The Jets, Mock Drafts, and Darryl Stingley Jr.

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

There's no TE who's worth even a sniff of 4 this year; in fact, I doubt there's a TE taken in round 1 at all. WR... I'm no analyst but the reports on this year's group don't make me think any of them are top-5 talents. Seems like a position group that lacks an elite tier, has a reasonable number of "mid-to-late rd 1" guys (some of whom will be overdrafted because of the lack of an elite guy) and then falls off a cliff after Dotson

I've also heard that if Hutchinson or Thib. were in the draft last year they would not have been in the top tier of players. I would love it if a QB rose quickly at the combine (Kenny Pickett?) and we could trade out of this pick. Would love to move from 4 to 7 or 8 and grab another 2nd rounder and select edge, Wr and package a couple seconds and pick Linderbaum. With our other second take McBride. Concentrate on CB/LB/S after that. Grab OL depth later on. Add Becton to our current group and our line will show a big improvement. Also, would much rather sign a FA guard so there isn't someone so young there if we don't get Linderbaum and move McGovern over.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RSJ said:

If that happens the pick is Stingley. He is the only top prospect left. Unless you want a DE who got 4.5 sacks and wonder why you picked Gholston again.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No he's really not. Hamilton is much more valuable in this D and more of a top prospect than Stingley is. They will go Edge is those top 3 guys are gone. Karlaftis is a possibility. Edge is deep this year though - would rather have him trade out of it and grab best WR and Linderbaum while adding another pick.

2 hours ago, RSJ said:

If the Jets dont take Stingley they should trade down. He is literally the drop off point at that pick. Any other guys value can be had around pick 9 or 10. The only problem could be if a QB rises.

SO....A CB who hasn't played in two years is 'the drop off' point in the draft. 

I suppose I would agree, if we moved down to about the 20th pick, but at four?  I think we can do a tad better than Stingley.

• Like 2

Luckily there will be a whole bunch of scouting and the combine to get the "next great QB prospect" hype train rolling and have Corrall or Pickett or whoever get in the sights of a couple teams and suddenly that #4 pick has a lot of value.  Things change over time people.  At this point last year Zach was still a relative unknown. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Origen said:

Luckily there will be a whole bunch of scouting and the combine to get the "next great QB prospect" hype train rolling and have Corrall or Pickett or whoever get in the sights of a couple teams and suddenly that #4 pick has a lot of value.  Things change over time people.  At this point last year Zach was still a relative unknown. 

Giants @5, Carolina@6 , Washington@11, Vikings @12 (depending what happens to Cousins) and Pittsburg@20 are potential QB pickers. 

It’d be nice if Minnesota or Pittsburg want to move up to snag a QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Giants @5, Carolina@6 , Washington@11, Vikings @12 (depending what happens to Cousins) and Pittsburg@20 are potential QB pickers. 

It’d be nice if Minnesota or Pittsburg want to move up to snag a QB.

Bidding war baby!  3 #1's for the #4 pick so the train keeps a-rollin'

• Haha 1

So if Hutchison and Thibodeaux and Neal go 1-3, who exactly is trading up?????????  This is what I don't like about the trade down cult.  They always think there is a market for the pick.  With no stand out QBs, trading down is going to be difficult.  

Outside of Lawrence there was no stand out QB in last years draft at his time of year, yet we took Wilson. There’s always sh*tty QBs that desperate teams take way too high.

The idea that JD would draft a CB that high, let  alone a CB that has barely played over the last two years…..when he willingly went to war with a bunch of late round draft picks and UDFAs is laughable. 

It’s also proof positive that half these mock draft gurus don’t do their homework and just work off of each other. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

They would likely take Hamilton before Stingley..

but won't do either...

Hamilton is bigger and faster than Saleh's two safties turned lb. He might be the pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xJayce said:

Well, if we're drafting Hamilton to play LB... Wait, would we draft a LB @ 4?  ;)

Depending on his combine they might.Im hoping a qb starts to rise and a team wants to get ahead of the midgets and the Jets can trade back. Maybe they can swindle Carolina again?  🤷‍♂️

• Haha 2

I would be surprised if Douglas uses a top pick on the secondary nothing he has done up to this point has show he values those positions that high.  Traded Adams, won't pay Maye, has yet to draft the position higher then the 4th round., hasn't paid in free agency.  I think the top picks will be up front and WR.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I've also heard that if Hutchinson or Thib. were in the draft last year they would not have been in the top tier of players. I would love it if a QB rose quickly at the combine (Kenny Pickett?) and we could trade out of this pick. Would love to move from 4 to 7 or 8 and grab another 2nd rounder and select edge, Wr and package a couple seconds and pick Linderbaum. With our other second take McBride. Concentrate on CB/LB/S after that. Grab OL depth later on. Add Becton to our current group and our line will show a big improvement. Also, would much rather sign a FA guard so there isn't someone so young there if we don't get Linderbaum and move McGovern over.

I sincerely doubt that, particularly for Thibs who has been the No. 1 prospect forever. Last year's edge class was weak, with guys like Jaelean Phillips and Aziz Ojulari at the top of it; both Hutchinson and Thibs would have been the consensus top edge last year. Odds are they would have been seen as top 6-10 guys rather than top 5, but that's only because (1) there were so many QBs at the top and (2) you had super-elite guys at TE and WR (Pitts and Chase) rounding out the top 5

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

JetNation need to implement a drug test before allowing posters to post.  Some of these comments are just nuts.  It is impossible to figure out who will be drafted until we know or speculate who will be signed in free agency.  If Justin Reid is signed and Lamarcus Joyner is re-signed (very plausible), Hamilton won't be the pick.  If Hutchinson, Thibs and Neal are 1-2-3, Charles Cross or Ekmonu could easily be the pick.  If Douglas goes out and spends big on an edge, he could easily wait until round 2 for an edge.  If Douglas lands a top receiver he could pass on a WR at #10 and go for Devin Lloyd or Dean.  I think there's a real good chance Douglas signs a vet CB and again waits until the middle rounds to draft another CB.  One thing is for sure.  Even if he signs Dalton Schultz, he's going to take a TE on day 2.

I think (hope) everybody understands this and is only a bit of speculation, conversation and a joke thrown in here and there.

The drug tests might be needed to posters who give reports from their online cartoon persona in the third person.😜

13 hours ago, RSJ said:

Tell me more about how you think JD works. He never picks shut down corners? Gimme a break dude. Stingley is probably the best prospect in this draft. Ravens love top CBs. JD is from there.

There is literally zero chance Stingley would be the pick. The defense is not built around lock down man corners like the Rex defense was. It might be the least prioritized position on the entire defense.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

So if Hutchison and Thibodeaux and Neal go 1-3, who exactly is trading up?????????  This is what I don't like about the trade down cult.  They always think there is a market for the pick.  With no stand out QBs, trading down is going to be difficult.  

You’re wrong. JD can simply press the big red trade down button and magically someone will give up a haul….

• Haha 2

Google "mock NFL Draft 2022" and the first one comes in from CBS and has 3 mocks on it, none have Stingley at 4.  Its Neal, Cross and Hutchinson at 4 in those 3 mocks.  With one having Dean at 10 the other two Hamilton

Its not all

19 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I was on that thought pattern and if we go that way I will not be dissapointed but...........(I posted the following in the Draft Forum)

Starting to really fall in love with Kyle Hamilton. I was totally against this pick a week or so ago but listening to knowledgeable YouTube Jets content has got me rethinking this point . When you have an opportunity to draft a player that experts are saying is the best in the last 20 years you do it in a heartbeat. Double bonus is that we are desperate for help at the safety position.Hamilton could change the way that our defense plays and is so valuable because he can play almost anywhere. Being versatile seems to be right up Joe Douglas is alley. Love this pick at 4 even without a trade down.

Nakobe Dean at #10 appears to be just what we need at linebacker .Fast, ferocious , mean, and hard hitting are  all characteristics that come to mind when I think of this player . We desperately need help at this position as well .

There are a handful of real good edge rushers that should be there at the top of the second round . If Thibodeau and Hutchinson are off the board at #4 I don't think there is a reason to reach for the third rated edge rusher when there is a player being compared to the best safety that has come out in the last 20 years . I just don't think you pass on that . At least that's what I think today

With our second pic in round two we could go Trey McBride at TE, or best available offensive line help.

I would change #10 to WR, and then LB and TE in 2nd round and I could be very convinced. That said, I'd need OL in 3 & 4 to try and find a gem.

17 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Still my first preference as well...

21 hours ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

It’s our favorite time of year again.  The one season we actually seem to win a bit before the games start.  So as usual with two top picks I have been checking out the early mock drafts.   For some reason that I can’t quite figure out almost every single draft shows the Jets taking Darryl Stingley Jr at number 4.   And almost all the comments openly state what a great talent he is before pointing out much of the projection was based on 2019 tape and that he barely played in the two years after that.   My question is how does this make any sense?  Is it just trolling the Jets to get a rise out of us fans or do they really believe the Jets are so incompetent that they would take any player with this injury history so high?  I don’t care how bad they think we need a #1 corner (though from all I’ve seen Salah’s system is much more predicated on generating a pass rush to defend the pass) taking a guy with his history of injuries at 4 or even 10 would almost be professional malpractice.

Considering the heat JD must be feeling with Becton, I doubt Stingley  becomes a Jet. 

19 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The people who keep “mocking” Stingley to the Jets are ignoring what Saleh and JD just did in the 2021 draft.  JD drafted 3 CBs Pinnock, MC2 and Echols.   They just spent an entire season developing those young guys, two of which, Echols and MC2, looked decent and progressed.  Why waste all this investment in development only to draft a highly questionable CB prospect 4th overall?  Maybe they draft another one in the later rounds, that seems to be what Saleh likes to do with his CBs.   

This +1. It seems like JD goes one of two ways: quantity, and allow the cream (if any) to rise, or quality, trading up to get your guy. If the CB's all fail, it's not a big loss because of where they were drafted. I like the approach, especially, as sec101 pointed out, a couple of them progressed.

We just have to hope that the "quality" side of his equation (cough, *Mims*, cough) works out.

• Upvote 1

Darryl?

There's close to zero chance we take Derek Stingley. I wouldn't even break a sweat over it. We very clearly saw what this admin's approach to the secondary is. Lots of later round fliers of developmental guys they think fit their system. They clearly believe in building through the trenches with premium picks and developing later round guys in the secondary, at RB, etc.

If there was any chance we take a DB it would 100% be Hamilton, who has "transcendent" potential but I don't see that either. Zero chance we take a CB who hasn't put out good tape since 2019.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There are many experts that believe Hamilton is far and away the best player in this draft.  We can't afford to draft a safety that high but there might be multiple teams that believe he's the missing piece.

It's certainly possible someone will find the value in moving up to get him.

Not saying it will happen, but it's certainly reasonable to believe the possibility will be there.

• Upvote 3