So jerry is going to fire mccarthy to hire the guy who called a qb sneak w/ no time outs left?  I dont think so.

Sounds ridiculous, but it was a gutsy call, and it almost worked. Down that far with the D finally protecting the outside, it was just as likely to work as something else. I think someone, maybe Romo said that Dak should have slid down 5 yards earlier; had he done that and the officials weren't so slow, he would have been able to spike the ball with a really good gain. Throwing in the middle of the field would be same risk except it may take longer. Either way, it was a long shot and it was a imaginative call - clearly the D didn't expect it.

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Sounds ridiculous, but it was a gutsy call, and it almost worked. Down that far with the D finally protecting the outside, it was just as likely to work as something else. I think someone, maybe Romo said that Dak should have slid down 5 yards earlier; had he done that and the officials weren't so slow, he would have been able to spike the ball with a really good gain. Throwing in the middle of the field would be same risk except it may take longer. Either way, it was a long shot and it was a imaginative call - clearly the D didn't expect it.

It was a terrible choice...

they were moving the ball with ease on the outside.  Absolutely no need to change that - take one more shot out wide...and then throw it up.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

they were moving the ball with ease on the outside.  Absolutely no need to change that - take one more shot out wide...and then throw it up.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agree. Cooper, Schultz and lamb and you never took a shot at the end zone when you could have twice. The way flags were flying in that game you have to try. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Did you see the defencesive scheme the 49ers were using on that play? They had the sidelines were blocked.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Actually, they were moving with ease on the outside and then the D finally adjusted and moved most of the D on the outside, leaving the middle of the field open. If he stops 2 seconds earlier, they spike the ball after a nice pick up and they have a shot into the end zone.