OK, I'm done defending Becton

More Cowbell

8 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Exactly...

What's the point of this thread other than to whine and bitch about something that has been whined and bitched about all seasons?

Guys like Becton and Mims will be in camp next year. It'll be their 3rd year as pros. If they show their ability and outshine others, they'll play. If not, they won't and will be benched, traded or cut. Why is there any new thread on this??

Mims and Becton should not be lumped together. Becton was injured. Mims played.  Mims looked bad playing. Becton was, um , injured.  

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I bet you Mims won’t be.

You don't think Mims makes it to camp? I have a hard time imagining they'd be able to trade him for anything, so not sure there's a point to moving him (hey, if we get a 3rd on draft day, I'll be ecstatic! :)). Maybe they just cut him, but what would be the risk of keeping him on the roster for another camp (other than taking away snaps from another lower end prospect)?

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Mims and Becton should not be lumped together. Becton was injured. Mims played.  Mims looked bad playing. Becton was, um , injured.  

Oh, completely agreed!

I only lumped them together in that both have lost a bit of their shine for some of the fanbase on this forum (one with injuries, the second with not demonstrating any ability). They are completely different situations, but I think both need to show something in camp.

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

So nothing has changed other than the posting of another click bait article and that’s what prompted you to start this thread?

You should start one of these every day till OTAs because nothing else is going to change. 

But the article was prompted by NFL network reporting specifically that Becton's rehab was slow going and THEN he started adding weight.  Not good.  At all.

3 minutes ago, xJayce said:

Oh, completely agreed!

I only lumped them together in that both have lost a bit of their shine for some of the fanbase on this forum (one with injuries, the second with not demonstrating any ability). They are completely different situations, but I think both need to show something in camp.

I agree that Mims is done. If he couldn't crack the line up  with all the injuries the Jets had at the WR position and with his multiple drops, penalties, mistakes in actual games, his ship has sailed.  Becton did absolutely nothing on the field to indicate he will not be back next year.  He just had the misfortune of a serious knee injury.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, xJayce said:

You don't think Mims makes it to camp? I have a hard time imagining they'd be able to trade him for anything, so not sure there's a point to moving him (hey, if we get a 3rd on draft day, I'll be ecstatic! :)). Maybe they just cut him, but what would be the risk of keeping him on the roster for another camp (other than taking away snaps from another lower end prospect)?

The risk is to team culture, he’s a lazy malcontent, the the coaching staff don’t like him. He’s not here next season book it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

But the article was prompted by NFL network reporting specifically that Becton's rehab was slow going and THEN he started adding weight.  Not good.  At all.

How hard is it to understand that if your rehab on a weight bearing joint like the knee resulting in the inability to do much cardio or lower body strength training would result in weight gain. 

Who woulda thunk it. 

1 minute ago, BurnleyJet said:

The risk is to team culture, he’s a lazy malcontent, the the coaching staff don’t like him. He’s not here next season book it.

I’ve wanted to ask the board if we could trade him for a 5th rounder but I didn’t want to get colossally  mocked.

Maybe someone thinks they can get the best out of him, change of scenery as it were. 

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

After getting rolled up on, Wirfs actually came back into today's game and "tried to give it a go".  Anyone here actually believing Becton would have done this?   He went off last year twice for "the sniffles" and "getting winded". 

Let's keep things in context.  Isn't there a difference between playing to go to a Super Bowl and playing for draft position against the Texans?  Would Arians have protected Wirfs in a dumpster fire season like we just had, or taped him up and sent him out there?

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Let's keep things in context.  Isn't there a difference between playing to go to a Super Bowl and playing for draft position against the Texans?  Would Arians have protected Wirfs in a dumpster fire season like we just had, or taped him up and sent him out there?

Yup. If we were playing the Bills for a playoff spot I’m guessing Moore Berries et al would have been out there. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

Good point.  The only intangible is an honest, medical, appraisal of Becton's injury.   Could he have played at some point this year?  None of us know.  But would appreciate some guidance.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

How hard is it to understand that if your rehab on a weight bearing joint like the knee resulting in the inability to do much cardio or lower body strength training would result in weight gain. 

Who woulda thunk it. 

Weight loss/gain is 99% based on nutrition. Soooo...

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Who woulda thunk it. 

Calorie intake.  You can be inactive and still drop weight.

Hell, I need to drop about a million pounds and dropped a few last month after slipping a disc in my back at work.  Just cut calories low enough to be functioning at a deficit.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Caloric intake v calorie burn is 99% of weight loss/gain. 

Yes. So he should have stopped stuffing his fat face when he couldn't train. 

Im pretty sure the Jets have about 20 guys on their staff that have told him that over and over again.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes. So he should have stopped stuffing his fat face when he couldn't train. 

Im pretty sure the Jets have about 20 guys on their staff that have told him that over and over again.

A big boy needs to eat, can’t just shut off or the body will eat itself. No matter who is telling you what  

If you can’t burn calories you cannot maintain an even weight. You’re going to gain weight. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Calorie intake.  You can be inactive and still drop weight.

Hell, I need to drop about a million pounds and dropped a few last month after slipping a disc in my back at work.  Just cut calories low enough to be functioning at a deficit.

The deficit he needs to be at is likely massive given his physiology. 

21 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The deficit he needs to be at is likely massive given his physiology. 

Probably right, but teams aren't going to give him a pass for not doing something because it wasn't easy enough.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

A big boy needs to eat, can’t just shut off or the body will eat itself. No matter who is telling you what  

If you can’t burn calories you cannot maintain an even weight. You’re going to gain weight. 

You really can't be this ignorant of human physiology, can you? 

😆 

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

No need to defend or promote him. Let’s see how he is in OTAs and training camp then decisions and opinions can be made 

Risky move if the coaching staff has no faith in him.

Right now he has value.  If he shows up out of shape again and we bench him, then he has no value.

Is there any truth to the Jerry Judy is on the trade block rumor?  

Maybe we can swap out disappointing second year players and draft Cross with our pick at 10?  

The thing that resonates for me in this report is that someone from the Jets leaked that they “hope” to have Becton ready by Spring.  As in, he’s still not even close.

I have no idea what will happen, but I don’t see how anyone could be surprised if this is essentially it for Becton.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You really can't be this ignorant of human physiology, can you? 

😆 

Actually I know a lot about it. A guy with his girth and likely his metabolism is always going to have trouble keeping weight off. Especially if you can’t strength training work out or cardio. 

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Has nothing to do with ease. Weight bearing joint. 

So he should probably cut his calories down to the point where he's not adding more weight to his weight bearing joint.  Nobody is asking him to go on a hunger strike for six months.  Just dial back the intake to a maintenance level.  

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

So he should probably cut his calories down to the point where he's not adding more weight to his weight bearing joint.  Nobody is asking him to go on a hunger strike for six months.  Just dial back the intake to a maintenance level.  

Nobody here has any idea how much he weighs, how much he’s gained. 

Just folks speculating he’s a fat lazy slob. 

I’ll reserve judgment until OTAs. If he’s not ready by training camp I’ll join the dumping on him. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Risky move if the coaching staff has no faith in him.

Right now he has value.  If he shows up out of shape again and we bench him, then he has no value.

Not saying coaching staff saying us as in the fan base don’t have to defend or promote him just see what he brings to the table when camps start. If he reports to camp as the second coming of Jabba the Hut they will know then he will useless and then traded 

There was A LOT of back and forth about Ticket vs Lawson in camp.  It was split pretty evenly with half the board saying he was losing because there were no pads to grab ahold of and the rest saying he was out of shape.

Here's every pass pro in his only appearance this year.  The Panthers do have a talented pass rush and their edges accounted for over 20 sacks.  See for yourself:

I counted:

-29 out of 32 good to great pass pro reps.

-1 missed assignment at 1:09.  He was playing next to a rookie so this was to be expected.

-1 coverage sack at 4:17.  He blocked for almost four seconds before his man got to Zach.

1-Bad rep where he was beaten at 2:42.  Was still a completed pass though.

He also had a pancake at 4:53 which is hard to do in pass pro.  I'm sure he had more on the running downs.

I think the Becton is a bust talk is a bit overblown.  Even out of shape he was kicking ass.  The Hall of Fame potential is there if he just starts to care and decides that he wants it.  

I see what JD saw when he chose him over Wirfs.  Hopefully the kid decides to prove him right. 

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Nobody here has any idea how much he weighs, how much he’s gained. 

Just folks speculating he’s a fat lazy slob. 

I’ll reserve judgment until OTAs. If he’s not ready by training camp I’ll join the dumping on him. 

I've spent all season defending him from people calling him a lazy slob with no evidence of him actually being one.

That changes a bit when Douglas says he neds to come back in shape and somebody leaked to NFL network that rehab was going slow and then he started packing on pounds.  

Hopefully it lights a fire under his ass and he comes in to camp in the best shape of his life but as of right now it's a terrible look.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

There was A LOT of back and forth about Ticket vs Lawson in camp.  It was split pretty evenly with half the board saying he was losing because there were no pads to grab ahold of and the rest saying he was out of shape.

Here's every pass pro in his only appearance this year.  The Panthers do have a talented pass rush and their edges accounted for over 20 sacks.  See for yourself:

I counted:

-29 out of 32 good to great pass pro reps.

-1 missed assignment at 1:09.  He was playing next to a rookie so this was to be expected.

-1 coverage sack at 4:17.  He blocked for almost four seconds before his man got to Zach.

1-Bad rep where he was beaten at 2:42.  Was still a completed pass though.

He also had a pancake at 4:53 which is hard to do in pass pro.  I'm sure he had more on the running downs.

I think the Becton is a bust talk is a bit overblown.  Even out of shape he was kicking ass.  The Hall of Fame potential is there if he just starts to care and decides that he wants it.  

I see what JD saw when he chose him over Wirfs.  Hopefully the kid decides to prove him right. 

He came into camp with plantar fasciitis. He was not ready to compete against Lawson.