Jump to content

Mock Off-season


BurntDice
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I got bored with the day off and made a mock offseason. I just kept mims because I didn’t know what to do with him. All salary cap figures for FA are taken from Spotrac. What do you guys think?  

Mock Off-season 

Cuts 

Ryan Griffin +$3.2

Perine +$1

Cashman +$1

Rankins +$5.5

GVR  +$3.5

 

Re-signings 

Barrios $5

Feeney $3

Coleman $1.5

White $3

Pienero $2

Phillips $1

 

FA Signings

 

Connor Williams (25 years old G Dallas) $13

Justin Reid (24 S Texans) $8

David Njoku ( 25 TE Brown’s) $6.9

Chris Godwin (25 WR Buccaneers) $18.3 

DJ Jones (26 DT 49ers) $5

 

Draft

1a Kyle Hamilton S

Went with the best player in the draft. Hamilton can play both safety roles and will be a force all over the field. 

1b Sauce Gardner CB

. He’s given up 0 TDs during college. He locks down his guy constantly. Solid tackler for the most part. I’d like him to put on a few lbs to help jam wrs at the line. 

2a Ojabo/Walker/Sanders/Jackson/Johnson EDGE

After some thought I believe that waiting till the early 2nd is the best spot to go edge. These guys are all about the same and at least 1 of them will be here. I’m hoping it’s Walker. 

2b Darian Kinnard T/G

Perfect fit for this team as a tackle. He can also play guard if needed. He’ll be the backup for both positions during the season and should definitely get plenty of snaps. Fant is on the last year of his deal and Becton coming back from injury we need someone for the future. 

3 Chad Muma LB

I love Muma as a fit for this D. Athletic, very smart, team captain, and from what I’ve read is a great communicator. He’s everything the joe d looks for in a player. 

4a Wandale Robinson/Alec Pierce/John Metchie WR

 I’m hoping it’s Robinson here, but after the bowl game I’m guessing he goes in the 2nd or 3rd. I like pierce and Metchie a lot too and we need young depth at wr. 

4b James Cook Rb

Cook is a great receiving back who will compliment Carter very well. 

5a Charlie Kolar/Jeremy Ruckert/James Mitchell/Josh Whyle TE

I want McBride too, but the TE depth is just so good this year I’m waiting to take one of these guys to pair with Njoku. 

5b Dylan Purham G/C

Developmental center prospect. He’s very athletic and has all the tools to be a solid starter in a year or 2. Will be a backup c/g while he learns. 

Roster

 

Offense

 

Qb Wilson, White

RB Carter, Cook, Coleman 

WR Godwin, Davis, Moore, Robinson/Pierce/Metchie, Barrios, Mims

TE Njoku, Rookie, Yeboah 

T Becton, Fant, Kinnard, Edoga, McDermott 

G AVT, Williams, Feeney, Clark

C McGovern, Parham 

 

Defense 

 

Edge Lawson, Rookie, Phillips, Huff

DT Williams, JFM, Jones, Marshall 

LB Williams, Mosley, Muma, Sherwood, Nas

CB Hall, Gardner, Carter, Echols, Guidry

S Reid, Hamilton, Davis, Pinnock

 

K Pienero/kicker competition 

 

P Mann

 

 

This gives us solid depth and a much improved roster. I can see this team competing for the playoffs with this roster. Every fa signed still has 4+ years left in their prime. The ol needs depth in the worst way so I addressed it while adding a solid starter in Williams. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a different take on approach so I commend you for that. I just dont love the idea of investing a premium pick on a CB for this D. Id rather take the shot at EDGE and get whoever they like most. Also don't want to bank on Njoku so much that we wait that long for a TE. No complaints on the options there. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

It's a different take on approach so I commend you for that. I just dont love the idea of investing a premium pick on a CB for this D. Id rather take the shot at EDGE and get whoever they like most. Also don't want to bank on Njoku so much that we wait that long for a TE. No complaints on the options there. 

My only thing is that I view all the other edges after the top 2 in about the same tier. I have Walker and Ojabo above the rest but not by much. Just playing the numbers game here. 
 

Sauce Garder is exactly the kind of cb that fits this scheme. Long and good in zone coverage. He’s one of the best man corners in the draft too.  I just don’t see hall as a #1 corner. He’d be a great #2 guy. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BurntDice said:

My only thing is that I view all the other edges after the top 2 in about the same tier. I have Walker and Ojabo above the rest but not by much. Just playing the numbers game here. 
 

Sauce Garder is exactly the kind of cb that fits this scheme. Long and good in zone coverage. He’s one of the best man corners in the draft too.  I just don’t see hall as a #1 corner. He’d be a great #2 guy. 

At the end of the day logic is good. Wouldn't love it personally, but I can live with it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

FA feels a bit overwhelming but I like it. I’m starting to believe that the Jets will draft Sauce Gardner no matter what. It’s just a vibe but it feels right.

I think so too. He just seems like a great fit. I believe they’ll take one of Gardner or Kyler Gordon. Both just fit so well. Hall seems like a #2 to me and Echols isn’t good enough to be a #2. We need a #1 corner 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

FA feels a bit overwhelming but I like it. I’m starting to believe that the Jets will draft Sauce Gardner no matter what. It’s just a vibe but it feels right.

What’s interesting about a Gardner/Hall combo would be that Saleh rarely travels the CB in his system, similar to what U of Cincinnati did with Gardner and Bryant.    Both Hall and Gardner played the vast majority of their reps on the boundary side of the field.   One of them would have to move to the field side.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

What’s interesting about a Gardner/Hall combo would be that Saleh rarely travels the CB in his system, similar to what U of Cincinnati did with Gardner and Bryant.    Both Hall and Gardner played the vast majority of their reps on the boundary side of the field.   One of them would have to move to the field side.  

If we took a CB over an Edge, WR in the 1st rd, I'd take a two yr sabatical from this team. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

FA feels a bit overwhelming but I like it. I’m starting to believe that the Jets will draft Sauce Gardner no matter what. It’s just a vibe but it feels right.

Interesting. I believe that there is no chance whatsoever the Jets take a CB in RD1 pretty much as long as Saleh is here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Interesting. I believe that there is no chance whatsoever the Jets take a CB in RD1 pretty much as long as Saleh is here.

 

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

If we took a CB over an Edge, WR in the 1st rd, I'd take a two yr sabatical from this team. 

The 49ers spent big on Richard Sherman when Saleh was there. Saleh also stated that he wants CBs that win on 3rd down. Halfway thru the year Bryce Hall started to travel across the defensive formation rather than staying on the left . Too much narrative not enough analysis when saying that drafting a CB in round 1 is a bad idea. 

Drafting Stingley is a bad idea though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

 

The 49ers spent big on Richard Sherman when Saleh was there. Saleh also stated that he wants CBs that win on 3rd down. Halfway thru the year Bryce Hall started to travel across the defensive formation rather than staying on the left . Too much narrative not enough analysis when saying that drafting a CB in round 1 is a bad idea. 

Drafting Stingley is a bad idea though. 

The 49rs didn't draft Sherman with a first rd pick, and either did Seattle. You want your CB's to win on 3rd down, get them people that can get to the QB. Put it another way, I'd take a good to great edge  every day of the week over a comparable CB. Especially in the 1st rd. In today's NFL, with all the penalties called on DB's, corners drafted very high are a waste of resources.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Interesting. I believe that there is no chance whatsoever the Jets take a CB in RD1 pretty much as long as Saleh is here.

The thing is that saleh had a #1 cb in Sherman on both the hawks and 9ers so there was no need to draft one 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

 

The 49ers spent big on Richard Sherman when Saleh was there. Saleh also stated that he wants CBs that win on 3rd down. Halfway thru the year Bryce Hall started to travel across the defensive formation rather than staying on the left . Too much narrative not enough analysis when saying that drafting a CB in round 1 is a bad idea. 

Drafting Stingley is a bad idea though. 

Obviously CB is important in Saleh's defense just not the first round types of CBs. The Jets can still get the top fits at CB for their defense in the 3rd round and later. 1st round QBs are typically man up guys and that would be largely wasted in the scheme. I think we are just so used to the attacking types of 3-4 defenses where CB is close to the most important position to run effectively. Sherman was not a first round pick and signing FA have different impacts on building a team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, section314 said:

The 49rs didn't draft Sherman with a first rd pick, and either did Seattle. You want your CB's to win on 3rd down, get them people that can get to the QB. Put it another way, I'd take a good to great edge  every day of the week over a comparable CB. Especially in the 1st rd. In today's NFL, with all the penalties called on DB's, corners drafted very high are a waste of resources.

Starting to believe this as well.

While Sauce is a complete player and undeniably great, I feel like we're better served prioritizing scoring points and, to a much lesser extent, rushing the passer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

The 49rs didn't draft Sherman with a first rd pick, and either did Seattle. You want your CB's to win on 3rd down, get them people that can get to the QB. Put it another way, I'd take a good to great edge  every day of the week over a comparable CB. Especially in the 1st rd. In today's NFL, with all the penalties called on DB's, corners drafted very high are a waste of resources.

Agreed.  Especially since Saleh places such a high importance on being able to pressure the QB with only 4 linemen.   Look at the players that were drafted in the first round on the teams he was coordinator for.  Lots of pass rushers, no CBS.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

The thing is that saleh had a #1 cb in Sherman on both the hawks and 9ers so there was no need to draft one 

Sherman was drafted in what, the 4th rd? Not saying Saleh doesn't want/need them, just that his experience has been you get them later in draft or in FA. Look at last year....we took like 5-6 on day 3, and two of them had nice seasons, and Pinnock was moved to S. Just don't think they see the need to take them high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sherman was drafted in what, the 4th rd? Not saying Saleh doesn't want/need them, just that his experience has been you get them later in draft or in FA. Look at last year....we took like 5-6 on day 3, and two of them had nice seasons, and Pinnock was moved to S. Just don't think they see the need to take them high.

You could say that about any position. Why take a qb in the first when you can get a qb in the 6th look at Brady. 
 

sometimes you just strike gold like the hawks did with Sherman. Hall isn’t a #1 cb and Echols isn’t a #2 cb. Taking players in the 4th round and expecting them to be a #1 cb is a huge gamble 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You could say that about any position. Why take a qb in the first when you can get a qb in the 6th look at Brady. 
 

sometimes you just strike gold like the hawks did with Sherman. Hall isn’t a #1 cb and Echols isn’t a #2 cb. Taking players in the 4th round and expecting them to be a #1 cb is a huge gamble 

So is taking them in the 1st.  Give me a pass rush, and we can live with a team full of #2&#3 CB's. Give me a lousy pass rush, like we currently have, and two #1 corners, and we'll still get picked apart. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

So is taking them in the 1st.  Give me a pass rush, and we can live with a team full of #2&#3 CB's. Give me a lousy pass rush, like we currently have, and two #1 corners, and we'll still get picked apart. 

My thing is that when you look at this edge class there isn’t much of a difference between the other 6 or so guys after hutch and thibs. Why reach for one at 10 when you can get one at 35?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BurntDice said:

My thing is that when you look at this edge class there isn’t much of a difference between the other 6 or so guys after hutch and thibs. Why reach for one at 10 when you can get one at 35?

See, we can agree .😁 I mentioned in another thread that I could see us waiting until Rd 2 to address edge. It crazy to really even think about it now, though, until at least after Senior Bowl week. The one guy I think who could be on our radar is the NC State guy Ekwuno, OT/G.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, section314 said:

See, we can agree .😁 I mentioned in another thread that I could see us waiting until Rd 2 to address edge. It crazy to really even think about it now, though, until at least after Senior Bowl week. The one guy I think who could be on our radar is the NC State guy Ekwuno, OT/G.  

It definitely makes sense.
 

I like icky a lot, but from what I’ve seen Cross might be a better fit as far as top 10 OL. 
 

I really like Kinnard as a fit in this system. He should be available in the 2nd and is a perfect fit for this scheme. He’s played in a zone blocking scheme in Kentucky and is very athletic while also very strong and bullies guys at the line. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

It definitely makes sense.
 

I like icky a lot, but from what I’ve seen Cross might be a better fit as far as top 10 OL. 
 

I really like Kinnard as a fit in this system. He should be available in the 2nd and is a perfect fit for this scheme. He’s played in a zone blocking scheme in Kentucky and is very athletic while also very strong and bullies guys at the line. 

You bring up a great point.....this is a very specific blocking scheme. Some good guys may not be fits, and vice versa. Another interesting guy is Zion Johnson from BC. believe he could play both G/C. but, is he a fit for the scheme?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

You bring up a great point.....this is a very specific blocking scheme. Some good guys may not be fits, and vice versa. Another interesting guy is Zion Johnson from BC. believe he could play both G/C. but, is he a fit for the scheme?

Zion should be a good fit. He has experience in zone too. He’ll probably be an exclusive guard/C prospect though and not tackle. He has very good strength and good not great athleticism 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Whether FA or draft we need two versatile TEs.  Zach needs a safety blanket.  

I did a mock last night, and traded down twice in RD #1, and got two additional 2"s out of it. Took Wr (Burks) at like 14, and Johnson(edge) at like 23. In the 2nd, took both McBride and Wyndemayer. I really agree with you, need two bonafide #1 TE's this offseson.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...