Dave Gettleman vs Mike McCagnan

NYJets43

Which one of these men was a worse GM?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who was a worse GM?

• Mike McCagnan 24-40
    • Dave Gettleman 19-46

18 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

If I remember correctly, Fitzy was already gone at that point.  They had Hackenberg, Bryce Petty, and Josh McCown on the roster.

Not a very inspiring QB room. So I guess Mac was worse than Gettleman for this reason alone 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Do you know where you saw that? I’ve only seen that on these boards repeated numerous times. I really am dying to see there board from that year 

Few expected Mayfield to go #1, and definitely not at the time the trade-up was made, like a month before the draft. Back then it was Darnold-Rosen with Allen a wildcard with no consensus slot (could go 1st or last among the top 4), and his then worse case scenario was taking Mayfield at #3. 

Also it’s the height of hindsight for people to claim - back then or now - that Maccagnan traded up for Darnold. Macstewpid traded up for a pick that became Darnold after the QB very unexpectedly slipped not just past #1 but then #2 as well. Macc himself didn’t start celebrating until the Giants took Barkley, and iirc his reported reaction was to go over to Woody & Bowles and explicitly say they didn’t anticipate this being an option, and he’s going to draft Darnold here if it’s ok with them. 

If Darnold went to the Giants at #2 he was taking Rosen at #3. Allen was more of a project pick back then and Rosen the more polished (or that’s what they were saying). Given that, there’s no way a guy who waited a year after taking a box safety over 2 QBs then takes the then-perceived riskier of the two.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CSNY said:

Not a very inspiring QB room. So I guess Mac was worse than Gettleman for this reason alone 

This is the point I've been trying to make for years to the people on here who loved the Jamal Adams pick. Mac took a safety over DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes with his QB room looking as described in my previous post.

I've seen a few people on here talk about how the 2020 draft will haunt us for years. Wrong. 2017 will, and has. It's our lowest point in draft history, period. Worse than passing on Dan Marino for Ken O'Brien. Way worse.

Deciding that Mahomes and Watson couldn’t turn around the locker room culture and then trading up for Sam wasn’t great strategery 
gettleman just a garden variety failure oh his QB pick not working out
Cause Watson worked out ?????

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...