It looks like Zach Wilson and the NY Jets have found a very interesting loophole in the NFL's Rule.

3 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

It’s not the league imposing them. It’s the NFLPA who wanted it enforced. League would love to get rid of these and play 52 weeks of football.

Indeed 2020 the NFLPA may have something to say about this. But we must not forget there was and may still be a clique of Players who train in South Florida during the Off Season. Players from different teams training together. Was that ever stopped ? It certainly gives the appearance of collusion.

42 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

An article was published a couple of days on ESPN's Website about a loophole in the NFL' s Rules that will advance Zach Wilson's Off Season training regimen. The NFL's Rules prohibit Player Personnel Personnel from having any training contact with Team Coach Staff from the close of the season until OTAs begin in April. Enter John Beck who is a QB Training coach whose services are retain by Zach Wilson. Beck was invited to the Jets facility when Zach was rehabbing from an injury. In that capacity Beck was also attending Team Meetings and Practice to watch Zach's development and take notes on what the Team's evalutions are of Zach and what expectations they have for Zach. In the closing weeks of the seasons Beck returned home to Los Angeles. Now recall the BYU News Outlet that did the interview of Zach last week. Several interesting tidbits came out about Zach, First he said he was interested in relocating to a warm weather climate. The second item is that Zach an his girlfriend had broke off their relationship. I'm willing to bet that Zach's girlfriend was operating under the impression that both she and Zach would return to Utah for the next 4 months. Then Zach dropped the news on her that his stay in Utah would last only a month after which he would fly down to LA to train/workout with John Beck for the following 3 months. During her stay with Zach his girlfriend probably got her fill of New York and wanted to return to Utah. A 1 month turn around was not what she had in mind so she decided to call off their relationship and move on to other people. The point was conveyed in the ESPN Article that Zach intends to devote considerable effort to working out with Beck in the Off Season. This arrangement is indeed interesting. John Beck is NOT an employee of the New York Jets. He was invited on to the Jets Training Facility as a Guest. This also included attending meetings, Beck was there as an observer. Now that this "arrangement" has been published it will be interesting to watch if and how The NFL reacts to it. There isn't much that can be done this Off Season as the nature of relationship is a private business contract between Beck and Zach. But I would not be surprised to see the NFL's Front Office contact the Jets to convey the League's sense of impropriety about the matter. It could even go so far as stating Private Contractors are no different than any other member of the Public and not granted access to any other team functions that are walled off from the Public. As to Zach I'm really impressed with his desire to improve his game. He is look for any angle that will give him an edge over the competition. This is the kind of stuff that leads me to believe the improvement we saw in the last 4 Weeks of this season is just the begining. https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88725/new-york-jets-zach-wilson-has-hidden-edge-as-he-embarks-on-key-offseason

Beck was paid as part of the Jets staff here, at least that is what was said at the time.

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Beck was paid as part of the Jets staff here, at least that is what was said at the time.

As I recall the language used when Beck was brought in was vague and nebulous and open to interpretation. The ESPN Article written by Cimini is pretty explicit stating Beck is an independent contractor working for Wilson who came in to visit the Jets Facility. The other thing that struck me as odd is what happened to Matt Cavanaugh ? He WAS hired by the Jets to Coach Wilson after Greg Knapp was killed. Cavanaugh just vanished in to thin air.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

As I recall the language used when Beck was brought in was vague and nebulous and open to interpretation. The ESPN Article written by Cimini is pretty explicit stating Beck is an independent contractor working for Wilson who came in to visit the Jets Facility. The other thing that struck me as odd is what happened to Matt Cavanaugh ? He WAS hired by the Jets to Coach Wilson after Greg Knapp was killed. Cavanaugh just vanished in to thin air.

doesnt say anything about being an independent contractor

New York Jets add QB Zach Wilson's personal coach John Beck to coaching staff (espn.com)

• cimini_rich.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- In an unusual midseason move, the New York Jets have added former NFL quarterback John Beck -- Zach Wilson's personal coach -- to the coaching staff for the remainder of the season.

The Jets never announced the hire, but Beck, wearing team apparel and a headset, was spotted on the sideline during Sunday's 34-31 win over the Cincinnati Bengals. Coach Robert Saleh confirmed the move Tuesday, calling Beck "another quarterbacks coach." He was added mainly to help Wilson, who has been struggling.

Beck, 40, will be full-time for the rest of the season.

Knowing how much Wilson and Beck communicate throughout the course of the season, the Jets decided to make Beck part of the staff, Saleh said.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If he's no longer a coach for the Jets then he can't be prohibited from contact with Wilson I'm guessing.

This does seem like a loophole.

Being that it was a short term deal and Beck is going back to his private business with no sign that Beck's services will be retained next year, the league and NFLPA can't do anything about it. I'm sure Jets aren't the first to do this and wont be the last. 

• Upvote 3

I don't think it's a loophole the Jets will actually use.

If they planned to have Beck be an employee only during each season (contractually), he'd not be an employee during the offseason, so could work with any player he likes, no violation, but skirting the rules, no doubt.

The kicker here is "do the Jets plan to re-hire Beck at the start of the 2022 season".  Doing so would definitely be skirting the "spirit of the rules".

But I don't think they are.  The Beck as a jets (Wilson) Coach during the season was likely a one-time thing.   

I'd wager Beck does not rejoin the Jets next year.  As such, no loophole, just a guy going back to doing what he was doing beforehand, working with QB's (not just Wilson).  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, WestCoastMole said:

An article was published a couple of days on ESPN's Website about a loophole in the NFL' s Rules that will advance Zach Wilson's Off Season training regimen. The NFL's Rules prohibit Player Personnel Personnel from having any training contact with Team Coach Staff from the close of the season until OTAs begin in April. Enter John Beck who is a QB Training coach whose services are retain by Zach Wilson. Beck was invited to the Jets facility when Zach was rehabbing from an injury. In that capacity Beck was also attending Team Meetings and Practice to watch Zach's development and take notes on what the Team's evalutions are of Zach and what expectations they have for Zach. In the closing weeks of the seasons Beck returned home to Los Angeles. Now recall the BYU News Outlet that did the interview of Zach last week. Several interesting tidbits came out about Zach, First he said he was interested in relocating to a warm weather climate. The second item is that Zach an his girlfriend had broke off their relationship. I'm willing to bet that Zach's girlfriend was operating under the impression that both she and Zach would return to Utah for the next 4 months. Then Zach dropped the news on her that his stay in Utah would last only a month after which he would fly down to LA to train/workout with John Beck for the following 3 months. During her stay with Zach his girlfriend probably got her fill of New York and wanted to return to Utah. A 1 month turn around was not what she had in mind so she decided to call off their relationship and move on to other people. The point was conveyed in the ESPN Article that Zach intends to devote considerable effort to working out with Beck in the Off Season. This arrangement is indeed interesting. John Beck is NOT an employee of the New York Jets. He was invited on to the Jets Training Facility as a Guest. This also included attending meetings, Beck was there as an observer. Now that this "arrangement" has been published it will be interesting to watch if and how The NFL reacts to it. There isn't much that can be done this Off Season as the nature of relationship is a private business contract between Beck and Zach. But I would not be surprised to see the NFL's Front Office contact the Jets to convey the League's sense of impropriety about the matter. It could even go so far as stating Private Contractors are no different than any other member of the Public and not granted access to any other team functions that are walled off from the Public. As to Zach I'm really impressed with his desire to improve his game. He is look for any angle that will give him an edge over the competition. This is the kind of stuff that leads me to believe the improvement we saw in the last 4 Weeks of this season is just the begining. https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88725/new-york-jets-zach-wilson-has-hidden-edge-as-he-embarks-on-key-offseason

This is a whole lot of nothing. Beck is as connected to the Jets as much as Palmer was connected when he coached Darnold. The fact that the Jets allowed Beck into meetings as an observer and on the sideline doesn't  mean he is employed by them. I'm pretty sure Beck isn't getting advice from the Jets on how to coach Wilson unless he is receiving  compensation  which would make him at least an independent  contractor which could be considered an employee. 

• Upvote 1