Becton has started working with a nutritionist

Rhg1084

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

So what you're saying while he may, in fact, be a big fat lazy slob, at least he was doing all the right things in terms of eating and nutrition.

Well, that certainly puts the narrative on its head.

No.  The quote was intended to show that "working with a nutritionist" is nothing new.   And most likely additional spin to a life-long issue.  Sort of like folks who are perpetually in the cycle of dieting and gaining the weight back.

Personally, I have no issue with Becton's weight.  If he can play competitively in the NFL at 500 pounds?  Vaya con dios.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kmnj said:

some how Joe was able to draft a worse WR than StephenHill in Mims and a player worse than another Jets high draft pick lineman that busted out in Dave Cadigan

Thanks Joe

Becton was a top 10 tackle (per PFF) the 2nd half of his rookie year. There are legit concerns about his durability/desire, but it's way way too early to call him a bust. 

Mims on the other hand.....

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, rangerous said:

he's a young big guy who probably never had to worry about these things before.  good that he's doing this.  it should help his game and also help him in the future.

Becton had serious weight issues prior.  This was a huge red flag and taking him so high was a mistake.  And for the Jets to NOT be all over this during his rehab just shows why this organization continues to be a sh*t show...

https://www.nj.com/jets/2020/04/how-jets-mekhi-becton-transformed-his-overweight-body-in-16-months-and-why-6000-calories-a-day-is-now-part-of-his-plan-to-dominate-the-nfl.html

This was the start of a 16-month, life-changing makeover for Becton, a prodigious, 6-foot-7 offensive tackle who had let his weight balloon to 389 pounds by the time Sirignano started working with him in January of 2019, as Louisville’s new strength and conditioning coach.

• Thumb Down 1

Becton is not going to weigh or look like a 6-7 basketball player.  

But if he can lean himself out a bit he would be more durable/healthier.  He does have a funny look to him.  Evan Neal looks healthier, and he is about the same size.   If possible, I would take Neal at 4 and roll with the two of them at LT and RT and be willing to let one walk after their contracts are over.  

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Why does it seem like half the Jets fans on this site actively root for Becton to fail/bust? 

It’s not limited to Becton. 

I guess it’s more fun to dump on our own players than to root for them to succeed. Folks LOVE being “right” on the internetz. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

No.  The quote was intended to show that "working with a nutritionist" is nothing new.   And most likely additional spin to a life-long issue.  Sort of like folks who are perpetually in the cycle of dieting and gaining the weight back.

Personally, I have no issue with Becton's weight.  If he can play competitively in the NFL at 500 pounds?  Vaya con dios.  

I was joking. Was directed at folks screaming “it’s about ********* time!!”

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s not limited to Becton. 

I guess it’s more fun to dump on our own players than to root for them to succeed. Folks LOVE being “right” on the internetz. 

Having expectations for pro athletes isn’t dumping on them. Becton had enough flags predraft which is why none of this has been overly surprising. Frustration over Becton to date is more of an indictment of Douglas for not doing enough research pre draft.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Having expectations for pro athletes isn’t dumping on them. Becton had enough flags predraft which is why none of this has been overly surprising. Frustration over Becton to date is more of an indictment of Douglas for not doing enough research pre draft.

Having “expectations” is one thing. Calling him a big fat lazy slob and a bust is not a fair characterization of “expectations”.  

I guess that’s just more fun for folks who like to dump on him. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Having “expectations” is one thing. Calling him a big fat lazy slob and a bust is not a fair characterization of “expectations”.  

I guess that’s just more fun for folks who like to dump on him. 

Well I’d agree there. Dumping on him isn’t going to help. But this is also a big boy league. He needs to figure it out regardless of mean things said on the internet.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Well I’d agree there. Dumping on him isn’t going to help. But this is also a big boy league. He needs to figure it out regardless of mean things said on the internet.

I don’t think he cares about mean things or being defended on the internet.

My commentary is directed at JN members. 

We don’t effect them. 

18 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean you would think being a professional athlete he would be working with one this whole time, especially a guy his size. However it’s good he’s taking his weight seriously 

The fact that he has been a pro for tow seasons and had not done this before is alarming.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

The fact that he has been a pro for tow seasons and had not done this before is alarming.

That's the biggest worry I had.

The Jets knew his weight and shape were serious problem for him in the past.  Not making sure this wasn't happening when he was rehabbing is very worrisome.  

As an organization and GM - when you take a chance like this on such a high draft pick - you must then take actions above and beyond normal procedures.

• Post of the Week 1

So in summary: 

Cons

-Struggles to control his weight

-Sat out an entire season with an injury I’ve watched overweight girls play through in basketball without missing a game because they love to play

-Failed a drug test he knew about a year in advance 

-Questioned if he loves to play football 

-Horrible all through camp against speed rushers 

Pros

-Very large human

-Big run blocker 

-Played well as a rookie 

-Graded as a top young prospect by many in pro football 

-Looked cool walking into joint practice at Green Bay 

Hopefully he is hungry for proving doubters wrong and not hungry for cheese burgers 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

That's the biggest worry I had.

The Jets knew his weight and shape were serious problem for him in the past.  Not making sure this wasn't happening when he was rehabbing is very worrisome.  

As an organization and GM - when you take a chance like this on such a high draft pick - you must then take actions above and beyond normal procedures.

This organization has been sloppy at best in the past 3 regimes. 

• Upvote 1