Top 4 Unexpected Positives / Disappointments from Jets 2021

Good list, however Michael Carter was 2nd only to his teammate Javonte Williams at UNC in broken tackles in 2020 NCAA season. For that skill to have translated shouldn't be a surprise. Coincidently they're both 1 and 2 in their rookie season in the same stat in the NFL this season. Are they both baby oiling their jerseys? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Here are mine.  What are your’s?

Unexpected Positives

1. All Pro Braxton Berrios

2. Development of George Fant

3. Elijah Moore’s ability to both create elite separation and dominate on the outside 

4. Michael Carter’s ability to break tackles

Disappointments

1. Injuries again

2. Q Williams & JFM’s lack of consistency winning 1:1s

3. Putrid run defense

4. Except for Bryce Hall (& Mann in the final couple games), the entire 2020 draft class with special recognition to Mims & Becton

Elijah and Carter have to be on everyones list, i knwo we all wanted them to produce but both seem to have answered the need completely. Both of them looks like starters already if not the number 1's. And Moore is short as hell.

Disappointment

For me it has to be MIM's I really thought with playing time and opportunity he was goning to at least contribute in someway, dude played his way off the team into Stephen Hill territory I think.

• Upvote 2

Just now, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Good list, however Michael Carter was 2nd only to his teammate Javonte Williams at UNC in broken tackles in 2020 NCAA season. For that skill to have translated shouldn't be a surprise. Coincidently they're both 1 and 2 in their rookie season in the same stat in the NFL this season. Are they both baby oiling their jerseys? 

what does this mean?

• Haha 1

Positives:

~As everybody said, Berrios was a pleasant surprise

~Zach had obvious improvement, which is always nice to see

~OL was great, which means that JD's OL specialty was pretty much as advertised

~Recent draft was great

~LaFleur took a nice turn after he moved to the booth

Negatives:

~Becton's injury was frustrating, especially when the OL seemed to perform better without him

~Mims was a no-show pretty much every game he wasn't inactive

~Zach shouldn't have been handed the starting job, he showed at the start that he didn't deserve it yet

~Injuries

I think mine matches pretty much everybody else's, except for the fact that I haven't seen any mention of LaFleur yet

• Upvote 1

Positives

Improved play of the offensive line over the course of the year

Berrios

CarterRB

Negatives

Maye

Becton

Defensive line not able to pressure QB or stop the run

Wilson backtracking on his passes

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hex said:

Positives:

~As everybody said, Berrios was a pleasant surprise

~Zach had obvious improvement, which is always nice to see

~OL was great, which means that JD's OL specialty was pretty much as advertised

~Recent draft was great

~LaFleur took a nice turn after he moved to the booth

Negatives:

~Becton's injury was frustrating, especially when the OL seemed to perform better without him

~Mims was a no-show pretty much every game he wasn't inactive

~Zach shouldn't have been handed the starting job, he showed at the start that he didn't deserve it yet

~Injuries

I think mine matches pretty much everybody else's, except for the fact that I haven't seen any mention of LaFleur yet

Great call on LaFleur.  Completely agree.  Think we are in good hands.  I’m not convinced of his defensive counterpart 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

My biggest appointment was the health of Elijah Moore.  Missed all of camp and then missed a bunch a regular season games as well.  He needs to stay on the field next year.

I agree......I'm surprised this has not been more of a concern among the fans. 

Positives:

The 2021 draft class, overall 

Michael Carter and Elijah Moore looking like longterm weapons for this offense  

Zach Wilson’s improvement in the second half of the year and physical toughness in the face of plenty of big hits 

The OL being solid overall despite injuries and different lineups 

Some nice flashes from the young cornerbacks 

Some inspiring performances against good and/or elite teams (Titans, Bengals, Bucs).

Negatives:

A third consecutive season hijacked by a plethora of injuries  

Zach Wilson’s early barrage of turnovers and accuracy issues. 

Way, way, way too many dropped passes

The defense being generally terrible.

The kicking situation before Pineiro 

A second consecutive year going winless in the division 

• Upvote 2

Positives:

Coach Saleh seems to be the steady hand with a positive message the players have bought into

The D was much improved as the season concluded

The stinky little Frenchman proved to be imaginative and innovative in his play design and calling

The 2021 draft class was the bomb

Negatives:

Injuries

Injuries

Injuries

Mims lack of development

• Upvote 1

Positives:

Moore , Carter, AVT  and to some extent Zach looking like quality draft picks.

The play of the young corners , get a pass rush and a LB who can cover and they will look even better.

Maturation of Lafleur in his play calling and adjustments.

Play of the Oline when mainly healthy. Hopefully they resign Fant get Becton healthy and slide him to RT. Draft a road garder Guard or Center and this Oline will become very solid.  

Negatives:

Dline , Dline , Dline for the most experienced group on Defense they sure didn't play like it for most of the season.

Zach's inconsistency especially with the short to intermediate passing game, also his propensity to not step up in the pocket.

The young hybrid LB's/safeties Nasilrdeen/Sherwood 

Injuries 

First of all, I had very low win expectations from the 2021 Jets. This season to me was about Reps.

So, I was pleased that they  played so many kids/rookies. This gives management a better knowledge of whom to keep, and whom to cut.

I was pleased  with Zach’s development after his injury. Zero INTs over the last 5 games ( correct me if I’m wrong) is progress.  remember Sam and Sanchez eventually got cut because they were turnover machines. I hope that he commits to improving over the off season, both physically and mentally.

Bryce Hall- I think we found our CB1

as for disappointments:

Mims;

Not addressing the TE position;

No field goal kicker;

No veteran QB to help develop Zach until they realized this and brought back Flacco.

Ps, injuries are part of the game. They’re more glaring when you lack depth.

I was mostly bummed when they came out looking like it was last year still.  Then the guy people were so pumped about couldn't make a 5 yard dump off.  So there was some frustration that I learned to work through.

Positives

Despite all the injuries, this team played hard every week and got better as the season went along. Looks like we have a coaching staff.

The draft class looks to be the real deal.

Berrios + Quincy Williams

Mosley     did everything possible. 

Negatives

Becton      time to grow up and prove you want to play at this level.

Q     still waiting to see a true difference maker. Doesn't move the needle nearly enough. Regressed.

The two Davis FA's. 

Another 0-6 Div record. Feels like we root for Rutgers.

Positives

1.  LeFleur maturing and growing into his OC role    

2. Team buying into Saleh's culture

3. 2021 Draft class,    

4. Development of Bryce Hall solidifying 1 CB position moving forward    /  Zack not getting injured going into offseason

Negatives

1. Becton injury, his conditioning, and does he have a love for football

2. Amount of injuries this team continues to have

3.  Amount of holes this team still needs to fill

4. Lack of development of numerous players....... Ashtyn Davis is backup at best, Mims is a bust, most of 2020 draft, Cashman, Edoga, 

Positives:

1. O-line was improved overall.  

2. Moore and Carter look like possible keepers going forward.

3. Didn't finish 32nd in Offense for a change.  

4. Mosely played well after 2 years off.

5. (BONUS) Ugh.  Berrios getting All-Pro at KR I suppose.

Negatives:

1. Wilson clear-cut worst QB in the NFL as a rookie.

2. Mims a total bust pick when we desperately needed a WR to step up.

3. Defense historically bad under our new Defensive Head Coach.

4. Becton misses the entire year, tarnishing the only truly good-looking 2020 pick in one play.

5. (BONUS) Our big $$ big name Edge FA Signing.......hurt before he ever took a snap that counts.  Our big $$ big name WR FA Signing got dropsy disease, then hurt.  Because Jets.  And injuries.

Nothing original here..

Positive

1) Hbs were all better than I thought

2) Berrios and Special teams (not the kickers)

3) CBs were better than I thought (I expected worst in the league instead of merely below average)

4) Moore didnt dissappoint.

Negative

1) ZW was much more RAW than I expected, and I have low odds for his future.

2) Becton.  I still have faith but this would be pretty catastrophic if he busts after such promise in his rookie year

3) Entire DL other than JFM being overrated.  Q Williams had a very dissappointing year overall, Fatu showed regression etc.

4) Lbers are a huge need.  Mosley is not a scheme fit, and while he looks ok at times, you see major film issues everytime hes out there..  Williams makes splashy plays but is RAW as heck.   Overall, maybe the worst unit in the NFL and largely responsible for the putrid run D.

5) Injuries to Maye and our edge.  Two best defenders being out really sucks.

6) Safeties and TEs are garbage.

7) Mims.  

8 GVR

Positives

young DBs competed and played with some swagger

Zac Wilson didn’t get frazzled,or deer in headlight look after tough start. Looked tough and calm against buffalo

moore can be real deal

Carter can be real deal

Berrios is more than gadget returner

Negatives

Injuries and more injuries

Becton 

LB were non existent 

no TE on roster