It Really Sucks that We BLEW The Great Receiver Class of 2020

JetBlue

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If it makes you feel better, the near-consensus "2nd dip" most JN folks wanted was Gandy-Golden.

Who finished this year on the WFT practice squad.  And has 1 career reception so far.

So if you all still want him, he'd come pretty cheap. Lol.

Well i was not on the golden gandy train, just take a pick of about a half dozen guys way better than mims when the team needed wrs and other teams wee picking 2 or 3 of them.

Pick any players you  want. doubling down in a draft that is deep in one area is smart.

You are welcome to do the same thing with all the other flops by douglas in that draft, give us .

And even if golden gandy is stinky he would still be a better pick than any  of our 4th rounders.

• Post of the Week 1

On 1/16/2022 at 5:40 PM, JetBlue said:

The Mims debacle is why I really wanted Joe to double, maybe even triple dip at receiver two years ago.

I am looking teams like the 49ers with Both Ayuk and Jennings, Eagles with Raegor and Watkins and just damn it sure would be nice to one those guys on the team.   Even guys like DPJ have contributed to their team on a regular basis.   The number of excellent receivers from that draft are too numerous for me to list here.  The fact that we came away with just one of them chaffed me then, and even more so now.  Of course I don't think anyone could have foreseen how ineffectual Mims would be.   With so many good receivers in that draft, the smart thing to do would to go with the strength of the draft from a talent perspective.  We definitely didn't need to pick a small school developmental quarterback, a punter, running back, especially when their was still mid round talent at receiver going into day 3.  I really hope he learned something from that draft, I really do. 

At any event I really enjoy watching that wr draft class.  They are lot of fun.  I just can't help thinking what if some time...  At this rate 2020 is really not looking too good for Douglass.  He did pretty good this year I think, but really has to hit a home run in this years draft for this team to have hope of having a contending team in two years. 

I get the premise and I agree. But Eagles fans hate Raegor more than Jets fans hate Mims.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:50 PM, AFJF said:

Gabriel Davis, Darnell Mooney, KJ Osborn, Quez Watkins to name a few.

Also James Proche who I was a big fan of.  He hasn't done a ton as a pro but he's coming along.

Add Donovan Peoples Jones, Collen Johnson, Tyler Johnson... the list goes on.  

8 hours ago, rldev said:

Whilst there are definitely some good wide receivers, the 2020 WR class is loaded with busts all over the place. Jerry Juedy, who 70% of this board wanted says hello. 2021 WR class is better, at least on the top end.

What was the slogan... Take it in the booty for Jerry Jeudy? 

Jeudy is not a bust.  He was playing well to start the season and got injured and missed the rest of the year.  Lets see what he does next season before declaring him a bust.   Even Ruggs was starting to ball out before he killed someone and threw his career into the toilet.  The fact of the matter is there are far more good receivers than there are busts.   Pittman, Higgins, J. Jefferson, Duvernay, Claypool, Lamb, Aiyuk, V. Jefferson are have all lived up to or in the process of living up to their draft status.  Exceptions are Raegor and Mims for the most part.   Than you have a whole bunch of guys drafted in the mid to late rounds who's play have far exceed their draft position. 

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I get the premise and I agree. But Eagles fans hate Raegor more than Jets fans hate Mims.

Again, that is why Philly was SMART to take another receiver later in that draft in the 6th round.... Quez Watkins, whom many of us wanted in the 4th or 5th rounds.   This year he has been getting the playing time and you can already see he is better than Raegor.    This was the mistake Douglas made and tried to make up for by signing Lawrence Cager.  Unfortunately there is a reason Cager went undrafted and part of it was his inability to stay healthy.  

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If it makes you feel better, the near-consensus "2nd dip" most JN folks wanted was Gandy-Golden.

Who finished this year on the WFT practice squad.  And has 1 career reception so far.

Yep, and I and everyone here is just a fan and are not paid to make these decisions but then again you already know that and just playing your well worn role as "resident dick". 

We advocated for him along with DPJ, Quez Watkins and several other players, but the bottom line is we wanted him to double dip at that position.   You know what? I wouldn't even be upset if he took Gandy and it didn't work out.  At least it would have shown he was trying to take advantage of the strength of the draft at a position of need.    That would have made a lot more sense than taking Morgan who you seemed to be okay and who made ZERO sense.   

45 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well i was not on the golden gandy train, just take a pick of about a half dozen guys way better than mims when the team needed wrs and other teams wee picking 2 or 3 of them.

Pick any players you  want. doubling down in a draft that is deep in one area is smart.

You are welcome to do the same thing with all the other flops by douglas in that draft, give us .

And even if golden gandy is stinky he would still be a better pick than any  of our 4th rounders.

Seriously, I am glad I'm not the only one who gets this.  Why are we wasting a 4th rounder on some no body at quarterback who is never going to see the field???   A 5th rounder on a plodding running back with no special talent?   When you had receivers with mid round grades still on the board?   As you mentioned it is not even about the receiver position.  It is about taking advantage of a draft with an abundance of talent at a given position.  The fact that the position is also one of need is just a great bonus.    Look at the Raiders; who could have foreseen Ruggs getting thrown out of the league for Vehicular Manslaughter?   By doubling down and taking Bryan Edwards, they added quality receiver who just going to get better and better and made that situation less damaging to the franchise.    I am hoping that Douglas has learned from this and stops trying to be too cute.   Last year was a good sign; we need to see more of that this year. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Yep, and I and everyone here is just a fan and are not paid to make these decisions but then again you already know that and just playing your well worn role as "resident dick". 

We advocated for him along with DPJ, Quez Watkins and several other players, but the bottom line is we wanted him to double dip at that position.   You know what? I wouldn't even be upset if he took Gandy and it didn't work out.  At least it would have shown he was trying to take advantage of the strength of the draft at a position of need.    That would have made a lot more sense than taking Morgan who you seemed to be okay and who made ZERO sense.   

Point sailed right over your head apparently.

But by all means, keeps on complaining.  I have no desire to defend JD at this stage.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Not sure if it’s just me but this did not, in fact, make me feel better.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Jeudy is not a bust.  He was playing well to start the season and got injured and missed the rest of the year.  Lets see what he does next season before declaring him a bust.   Even Ruggs was starting to ball out before he killed someone and threw his career into the toilet.  The fact of the matter is there are far more good receivers than there are busts.   Pittman, Higgins, J. Jefferson, Duvernay, Claypool, Lamb, Aiyuk, V. Jefferson are have all lived up to or in the process of living up to their draft status.  Exceptions are Raegor and Mims for the most part.   Than you have a whole bunch of guys drafted in the mid to late rounds who's play have far exceed their draft position. 

In Jet world Jerry Jeudy is a bust and will almost certainly never be the class of that draft that so many professed:). There are good receivers every year. Maybe we don´t draft Elijah Moore because we took a flyer on Gandy Golden. I wanted 2 two receivers too. Just like I wanted 2 OL last year. For whatever reason JD doesn´t like double dipping in the top 4 rounds. Seems odd, but it may be a product of being completely bereft of talent. We are here now and I have no problem with him drafting another OL, WR, TE this year. The draft has to be nailed this year. Unfortunately, Jets and lament go hand in hand:)

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Nonsense.

Everyone in the organisation knew Gase was on thin ice heading into 2020. The man was a meme ffs and had already lost the fans. Darnold hadn't shown any sort of progress and it was pretty obvious from JD's other moves that the priority wasn't to win immediately and save his job.

If he was using the Jets long term pieces based on Adam Gase's advice then he's as big a moron as Maccagnan. Listen to yourself. 

He was on such thin ice that he got Macc fired, hired his hand picked GM, and whatever else you can think of.  Listen to yourself.... Losing the fans was one thing, losing Woody/Chris was another, which he hadn't yet. They were calling him a genius for god sake.

• Sympathy 1