TE Jeremy Ruckert being coached by Jets at Senior Bowl… and his father couldn’t be more thrilled!

8 minutes ago, Jets1958 said:

Exactly - Rucker’s averaged 13 catches a year at OSU. No big there!

Isnt features, but I think hes better than his numbers. I wouldn't get him first, but if we double dip, I'd love for him to be here. Pair him with either one of the better receivers OR with McBride and have a great combo for 2 TE sets. 

• Upvote 4

Signing a Gesicki or Shultz and drafting a Ruckert would be a solid upgrade to the group along with retaining another veteran (Griffin likely, but maybe bring back Kroft cheaper) and Yeboah. I know they are trying to transition Lawrence Cager to TE as well.

The above would setup as a decent group to work with. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Ruckert is a real TE, who can block and catch.

He wasn't a featured receiver at Ohio State - they have a billion WRs to throw to - but he was still very reliable when called upon, especially near the goal-line.

He is a very good prospect. If we could steal him in round 3, I'd be really happy with that.

Ok. I was hoping for a difference maker at TE not mr. average. But who knows. Sounds like he’d make a solid second TE.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Signing a Gesicki or Shultz and drafting a Ruckert would be a solid upgrade to the group along with retaining another veteran (Griffin likely, but maybe bring back Kroft cheaper) and Yeboah. I know they are trying to transition Lawrence Cager to TE as well.

The above would setup as a decent group to work with. 

Gesicki isn’t coming here. Dude can’t block 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cute story, but Trey Mcbride is the tight end we are drafting.  They are not even comparable as players.

The issue is, and I agree with you, if we don’t drop back in Rd 1 I’m not so sure he’s going to be there at the top of Rd 2. 

I think Trey is going day 1. 

Sign Dalton Schultz in FA and draft this kid in the later rounds, I’d be happy to have him.

Yes, I know he wasn’t used a lot at OSU, but look at their receiving core and that’s a big reason why.

Also, watching Ruckert play against Clemson last year in the semifinals was exciting he had himself a pretty big game he had two tds on 3 catches for 66 yards. He’s an average run blocker that needs some work in pass pro, but that can fixed and can’t forget he’d be a decent red zone threat. 

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ruckert is a heck of a lot better fit for this offense then guys like Wydermeyer and Likely.  McBride, Ruckert, Kolar and Ferguson.  Give me one of those 4 and I’m happy.

This

Sign Schultz, draft Ruckert at the top of the 3rd and have Yeboah as your developmental third TE on the roster.

Massive improvement at the position 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Apparently we re-signed Lawrence Cager, as a TE. 

So that happened. 

And Griffin is still under contract for next year.

Give me Dalton Schultz (FA), Ruckert (Draft), Griffin, Yeboah, Cager as the guys who roll into camp. Yeboah and Cager seem like PS candidates for another year. 

19 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ruckert is a 4/5 rounder. Hes a blocker, not much of a catcher. Wouldnt mind him as late ng as we get a complete te earlier like windermeyer or mcbride. You know the guys that catch and score. 

His hands aren't bad, the quarterback just never looked his way.  That Penn St film posted earlier did him no favors.  A fumble and quite a few blown blocking assignments.

He's definitely a day three prospect, but I'd happily add him to the team provided they added a good vet or McBride before. 

• Upvote 1

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/17/2022-nfl-draft-new-york-jets-jeremy-ruckert-dad/

Ohio State tight end Jeremy Ruckert grew up watching the Jets as a native of Long Island. In just a few short months, there’s a chance that the tight end-needy team selects him in the 2022 NFL draft.

And his father is on board with that happening.

The Reese’s Senior Bowl Twitter account shared the list of tight ends who will be working with New York’s coaching staff as members of the National team. Ruckert was among them, which prompted a response from Ruckert’s father, Bill.

J-E-T-S -JETS JETS JETS,” Ruckert tweeted, along with a picture that appears to be Jeremy with a Jets logo painted on his face.

Bill wasn’t done there. He found a tweet from The Athletic’s Dane Brugler stating that he liked Ruckert’s fit with the Jets. Bill responded with the same picture he posted under the Senior Bowl tweet.

Jeremy attended Lindenhurst Senior High School in Suffolk County and developed into one of the best tight ends in the nation. He decided to take his talents to Ohio State and caught 54 passes for 615 yards and 12 touchdowns in four seasons with the program.

Ruckert’s career numbers don’t jump off the page, but he didn’t get a ton of targets with Ohio State’s wide receiver room being one of the most talented and deepest in college football. Brugler’s assessment that Ruckert has a chance to be a better pro than a college player has credence, as his pass-catching ability and ball skills were on display whenever he could get a look from a Buckeyes quarterback.

The Jets desperately need to upgrade at tight end this offseason. Not having an impactful receiver at the position took a potentially valuable safety blanket away from Zach Wilson. That didn’t necessarily hinder his development, but it certainly didn’t help it, either.

Ruckert just might be the tight end the Jets are looking for. If that winds up being the case, his dad’s push to bring his son back to the Big Apple might lead to a big Ruckert family cheering section in MetLife Stadium one day.

• Upvote 1